Budget laptop for kids | FerrariChat

Budget laptop for kids

Discussion in 'Technology' started by forgeahead, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I promised my daughters their own laptops (primarily so they stop messing with mine!). I really want to keep them below $500 each. Does anybody have opinions on chromebooks? They'll use them for simple games, writing stories, music, and video chatting. I was pondering a surface with a keyboard (they have 1st gen I pads), which is somewhat over budget. I have perused some of the cheaper laptops but there is a dizzying array of options as you can imagine. I considered a refurb apple (obviously over budget) as we have many apple products and the transition would be smooth as well as less hassle with the operations. Any opinions?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Honestly if you want new, go to Newegg or Amazon.

If used is OK and you can tweak them to protect your kids, buy some used ones locally, and wipe them clean.

Then you can choose what the parental controls are.

Be sure to set them up separate accounts, on each laptop, assuming they may swap and share. This way it will contain the malware to one account, and you can see what is going on " if" you or your wife have to.

NEVER use the ADMIN account and let them loose online. Best.

3. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I bought a cheap (<$300) laptop (Asus, I think) for my 9-year old son at Best Buy. The specs aren't the best, but it's not too bad and the price was right. Looking on Best Buy's website, it looks like this is a really good deal:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellite-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/4114013.p?id=1219095669893&skuId=4114013&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=2

$299.99 for a quad-core laptop with 750 GB hard drive.

I bought my last laptop from Newegg. It arrived damaged (due to improper packaging). They replaced it, but did not refund the next-day shipping that I had paid, which ticked me off. I ended up having to eat the next-day shipping, but had to wait over a week and a half to get a working laptop.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nowadays, is a laptop really the way to go for kids? Or maybe an Android tablet is better suited?

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Buy used Mac airs, not sure it will fit your budget but they will be trouble free

6. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Good info here. Thanks guys.

7. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I bought an HP Pavilion G7 a little over a year ago, right in the $400-$500 range iirc and have been very happy with it.

8. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  9. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I don't have a link, but the Acer Aspire One is a pretty good netbook for the price.

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Asus transformer t100ta, full windows, converts to tablet, has full version of office home, 11 hour battery life, can find it for between $299 and $349. Can't beat it bang for the buck imo. I bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. I'm debating buying one for myself.