Dont want to format..any good soft to speed up PC? | FerrariChat

Dont want to format..any good soft to speed up PC?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Jun 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have Win 8. Have 200gb of free hard drive. Lately it's been slow (ex: takes a while for the window to select a picture to be uploaded to pop on the screen..). I usually use crap cleaner and Maleware.

Any recommendation other than backing up and formatting?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    CCleaner - Download

Download that and do a registry clean and a normal clean (in the latter, make sure that under applications you deselect any stuff from your regular browser such as saved passwords).

I'd seriously recommend getting small (60gb) SSD (solid state drive) and run windows of that. It makes it so much faster.

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I use CCleaner already but still slow. Laptop is 15 mo old so might be reason why and i do need to format.
    Are there no other soft to use?

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    down a slope should make it plenty fast. And then buy a mac.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

I'd suggest off a cliff would make it even faster, but this could get ugly, fast! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We have 2 macbook. They are no better.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #7 Igor Ound, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    You should open some performance analytics and understand where the problem lies. My money is on the ram being not enough. Additional memory is very cheap, easy to add and gives an instant boost. Or alternatively try to kill all those self starting applications you can see active and sucking performances

8. judo

judo Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Full Name:
    Justin
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots Sun Microsystems' (now Oracle) VirtualBox is a trusted full virtualization environment and it's free. If you're having bloat/slow PC issues, especially on multiple PC's, I'd recommend downloading and trying VirtualBox. If you're not already familiar with Virtual Machines, this software will allow you to run practically any OS within. Why go through the trouble of setting up a VM? Say you're spending a majority of time viewing photos and web browsing, you can possibly get by simply using something light like Windows XP Pro (think of this OS running as a "session" under VirtualBox). By installing Windows XP (or Linux, etc.) in VirtualBox, you'll have a full-OS using little resources (considering your host Win8 PC has decent hardware/RAM). You'll get the benefit of snapshotting the OS (saving the live state, reverting, backup-up, etc.) with the ability to move the VM (image file) and launching it from any other Windows/Mac/Linux host.

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Buy an SSD and clone your existing drive onto it.

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Along with CCleaner get a copy of CCEnhancer - CCEnhancer - SingularLabs
    Slowness is likely a combo of crap left behind, crap in the registry - run the ccleaner registry cleaner, startup items - disable everything you don't need and, possibly, malware. Malwarebytes is good but there are others that will find things it missed.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This!

12. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Workarounds usually only work for so long.

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    One could say the same about reformatting or even buying a new machine. Very quickly the user's habits and choices return things to the same state.

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Those registry cleaners can cause their own issues. I'd take a reformat or restore image anyday over a software solution.
    That was my point.

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    In years of use over many, many machines I have never had a registry issue caused by ccleaner. Your mileage may vary, professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt these maneuvers at home, etc, etc.