Anybody else have their iMac slow down over time? | FerrariChat

Anybody else have their iMac slow down over time?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by peterp, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I ditched Microsoft a couple of years ago after being sick of PC's slowing down over time and becoming unusable or requiring an OS reinstall. I switched to an iMac 27". I was so sick of performance problems that I absolutely maxed out the iMac with 16GB memory, 3.4 Ghz i7 processor, maxed out graphics card -- I took the maximum of whatever performance options they offered. Initially, it was fast as lightning, but I notice it steadily slowing down over time. I'm not doing anything different than I ever was, but it just gets slower and slower -- as I type this is it actually locks up every 30 seconds or so I can't see what I'm typing for a couple of seconds and then it finally catches up.

When I look at CPU stats, "Safari web content" is usually a heavy user. Safari is not the most efficient browser, I know, but I'm not doing anything different with it now than when I first got the iMac and Safari was always lightning fast back then, so I feel that the computer has slowed down a lot. Even when I'm not running Safari, it feels slow with other applications like Word, Excel, etc. I'm still running 10.6.8 (with latest patches), but that's what I was running when I first got the computer and it was super fast back then.

Has anyone else had this problem with an iMac slowing down over time? Is there a solution?

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    i use a late 2008 iMac 27" ...

there are issues with it slowing down a bit but nothing serious enough to warrant a new machine ... i upgraded the RAM and it's ok ... nothing i use it for is CPU intensive ...

however, a die-hard apple user friend of mine tells me it's about time to upgrade before this one dies on me ...

i'm not particularly concerned since i have three separate data backup external hard disks online ...

:)

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the feedback MP. My iMac is from 2011, but the processor it has is actually more powerful than the processors available on the latest iMac (Apple - iMac). Mine has a 3.4Ghz i7 versus 3.4Ghz i5 on the latest and 16Gb memory vs 8Gb on the latest, so there is no way this computer should be slow.

There is a tool called iDefrag (Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag), which I suspect will help, but it sounds like Defrag is a somewhat risky -- this is from iDefrag's FAQ: https://coriolis.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200380191-How-safe-is-iDefrag-

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    peter:
    macs should undergo monthly scans of the hard drive to "repair permissions" (a unix process).
    if you haven't done this, this could explain your loss of performance.

click on your desktop to bring up the "finder menu".
    on the menu bar at the top of your monitor, click on "go"
    then click "utilities" on the drop down menu.
    scroll down to disk utility and click on that option.
    select the disk "macintosh hd" on the left.
    at the lower-left center, click on "verify disk permissions".
    this process could take a long time if you haven't done it before.
    after the computer has finished the verification process, click on "repair disk permissions"

5. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Do you have an SSD as your main drive (or are you using the Fusion drive hybrid technology)?

6. MaxPower

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    no problem mate ...

backup backup backup ... key to sleeping peacefully ...

:)

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Joel. I read a lot of "how to speed up your Mac" documents and never saw anything about the permissions repair. I ran it and it did take quite a while to verify and repair. Hopefully this will help a lot.

I did take a couple of other steps from another document I found online (would post a link, but I lost the URL in my reset of Safari :():
    1. Reset Safari (cleans everything (not just cache), does save your bookmarks but not your reading list
    2. Took a few items out of the startup
    3. Removed some junk from desktop (apparently stuff stored in desktop takes more resources from the OS than when it's in a document directory).

With the combination of the above, it definitely seems to be running faster. We will see over the next few days if it remains faster or bogs down again.

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't have the SSD, but really I'm not doing anything disk-intensive and with 16Gb real memory, it shouldn't need to cache a lot on disk. It was fast when I first got the computer, so I know it can go fast without SSD.

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Apple computers are notorious for "slowing down", and there is no shortage of suggestions on how to speed them up.

I fixed my 27" Imac performance issues, I bought an I7 Lenovo with windows 7 and ssd drives.

5x's faster than the Imac, no slow down in 2 years.

10. MaxPower

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    but it comes with a free "blue screen of death" ... eh?

:D

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Disagree, I've been a Mac user for 25 years. Probably been through ten models. Never once experienced a slow down on any of them. Monthly permissions repair is important but other than that, these things run forever. You couldn't give me a windows pc, no thanks ! ;-)

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pre Windows 7, PC's were absolutely horrible about slowing down. By almost all accounts, Windows 7 fixed a lot, so that may no longer be the case but I bailed from PC's at home around the time Windows 7 came out.

Honestly, I think both Apple and Microsoft (at least before Windows 7) purposely let them slow down because it is very much in there interest to do so -- most people buy a new computer rather than running the maintenance tools to fix them. It would be very easy for both Apple and Microsoft to include nightly or weekly jobs to prevent the slowdowns in their OS, or at least provide a one-click tool to do maintenance, but they don't do either of those things. My guess is that a significant chunk of their revenue is from people replacing their computers much sooner than they would need to hardware-wise because of the software slowdowns they allow to happen.

13. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I believe the slow down to be more of a forced obsolescence but that's just suspicions. (not necessarily this scenario)

Browser/Internet slow down is very diff from computer slow down.

View activity mgr & see what is taking up huge amt of resources during the slowest times. I never really had an issue with file permissions during my Macbook ownership. Neither has my father who tries to stay in the Apple world.

I'd just reintall the OS versus random code changes

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Um, no.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I do believe it's forced obsolescence honestly. My case is a little different than typical in that my "old" Mac has more horsepower than the latest iMac and it still has become deathly slow.

It did seem to run a bit better after doing the cleanups in my previous post, but after a day it's back to being sluggish. I even tried killing Safari and running everything on Firefox instead. Firefox has much better performance than Safari, but it still locks up frequently. I have 2 Firefox windows with a total of 14 tabs (none with active content) and it's still agonizingly slow and every few minutes has the pinwheels spinning for about 5 or 10 seconds.

I'm not sure what it takes to reinstall the OS. I do have Time Machine backing up to external disk, but I don't know how to reinstall the OS and I'm a little afraid of losing some data.

16. MaxPower

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    no stress ... ensure u backup to timemachine first ...

here's how to create a bootable usb ... after free OS download ... all explained ...

How to create a bootable OS X Mavericks USB install drive - CNET

17. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    If you google anything, you will get hits. Try yellow pink tuna jam prostitute. 3,150,000 hits.

Now add Mac to that. 1,870,000. It's an even bigger problem than them slowing down! Call the cops!

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Something's wrong.
    Check Activity Monitor.
    If that does not help, then start removing installed software at a time and test. Start with the big ones like Office. Just drag to trash and reboot.
    If that does not work, then backup your data to time machine.
    Reinstall OS.
    Reinstall software one at a time and test for a couple of days and then add another one.

This is definitely not normal.

19. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The results I posted are germane to the conversation.

The Macs slowing down is a problem, and there are tons of suggested remedies.

I own 11 macs, including the new Mac Pro, after 2-3 years even with repairing permissions, they slow down to what to me is an intolerable rate. I don't have that problem with any windows machine (Xp & Win 7), of which I own and maintain about 60 of.

The only exception to the slowdown I have noticed is in those situations where few files are created on the machine (guessing at less than 500).

If you haven't experienced a problem, that's great, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #21 peterp, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In my experience, there is absolute truth in both platforms slowing down. Microsoft invented the phenomenon IMO. The early versions of Microsoft was just a horribly crude operating system, so it very well may not have been intentional. Windows 7 is supposed to be much better, so I believe it works better but have no personal experience. My experience at the office with XP was that it slowed down and required admins to reinstall the OS once a year or so, but everyone's mileage will probably vary a lot based upon how the computer is used.

Regarding Macs, I think most replace their Macs around 2 to 3 years, probably attributing slowdowns to old technology when it probably isn't the case. In my case, I spent something like $3500+ to get a a mega/Watson/Cray/Supercomputer version of the iMac 3 years ago, so I am in the somewhat unique position of having technical specs are still higher than the current iMacs (double the memory, i7 vs. i5, same processor speed), but the slowdowns are very real. Researching on the Mac forums shows that this is not the least bit unusual. I have been a PC basher and Apple enthusiast since switching, but this issue is definitely not unique to me, except that my hardware is still current.

Macs are based upon UNIX, which should be much more robust in terms of not slowing down. We used to have Sun Unix machines in very high performance trading environments and those never slowed down even slightly. Among the thousands of Sun machines in the network, we had many clients who hadn't installed any software updates or even rebooted their Sun servers for 5 years or more and they still performed flawlessly with no slowdowns from original performance. Even though the processors in those 5 year+ machines were very slow compared to then current technology, they still performed exactly as well as they did when they were new. UNIX should be extremely robust, so I'm not sure why Apple performs so poorly -- honestly I think it's intentional.

On my machine, there is nothing weird going on in the Activity Monitor -- I can boot it up, open a few browser windows with a total of about 20 tabs, and it will soon start dragging down to unusable performance. This happens with both Safari and Firefox, though Firefox takes longer to drag down.

I'm not that anxious to update the OS to Mavericks for a variety of reasons, but I will if it's the last resort. This morning, I did a "cache cleanup" with a tool called Onyx (recommend in many of the "speed up your mac" articles) and it seems to be much faster, but I need to let it run for a while to see if it drags down again after I've run it for a day or so. The memory in Activity Monitor looks a lot better now with a lot of the 16GB RAM free, so maybe the cache cleanup helped. The current memory usage is below and looks very good after cache cleanup (time will tell if it stays that way):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Fair enough. I apologize for my smarmy tone. :)

22. MaxPower

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    I installed a (free) software that monitors RAM usage ...

FIPLAB - Amazing Mobile and Desktop Apps

called "memory clean" - toward the bottom of the page ...

i was surprised to see that at times the RAM on my sys was dropping to below 100MB !!!

this util helped unblock whatever was holding it down ...

btw, i have no connection to this page or the company ...

23. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011

I had a mini mac (mac mini) when it came out, switching from windows and linux because of the ease of Apple OS at the time. Well yes it got slower and slower. It was always giving me that goddam spinning beachball. And when that type of thing happens I start hitting the computer to get it to wake up. Which does not help! Predictably it get's slower and I hit harder to the point where it makes funny noises and quits.

A couple pc's later, I am on a Lenovo 540C all in one. Best looking and functioning computer I have ever had.

I think the slowdown has to do with the cache/history/temp files/directories of all your internet browsing. Cleaning that out would help a lot and I mean stuff that is very deeply hidden on your system. Nowadays I think Apple has no advantage over Wintel.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have been every bit as smarmy about Mac superiority (not in this thread, but in conversations prior to my "Macpololypse 2014" (which was a slow burn starting in late 2013)). The wounds from early Windows nightmares run deep and heal slowly, but sad to say that my experience with Mac today is that it is no better than the old Windows I knew when it comes to slowdowns over time. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 7 was better than Mac now. That's a shame for Mac, and almost inconceivable to me since UNIX is a rock solid foundation for sustained high performance and the Mac isn't burdened with anti-virus. It should crush Windows, but I don't think it does today.

At a minimum, Apple software is not proactive. Macs are allergic to Flash, for example. Yes Flash can be a resource hog but I think Windows handles it much better. They "fixed" it on the iPhone by disabling Flash support, for the computer Mac OS, they don't seem to have tried to fix it and are instead hoping it will go away.

I think the problem is more than Apple ignoring problems, they let it get slow because it pays to let it get slow. People upgrade frequently thinking it's old hardware, but I think that is seldom the actual cause. Hardware doesn't lose performance as it ages -- it either works at the rated performance or it breaks -- the hardware itself doesn't slow down at all. When the processor on an old iMac is 2.8Ghz and the processor on a new Mac is 3.4Ghz, the performance improvement is only 21%, so the new processor doesn't actually make much of a difference. You shouldn't see any slowdowns on the old one and the new computer should be 21% faster. Instead, you see the old computers slowing down way more than 21%. It's money in the bank for Apple.