Hard Drive Recovery | FerrariChat

Hard Drive Recovery

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 4REphotographer, Jan 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So I did something pretty stupid, neglected my photography HDD when I got out of photography and had some Windows backup going to the same disk. I was cleaning out the backup stuff and somehow the disk corrupted, it was a secondary disk but it threw an error and wouldn't let the PC boot. I figured I could put it into an external housing and just pull the photos off and wipe the drive of the corrupt file, no dice. I can get it to mount, but it just won't open in explorer. Is there anything I can do? I have the vast majority of my good stuff uploaded online so I'm not ready to drop a ton of cash to get the stuff back, but I would like to have it if there's an easy way to do it.

Thanks!

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Chances are the file table was corrupted, which is basically the table of contents.

Any number of tools should be able to scan the drive directly and either rebuild the file table or bypass it entirely.

If you are comfortable linux, there are several free Linux utilities that could do it. Otherwise, hopefully someone can chime in with a solid Windows app (I can't remember the name of the one I've used in the past).

I'll try to think of it and if I can find it I'll post again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

3. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, haven't used Linux in years and even then I didn't know what I was doing, I'd definitely appreciate a windows app.

4. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It's not free, but it's worked for me and I've recovered 4 drives with it now. Beware it's *slow* - May take days if it's a big drive.

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Ian

6. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It looks like Recuva might just be working, it took some fighting to get the app to just boot up and scan, but I'm recovering my entire pictures folder now.

Thanks!