Windows on a Mac | FerrariChat

Windows on a Mac

Discussion in 'Technology' started by EnzymaticRacer, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    So... Wife bought a new MacBook pro 15 inch laptop this past weekend.

What's the best way to install and run Windows on it these days? Parallels, VMware, other?

She needs the windows only as a backup to log into work VPN incase her company provided laptop breaks.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Parallels. I used to be a VMware fan (for virtualization) but Parallels wipes the floor with everyone else when it comes to running Windows on a Mac.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Why can't she simply set up a VPN directly on the Mac?

Cheers,
    Ian

4. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    SHe is going to check on whether or not the system will support that Ian. In the interim, we are just wondering, as she does have a few programs that run in windows which would be useful, but not necessary for her to be able to run.

5. Olliecampbell

Olliecampbell Rookie

Jul 16, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ollie Campbell
  6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Anyone claims it's (VPN) not supported is full of ****!.... ;)

Bootcamp certainly works - The Mac *is* a PC (and a pretty quick one too) once rebooted. Downside is, rebooting between the two more than once or twice a day gets really old, really fast! :(

Personally, I'd give VirtualBox a try first; It's now a solid, fast, VM environment. Load Windows into the VM, then the apps and see what happens. On "modern" H/W (plenty of ram) it (can) rock..... Sometimes it sucks, but less & less these days.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - Is she new to the Mac? Or is it her "weapon of choice"?.......

7. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    #7 EnzymaticRacer, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Yeah we are kind hoping to avoid the whole restarting the computer thing.

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured about the VPN. Haha.

One of the programs is Photoshop CS5. We own a Windows license key, but adobe isn't letting us trade for a mac key, and would have to upgrade to CS6 if we want to move to Mac. We aren't sure if it is worth it yet. There are a couple other programs we are still checking up on.

We will definitely take a look at VirtualBox.

As for computers, she's fairly equal opportunity. She's had a iBook in the past, but most computers have been Windows. ��

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

edit... Just did some quick checking. Since I'm a student I can buy Parallels 10 for only $40. Virtualbox looks to be open source. Her new Macbook Retina 15" has 16gb memory, 512gig flash drive, and the Nvidia graphics card. What is the setup process like for virtualbox? How is support compared to Parallels?

Thanks

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    TBH, I'm not using any VM's right now - no need! ;)

But I do know many folk that are very happy with VirtualBox. For sure, their forums are very active, which always seems like a good thing to me.

Nothing to lose, that's for sure! And that machine should be darn fast too! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i use both parallels and VMware.
    parallels is a bit easier to learn.
    both work quite well.