4.7 or 5.5 inch? (iPhone 6) | FerrariChat

4.7 or 5.5 inch? (iPhone 6)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KennyH, Sep 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thoughts? On the fence.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm not an iphone user, but as I've used multiple android phones from the very first droid with a 3.7" screen to my current S5 with a 5.1" screen.

Depending on your needs I would direct you to the 4.7". I've had two 4.7" phones and I would say it probably is the ideal size. Although I have no issues with the size of my S5 as it's really not all that much bigger than my Droid Maxx HD.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    "You pays your money and takes your choice!"....

*Personally*, I don't have a problem with the 5 (4"), so when the time comes, I'd go with the smaller one.

A buddy however is adamant he wants a big screen, and is about to drop his, to me, monster sized, Samsung (?) for the big version.

I guess that's not much help to making your decision. Sorry! Go to the store and "play" with them both maybe? See which you feel most comfortable with?

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #4 Gran Drewismo, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Lol, I like the pop tart reference.

Kai

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'm on the fence also. I think I'll just get the 4.7" because I have an iPad Air also.

7. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    4.7 so I can still comfortably carry it in my pocket.

Kai

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1.

A little surprised we haven't heard any "love/hate" for the upcoming watch yet.....

Apple - Apple Watch

Maybe should be in it's own thread but kind of related. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    The watch gives me a big "mehhhhhh" :)

I have an iPad Air, iPhone 5S, MacBook Air, Apple TV, and a classic iPod in my car..... A watch? No thanks.

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just another smart watch. Nothing all that exciting. I do think it looks cool though.

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Agreed.

I guess if you're a workout freak it may be cool, and as always, Apples interface will be a thing of beauty, but I don't see one in my future. I stopped wearing a watch long ago; pull the phone out if I need the time. Same with mail & texts etc.....

It'll be interesting to watch (no pun intended ;)) how it sells.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Both of my apple-freak friends said they will get one. They both wear watches.

As for working out, I don't know how people workout with watches.

Since they have finally offered a larger phone I may (that's a really big, may) give the iphone a chance. I doubt I will but I will keep it as an option.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They certainly have a very solid "fan base". ;)

From their site;

:eek: ;)

It appears to be expanding their appeal..... As I said not my choice, but at least there's the option now. And that display - Wow!.... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    If i had a choice, i'll go for the bigger screen. But then again, my iPhone 4 is working perfectly fine. so :)

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    PRO TIP for likeminded techies who intend to order sight-unseen tonight:

One of my teammates mentioned that the Samsung Note was essentially the same size as the new iPhone Plus. So, we called the nearby RadioShack to confirm that they had it - and walked over to check it out. I'm officially on the 4.7 train*. The 5.5 is comically large and impractical for my use case (listening to podcasts on my commute while playing Soduku, checking email, taking pictures, and some occasional mindless Cars.com / AutoTrader / eBayMotors tire-kicking).

*I'm going to buy the 4.7 at 3am tonight via my mother-in-law's upgrade - and when my upgrade comes in November, buy my wife a phone. If I decide that I want a 5.5 then, I'll give her my 4.7.

16. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    #16 Argento360, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Not sure if this helps, but I just upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to an LG G3 with a 5.5 inch screen and love the large quad-HD display. LG did two things though that make it work: a very thin bezel and a curved back.

The thin bezel minimizes the extra width between the body and the screen and the curved back makes it feel smaller relative to it actual dimensions. Compared to the S3 (which has a 4.8 inch display) the G3 has a much larger screen but does not feel much bigger in the hand so for me it's a win-win.

I'm not sure about the 6 Plus but it appears to have a relatively flat back but a narrower screen width so if I were considering one I'd definitely want to hold one before buying. For me, I'd guess 5.5 inches is about the max for most people who want a "phone" size device unless they can eliminate the bezel completely in which case I'd be all in for an even (slightly) bigger screen.

17. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Im getting up at 3am (eastern) to get the 5.5" I was concerned about the size, but then I realized I hardly hold my phone to my ear anymore. I use the hands-free system in my car or speaker phone. But mostly, I browse on the phone. So I'm gonna try for the larger one. If I dont like it, I'll have options to get the smaller one without losing much monetarily if at all.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I searched earlier today and realized the 4.7" ip6 is larger than the Motorola Maxx HD which also has a 4.7" screen. The 4.7" ip6 is actually not all that smaller than my S5 with a 5.1" screen.

I'm really surprised by this.

19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I think I am going for 4.7 at 128GB. I need to fit in my pocket, and like the 5.5 my friends have, but its just a bit large in the pocket and using single handed (reason they have one handed modes).

3am, probably-- I forgot it was PST :(

-dsd

20. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I am getting the 6+. I use the tablet functions more than the phone, so I think the larger format will work well for me.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1

I have a Google Nexus 5, which is similar to the LG G2 and has a 5" screen. Thanks to the thin bezel, it's not much larger than the actual screen. The iPhone on the other hand appears to continue the tradition of huge bezels with built-in tactile buttons. My main function buttons are incorporated into the screen and disappear when full-screen images or videos are displayed.

However, given the large bezel on the iPhone, the 5.5" screen must be ridiculous to carry around. I wouldn't mind the G3 even though the screen is larger because the phone size overall isn't much larger than my Nexus 5.

LG G3: 5.76" x 2.94" (16.93 sq in)
    iPhone 6+: 6.22" x 3.06" (19.03 sq in), which is 12% larger for same exact screen diagonal

Poor execution on the 6+ by Apple imo. The 4.7" is better suited for everyday use.

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's another good point. I'll post the dimensions tomorrow comparing the Motorola maxx hd and ip6. I want to say that height is nearly half an inch larger for thr same size screen, which is basically the same difference for what your comparing. Poor execution in design imo.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    iPhone 6: 5.44" x 2.64" (14.36 sq in)
    Droid Razr Maxx HD: 5.19" x 2.67" (13.85 sq in)

Same 4.7" screen, but iPhone 6 is close to 4% larger (mainly height difference as you state). LG is one of the best as making phones with thin bezels including the made-for-Google phones in the Nexus line as well. If Apple really wanted to get me to switch to them, they needed to make a phone with the entire surface area a screen. That imo would be the ultimate. Zero bezel...it would look slick.

Btw, these measurements are coming from wiki:

iPhone 6: iPhone 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    iPhone 6+: iPhone 6 Plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Droid Razr Maxx HD: Droid Razr HD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LG G3: LG G3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Ended up going 4.7, 128gb. Will report back next week when it arrives.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #25 Smiles, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the end of the iPhone line for me.

I don't want anything larger than my current 5.

In fact, I'd prefer a smaller phone, the size of the iPod Nano.

Matt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login