My constant companion (ipad) is dying! | FerrariChat

My constant companion (ipad) is dying!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Fast_ian, Jan 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Picked up an ipad 2 pretty much when they first came out (3 years back?) and it's been pretty much at my side 24x7 ever since.

Wonderful device IMO.

Problem is, the solitary moving part in the thing, the home button, is now very reluctant to respond.

Guess it's time to retire it to be a movie viewer or something and pick up a new one.

Makes me sad. Feels like I'm losing an old friend! :(

Cheers,
    Ian

2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    When my wife's iPhone4 button started to do that, she dropped in in a sink full of soapy water (accidental). A day later, it dried out and was working like new. A few months later it started acting up and again it got dropped in water (not so sure I believe that one was accidental) and it worked again!

I don't recommend trying it, but well... who knows. I've also ready that spraying around the edges of the button with compressed air from one of those keyboard/electronics cleaners can clear out thet gunk that's built up which is more than likely what's causing the issue.

That said, the new iPads are wonderful!

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Have you thought about the mini? I think it's the perfect size for a tablet.
    I just got the Surface RT for school, perfect for what I need, but a little too big for a tablet.

4. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The horror!😁

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've got the 4 (I think...I won it but gave it to my little brothers because their Ipad2 got stolen). The display is so much clearer! For the rest I'm sure it's all the same. I don't spend much time on the things.

They're on it a lot and have had no issues. When they're not on it someone else is. Stunning bit of kit though.

6. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I have a 4 and my father just bought a Mini w/ Retina display. The new models got so much smoother interaction and so much better picture quality than the Gen 1. Games are miles better, if that's important to you.
    I don't think you will miss your old one once you start using a newer model - it's the same just better (as you would expect).

I feel the Mini is a bit too small (I love big screens!) but an excellent choice if you travel a lot (takes much less space). If you're like me and enjoy an iPad-magazine from time to time, the lighter Air model is the way to go (I bought the 4 as a long time ownership purchase, but the Air was launched just two months after and that bugs me a lot!).

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks for the 'moral support ' guys! ;)

Interesting tale re dropping it in water! :eek:

The only place compressed air may have a chance is into the dock connector, which is right next to the (sealed) home button..... I've got some around somewhere, I'll give it a go and report back.

I've checked both (the air & mini) out online and these old eyes, coupled with my big fingers definitely want the Air. And by all accounts, the retina display is a thing of beauty.

Can't be dealing with balky technology these days! As I said, it just feels like I'm losing an old friend..... This thing has seen some pretty serious use over the years.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I never use my ipad. Prefer the keypad on my mac book air. Ian, what did you use it for? What apps do you have on it?

There's a guy who can repair your button for you. South San Francisco. Any interest?

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough. We all have our preferences. I was initially gonna pick up a 'real' keyboard when I got the 2, but have got fast enough for me on the virtual one.

As I mentioned, it (& now the new one!) pretty much never leaves my side. Email. Surfing. Podcasts. iBooks. (Sports Illustrated paper subscription would be cancelled if possible for example.) Radio. Sport coverage/scores. Network scans (although it seems the primo app for that has gone away). Weather. Navigation (with the, at the time, mega expensive, Navigon app. But I still get map updates for it for free). Netflix, Hulu and the like, via Airplay to the TV.

And of course, most importantly, a VPN to the UK for F1 coverage! (Although, that won't echo over Airplay unfortunately).

I'm not a gamer, but this new screen may make me one!.....

I have a pretty new Mini on my desk, but rarely use it; Spreadsheets with the new 'Numbers' and a home design program, but that's about it TBH. I love the 'freedom' it gives me.....

Sure! As long as it's 'reasonable' $, I don't think I could ever have too many iPads! ;) leave one around for guests, or in the toilet!.......

Cheers
    Ian

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Thanks for the info. I can't get fast on the iphone or ipad keyboards...maybe I just need to practice. Would love to abandon the weight of the laptop, but I do a lot of picture editing and I need my file system access. Are the picture editing apps good enough to rival the desktop ones? I use ACDSee mainly, even though it's not as good on the Mac side.

It will be cheaper than the kiosk folks at the mall. But you will have to go to him in SSF...however, he can fix it while you wait so only one trip required.

Or, drop it off on the way in to the city, pick it up on the way back.

Send Shakeel a text message at 650.861.2810.

11. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    First, though, try this:
    While iPad is lying flat, drip a healthy amount of Goo Gone all around the edge of the button. Press the button and tilt the iPad gently in all directions, then hold it vertically while pressing the home button repeatedly to squeeze out any gunk from behind it, letting it drain to the bottom of the case. If you hold it upside down, there's a chance that the runny stuff will end up behind the display, so be careful to not tilt it in that direction too much.
    Repeat four or five times.
    Then repeat with rubbing alcohol.

Might do the trick. Let us know if it works.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    And how come the VPN link to the UK wouldn't transmit over airplay? Did you ever try the wired connection through the cable that splits out into RCA connectors?

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    We beg to differ, which again is fine.... ;)

Sure, I wouldn't want to write a book on it, but I just love the 'freedom' it gives me.

Dayum!..... Wish I'd have known that yesterday!.... It's not even an 'app' per se but simply a change in settings; 'Enable assistive technology'. Puts a virtual home button on the screen (along with some other pretty cool things).

Works a treat! Thanks!

I now have a backup iPad. :)

Haven't tried the wired option. - Loses a lot of its appeal with wires..... Someone, somewhere, suggested 'Airparrot' recently, but that echoes a MacOS screen, not iOS.

Anyway, there's a long thread (actually many of course ;) ) on the Sky Sports forums on the topic. Their broadcast license explicitly forces them to disable airplay in their app. No idea how they do it, but it puts the Sky sports logo on the video feed, although it does feed the audio to the TV..... Apparently, many of the 'broadcast' feeds do the same, but this is the only one I care about!

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Firstly, thanks for the contact for the fix. Pete's link 'solved' it for me.... Albeit a little too late! ;)

I'm no guru, but everything I've read, and the little I do, suggests the latest release of iPhoto for iOS is about as good as it gets.... I'm also starting to mess with their HDR option in the camera app. Very nice!

As for 'file system access', I had the same issue with iPhoto on the Mac *way* back. I deleted ****, and it was still there! I moved ****, and it still found it!... WTF! It seems to me, you've gotta get yer head around leaving the organization up to the app and not worry about it!

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Checked the usage in settings? Mine fills up from app updates. I'm not on iOS7, but I will be sad when my iPad goes. =/

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep, 'been there, done that'.... Thanks for the thought though.

I'm loving the new one though! And Pete's link returns the broken one to fully active status. :)

I'll try Zacks cabled approach with it, as I've got the new one as a remote control etc.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Let me/us know how it goes with the cabled approach. Thanks.

19. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    2 things to note when I got my iPad 3, I went with a 64gb over my first generation of 16gb and love the additional memory space but also I think because of the retinal display it takes a loooooooooong time to charge up. If I plug it in at 11pm with say 17% by 8am the next morning it is only at 89%. Wish these things could fully charge in a couple hours.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Over here, they have 3rd party service centers to help you with this solution. Normally, they charge between RM150-RM200 (45 US $) get the home button back on track.

A friend of mine dropped and smashed his old iPhone 3 GS, now the screen is all taped, but works perfectly fine :)