Standalone 200$ Bluray player vs. PlayStation 3 Slim | FerrariChat

Standalone 200$ Bluray player vs. PlayStation 3 Slim

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DriveAfterDark, Jul 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #1 DriveAfterDark, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    A tiny dilemma here... My 1st generation PS3 overheated and died, out of warranty. I have sold it and most of the stuff I had for it, what I have left are 8 car games and the offical Bluetooth remote control. I don't even watch that many Blurays either, but a Bluray player is a must today. I will also get next to nothing for the PS3 games if I sell them so that seems pointless to me.

Should I buy a PS3 slim and keep the games or will I better off with a dedicated Bluray player for 200$?

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If you still play the PS3 games, then buy a PS3. I haven't kept up with the tech (avforums), but for many years, the PS3 was the choice Bluray player, simply because the software could be updated as the spec evolved.

If you don't care about the PS3 games, spend less than $100 for a Bluray player.

3. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    what brandon said.

The PS3 is still a great blu-ray player, that also plays games, and also streams netflix, and also streams hulu... and also... if you use those services.

If you don't use any of those services... any sub $100 BluRay player should work just fine and require significantly less space in your entertainment center.

4. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
  5. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #5 DriveAfterDark, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great advice, thanks. Honestly I think the games would just collect dust, so after a little thinking I'm going dedicated Bluray player instead.

My personal laptop is connected to my TV, so I have no need for streaming services and other stuff. As mentioned above, a dedicated player is my plan now and I just found a near new Pioneer BDP-450 for 100 bucks so that's what I'm getting :) I have a very capable TV so it deserves a decent Bluray source.

Have you fixed a broken PS3 yourself? I read that if your PS3 60GB fails once, it will continue to fail in the future, even after repair. This is the second time my PS3 died (I had a major repair done under warranty in 2010).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    In that case,

Have you considered buying/building a small HTPC running XBMC? I've never personally used one, but it has a HUGE following, is looks to be extremely capable of handling ALL of your media sources quite readily.

Small HTPCs these days can easily be hidden away if you desire, but will also look right at home in a entertainment center.

7. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I think I have tried XBMC before, to handle my video library, didn't really like it... I'm too oldschool and like to just categorize stuff in folders in my own way, including video.

I am trying to buy a harddrive based and wireless media server that can stream any type of video files to my cellphone, iPad, laptop, TV and so on... But the main criteria for this is a built in automatic backup system (RAID, I think it's called, you save everything on disc 1 and disc 2 will take backup immediately just in case disc 1 gets broken). Something that offers these features AND is easy to operate is what I'm missing...

I have 2x 1TB harddrives and a "Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2" but I can't really work that out like I wanted to, too complicated for me to understand...

8. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Yes I have fixed a couple of them. My own PS3 was what I experimented on and it took 3 try's before I got figured out that arctic silver thermal paste sucks just use standard white thermal paste. My PS3 hasn't had a hiccup since it's last fix about 4 years ago. What happens is the heat causes some of the solder joints to become detached and giving the circuit boards a reflow is all they need to get working again.

9. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hmm, not bad. They replaced almost everything on my PS3 at Sony service center when it overheated. Oh well, deal is done on the Pioneer BR player so it's time to move on. Still have my 360 with 70+ games :p Now I sound like a geek :p