Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ian Anderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer View Post
edit... Forgot to say that I am a fan of linux, but I felt the need to play devil's advocate here based on my personal experiences with Linux. Just wanted to make everyone aware that Linux isn't always Rainbows and Unicorns, hehe.
Indeed.

In fairness, reading back through my posts, I must confess my "enthusiasm" probably got ahead of reality.... I still maintain its a much superior environment to anything from the Empire, but some of your caveats are well made:

- Do not simply move to the next release without good reason! - If what you've got (particularly the apps) is working, stick with it. Allow it to install patches as required, but I too have seen some buddies I've "sold" it too get screwed by trying to install "all new releases". [The good news is that at least they'd backed the sucker up and were able to get out! ]

- I haven't had any issues with back & forth in Libreoffice, but I'm not a bleeding edge S/S user either. Backups are your friend....

- I'm not, and never really have been, a fan of Firefox. Many other options depending on what you want.

FWIW, the following just popped into my mailbox - Interesting reading about some desktop choices if you're thinking of having a look at it.

How to Choose the Best Linux Desktop for You | Linux.com

Cheers,
Ian
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Josh
I first started using linux from a bootable cd german distro called knoppix still handy but now there are so many others ubuntu being the easiest way to go I've helped many folks with lower incomes or disabilities get computers running with ubuntu. Mint is also nice. As others have said its as reliable and solid as you can get I'd recommend building or buying a machine made for linux though as I and others have spent quite a bit of time getting certain devices to work with linux distros. If your into gaming you will be somewhat limited dual booting may still be necessary but between wine and soon steam support things are looking up
Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_ian View Post
In a word; Phenomenal!....

I'd suggest grabbing the latest version of Ubuntu. You can download it to a USB stick or burn to a good old fashioned CD and let it probe your machine - I'll almost guarantee it will find & understand everything you've got from display type thru sound cards, microphones and cameras. Assuming that goes well, take great joy in letting it then format your HD and install itself. Follow the instructions and prepare to be impressed! It really is that good these days IMO.

The default Libre Office is nowadays more compatible with M$ Office than, well, M$ themselves. It'll read (& write) everything anyone can throw at you. [Very occasionally, M$ fonts may need converting as they like to use proprietary stuff, but it'll handle it just fine.]

As a 'tinkerer' you may even be a little disappointed; the days of having to poke at it to get it configured are gone - It quite simply flat out works!

Security? Best there is per the latest UK security agency tests. No more worries about viruses, malware and so on. The default firewall config is great for the vast majority, but if you want to poke at it there's now some nice tools to configure that too.

Resources? It's screaming fast on even 'dated' H/W these days. It'll speed up your existing environment, I (almost) guarantee it.

Stability? Rock solid.

And of course, in the unlikely event you have any issues, the documentation is about the best there is. Still stuck? Chances are someone's been there before, so a good old fashioned search of the relevant forum will likely turn up the answer. And if not, and you do post a question, chances are it'll be answered (politely these days too! ) in a matter of minutes! A few hours if it happens to be a really tough one.

I really can't speak highly enough of where it's come to over the past few years. And of course if you want to do development, run DB or web servers and so on, it's great there too.

I'm a fan!

Good luck - Please report back how it goes.

Cheers,
Ian
I have to disagree with some of this, specifically on the support front.

My experiance with using forums for trying to find a solution in Ubuntu usually ends up somewhat like this:

me: How do I do X?

person6: Why would you want to X?

person1: What release level are you running?

me: Version NNN

person2: Oh you don't want that version, move to MMM.

person1: Try doing <insert crypic command1 here but not explain what cryptic command does>

person3: No, don't do that, do < insert other crypitc command2 but also not explain what command does >

person4: person1 and person3 are stupid, I've been using linux for 15+ years ( to prove linux cred ), you want to do < insert series of even more cryptic commands, again no explaination added>

person5: Ubuntu sucks, use Mint.

me: I tried <insert cryptic command1> but it didn't work.

person1: Oh you need to run as root, or try < insert cyptic command3 >

person6: Mint is crap, Ubuntu has such a more streamlined UI

me: I tried <insert cryptic command3> but that didn't work either. Says command not found

person3: I told you, run < insert cryptic command2>

person1: Oh, you need to install package <package> first.

me: How do i do that?

aaaand. the converation basically repeats itself...

So if you do not mind wading through that kind of stuff, by all means, knock yourself out. :P
Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: JJ
Update: So this thread has awakened the bug once again! I've now got Linux running on my laptop and have been using a Windows VM for the Win apps I need. On the laptop, it isn't nearly as many as on my primary boxes at home, and the Linux project has been a success thus far. There is another 4G SODIMM in the mail ($45) that should complete the package. The primary benefit is added security when traveling and it looks like this will be a permanent change!

For one of my desktops, I've used the vmware tool that lets you convert a running PC into a VM and will be experimenting with the same setup there. It hasn't been perfectly smooth, TBH. However, I think given the usage it'll make more sense to run a Linux VM for the things that Linux does well and stick with Windows as host.

Ian, thanks for the nudge!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_crc View Post
I have to disagree with some of this, specifically on the support front.

So if you do not mind wading through that kind of stuff, by all means, knock yourself out. :P
Very good!

It certainly used to be that way, I agree. But, at least the Ubuntu forums have got a lot better that way recently - In fact, it's more likely that anyone(s) taking that approach will be 'reprimanded' these days..... They've eventually learnt that if 'they' want people to take up their religion (!), it's better to be helpful to folk - even if that does mean just pointing them to the correct FAQ.

As for adding packages and keeping things up to date, the current package manager does a fine job these days..... Although, I do agree, jumping to the latest release just for the sake of it doesn't make much sense if you've got something that's working for you - just keep it patched and carry on unless there some really compelling reason to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Ian, thanks for the nudge!
You're very welcome! Glad it's (at least somewhat) working out for you - I was a little 'nervous' that I'd oversold it there for a while!

Cheers,
Ian
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

For anyone thinking of getting their feet wet, this is a pretty good free ebook... You've got to register to get it, but hey, you've got to register to post here too right!

A Newbie's Getting Started Guide to Linux Free Guide

All kinds of interesting free ebooks on the same site. Not just Linux either! No affiliation, just impressed!

Topics

Cheers,
Ian
Old 03-18-2017, 05:44 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Gabe V.
OVERJOYED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_ian View Post

Hopefully!.... Again, please report back.

Cheers,
Ian
Ok, it's been a while; milked Windows for all it was worth, now I've let go.

Since my initial post, Linux has come a long way with many of the features I have wanted, included. I've researched, I've compared and I have made my decision. I am making this comment on the OS I have chosen:

Zorin OS

and am doing this solely on a USB boot only notebook with, no hard disk drive. This is my experimental internet terminal and so far, and thrilled beyond all expectations. The Zorin OS site has made everything so damn easy, it's absolutely unreal how easy it is to make the change.

Microsnot is now a thing of the past.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: King Koopa
I am playing a lot on Raspberrian these days. I am a Debian or Ubuntu guy myself.