Smart Watches | FerrariChat

Smart Watches

Discussion in 'Technology' started by motorcitycars, Jun 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I haven't seen much about smart watches on here, so I figured I would create a thread to talk about/show off our smart watch/watches.

2. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    You mean like the samsung watches?

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Smart watches are a little like the new curved televisions: a technically interesting product in search of a market.

Matt

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Agreed. The smart watches don't actually do anything themselves, they just control smartphones. If I have to have my smart phone in my pocket anyway, I'd rather wear an interesting wristwatch like my speedmaster

5. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Agreed. I'll wear my sky dweller... :)

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I dunno - I picked up the Pebble in December, and get a lot of use out of it. definitely early in the products life cycle.

7. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Same here, tjacoby. It is really nice when you have to be in a place where it is improper to use a conventional smart phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    got a pebble too ... it's a toy ... with horrendous battery life ...

9. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Mine lasts about a week, what does yours get? (Out of curiosity)

10. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I have found that if you turn off the function that turns the light on when you shake it, it lasts much longer.

11. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    limited functionality for sure - depends what you want it for. I'm always leaving my phone somewhere, with the sound turned off. So now I get texts and call alerts from my wife and kids. Also gives some kind-off useful benefit with my Strava cycling app (avg speed for the ride in real-time, and segment times) that I don't get from my other fitness tools.

I get 5+ days out of mine, and appreciate the latest update that now gives alerts for 10 & 20% battery left.

all of the smart watches out there today are limited, but the hints of health & fitness applications are pretty interesting. I can't wait to see where this stuff goes!

12. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm waiting to see what apple comes up with. I'd like something that shows me basic notifications from my phone like texts, emails, etc. as well as tracks fitness items.

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    This's what I'm after as well. Anything else I'll review but these basic functions will make a blue tooth headset extremity useful.

14. motorcitycars

motorcitycars Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jake
    The pebble can do all of those things very well with both apple and android. The thing I like about pebble is the fact that you can put any watch band on it (the stock band is pretty cheap).

15. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm fine with and prefer the look of a classic preferably mechanical watch myself however as a tech I used to work on samsung's models frequently the few who own them seem to love them. Of the ones I've read about the pebble (I believe original smartwatch) is the best and then you have the talk of an apple model someday....

only one I have experience with is samsung's though

16. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I'm still on the fence about Smart Watches.

I like the Moto 360 and plan to get one, but I'll only use it as a watch. I love its design.

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wasn't wowed by the apple watch, especially at the $350 price. I picked up a pebble for $90 on amazon and it's great. The only down side is that it doesn't do any heart rate monitoring.