Just got new Android phone -- HTC One | FerrariChat

Just got new Android phone -- HTC One

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Moopz, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Just putting this out there because I have been an Android fan since 2009 while my family has been iPhone all the way. I've tried various phones over the years (Motorola, Samsung) and I have to say that HTC has really hit one out of the park with the new M8. It's a solid phone that is just packed with features. Camera is the weakest point but even that is above average and the software for photos is impressive. If you are in the market for a phone, you have to give it a look.

Sent from my HTC ONE (M8) using Tapatalk

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I just got a Nokia lumia 1020 and I would tell people to look at that, BECAUSE of the camera @ 41 megapixels. I use it as a phone and a camera, don't know about all that other crap.

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I have the HTC one , last year's model. It's a great phone but due to dropping it so much I need a new one soon. Thinking of switching to the LG G3, I can really see much of a difference between the One and the M8.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How's the battery life?

I had an HTC Thunderbolt a few years ago and it was crap and it literally took at least a minute to boot the phone up? How long does the One take?

5. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    In the two weeks I've had it, the longest it has lasted was 3 days. That's using continuous push emails for 3 accounts and light browsing on Tapatalk and about 2-3 hours talking on the phone total. I can get 2 days on a single charge on average, so I'd say a heavy user could easily get a full day no problem.

Boot up time is less than 15 seconds for sure, but I haven't timed it. I haven't had a single phone that would boot up in less than 30 seconds.

The IR unit is pretty cool as well. Controls my cable box and Samsung TV.

They really stepped their game up on this one.

Sent from my HTC ONE (M8) using Tapatalk

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for the info Anzir. I may be getting in a new phone next week. I'll have to give this serious consideration.

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Just got the Samsung S5. Coming from an S3. So far so good. The fingerprint sensor is interesting.

8. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Right now I'm leaning toward the S5. Water resistance is very important to me.

I'm also waiting to see if Verizon gets the Sony Z2.

The HTC is out for me. Its too long and again HTC continues to waste screen real estate with black bars top and bottom where almost no other phone does.

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Picked up the S5 today. So far so good. Only had it bout a few hour's.

10. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
  11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm not surprised as the same thing happened with the iphone. But I'll never use it. I wouldn't use it on any phone. I don't trust it.

12. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I had the Thunderbolt when it first came out. The battery on that was a joke. Had to charge the thing twice a day even if I wasn't using it.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I just picked up an S5 from the store minutes ago. Dislike! Strictly due to the tactile feel of the phone, and that if my thumb is able to reach the opposite edge of the touchscreen, that means my fingertips are unable to hold the phone securely. And I have large hands!

I loved the S3. Maybe I should go back to it

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #14 TexasF355F1, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    I'd give it a few days. I got a case made by Tech21 and I find it much more secure in my hand.

So far with almost a week with the S5 I like it. The battery is fine and I am able to get through a full day with heavy use, although coming from a Maxx HD it is taking a bit to get used to. The big disappointment for me is the dictionary on the keyboard. It's absolutely terrible. Of course I can download other keyboards to fix this, but it shouldn't be this bad.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    You talked me off the ledge. Got a case and screen protector and its much better tactile-wise.

16. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

My wife has just acquired an HTC M8 great phone very stylish but after my IPhone 5S oh so very complicated to learn and use.

I think it's got great potential and the guys in the know say its now " the one" however for guys like me ill stick with the one that's easiest to use.