Windows 7. Lost login password | FerrariChat

Windows 7. Lost login password

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tundraphile, Feb 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Wife has several devices which require passwords. Despite multiple suggestions from me that she consolidate or at least document them because she insists on unique pw that strike her fancy at the moment she types them, she of course will not listen to me and usually does whatever she wants.

Most devices: smart phone, kindle, email accounts, facebook...it is annoying to help her reset her passwrods when she forgets them with mind-numbing regularity but in the end no big deal.

Now she has done it though, recently changed her laptop password from the very simple (including hint on login screen) and cannot remember what it is. Needless to say she didn't make a backup password disc.

I found a couple of password hackers I will try tonight, and of course encourage her to remember what the hell password she put in. If those are unsuccessful, are there any other strategies to recover/reset the password? Otherwise it would be a full re-install of Win7 and data lost on the hard drive (although I might be able to get it off beforehand).

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, best strategy would be to let her figure out how to fix it herself so she doesn't keep making the same mistake.

3. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    yoda is on the money.

Just tell her to use a simple sentence and just change the last character or word like "l like using facebook1" "i like using facebook2" etc. Tho using a password manager is easier in the long run :eek:

Password Strength Checker l like using facebook1 Score: 100%

5. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
  6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Create an ubuntu install usb stick on your computer. Boot her computer with the usb stick. Click try Ubuntu (not Install Ubuntu). Use Ubuntu to browse the files on the computer and copy them to an external drive.

Then reinstall her OS and put her files back.

Or put the hard drive in an external enclosure and drag her files onto an external hard drive using your computer.

Then reinstall her OS and put her files back.

Neither methods will work if her hard drive is encrypted unless you know the key.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I ended up resetting the password by burning an ISO image on a CD and booting from that (post #3)

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    i have the same problem with my dear wife forgetting passwords ...

i've learnt (the hard way) to write them down ... and keep a copy in cloud ...

resetting the existing password isn't that difficult ...

take a look at these links ...

How To Reset a Windows 7 Password

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0U2SmUo8zA]Resetting windows 7 password without a password reset disk or Windows installation CD - YouTube[/ame]

My bad ... just noticed the date of the 1st post ...

:)

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Barnes & Noble carry a little address book thingy made for computer user names and passwords. Bought one for the wife and one for her mother. ;-)