Galaxy S4 - Battery life | FerrariChat

Galaxy S4 - Battery life

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Feb 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have an S4 (my 2nd one after the first simply died) and the battery life is ridiculous. I can lose as much as 20% in half an hour while just reading texts/emails or internet.
    I read that i should turn off wifi/gps/bluetooth and any apps that might be running in the background. Might as well just turn off the phone...

I did turn off the gps/bluetooth which i dont use all the time but i need the wifi or Att will send me a nice bill every month.
    I also deemed the screen as much as possible. But still, the battery will not last more than a few hours without me actually calling anyone or streaming videos/listening to songs.

Anyone with the same issue?

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Mine chewed thru the battery as well. I downloaded an app called DU Battery Saver from the Google Play store for free and now it seems much more efficient. You could also pick up a second battery for about $10 as a spare.

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    If you need excellent battery life try Lg G2 , I'm a heavy user and I get 10-12 hours . Never got this type of life from any other .

I had s2, s3 , htc evo, evo 3d , evo lte , one. None were good for 6-7 hours max

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Moto Maxx HD ;)

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    If you have the device on with the screen off, how much battery are you using per hour?

Try an app like GSAM Battery monitor to find out what's using your battery life.

If you are in a Wifi area, keep it on Wifi, which will use less battery.

Also, if you are in an area of poor signal, usually that eats up the battery alot faster, since the phone is constantly trying to find a better signal.

How many apps are actively running? If you have apps that are constantly trying to access network/sync, etc., that could lead to diminished battery life.

Also, might want to check out XDA-Developers forum as they usually can help out with issues like this.

6. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    What applications do you run on the phone? Anything that runs constantly in the background - different type of weather app/widget than what is stock? Some sort of battery monitor?

I have an S4, as do several others that I know, and all of us have great (relative for a smart phone) battery life. I would say with moderate use throughout the day, texting/WhatsApp, email, browsing the web for about an hour, Facebook, etc I can get about 10 hours out of my battery. I do have a second battery that I take with me when I may not be near my computer or a charger for a while.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I get easily 12+ hours from my S4. My background apps are weather and our Ricambi America helpdesk/ticket system (Zendesk). I think keeping WiFi on -- in areas where you have a good signal -- seems to be easier on the battery than pure 4G.

I'd check what other apps you've got running. Something doesn't sound right.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think the only app that is always on is the weather because even my email are delayed. I feel like when the phone is idling, they simply wont come until i use the phone again at which time i will get a string of notifications.. I downloaded a battery app, killed GPS, killed Bluetooth, turned screen brightness all the way down and i do have a better battery life but then the phone is almost as useful as a 1995 GSM.

9. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have no problem with my S4. Charge it only once a day and get 12+ hrs usage.
    Bluetooth, GPS and WiFI are on all the time.
    I do get full bars on 4G tho. If I go a place where it gets switched to 3G coverage, the battery life is a different story.

10. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    A lot of battery apps tend to kill the battery even quicker, so I'd consider dumping that app. Are you using the same battery from your first phone? The battery may be defective.

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Something not right here unless the phone is searching for service a lot. I have 2 S4 and 2 S3 in the house and all are better than what you describe.
    With my S4 at home on WiFi I can easily get 2 days without charging.