Comcast xfinity app - Why no recordings allowed? | FerrariChat

Comcast xfinity app - Why no recordings allowed?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Fast_ian, Sep 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

So, I recently upgraded my internet access with these guys to include TV. Didn't really want to, but the price basically remained the same with it as without!

Also downloaded their app onto the iPad; Allows me to watch live TV (very cool!) and, apparently, their "on demand" stuff, although I haven't tried that. [The TV feed is about 5 seconds ahead, but a quick pause allows them to be synced very nicely. Good stuff!]

However, for reasons totally beyond me, the app won't allow me to watch any of my recordings! :( I wanted to watch the Formula E race from the other day, but seems I'm tied to the TV for any recordings. I don't know why they've done that(?)

Both the TV and the cable box have ip addresses, but I can't think of any "work arounds". Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
    Ian

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My guess is that its because your recordings are stored on your cable box. Upload speeds and download speeds are two different speeds, and frankly for them its not even worth it- eventually we wont have storage on the cable box and it will all be online. I wish I could help further.

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No problem, thanks for the response.

That's what I don't understand! The program is nicely stored on my cable box - no bandwidth required now. I can then watch said show on my tv. I just don't get why I can't stream it from there to my iPad! All the live shows etc are coming thru that box after all!...

Makes no sense to me! Unless there's some kind of copyright BS involved... For example, the 'inverse' is true when I'm streaming Sky, via their app, to my iPad - in that case, I can't mirror it to my tv! (The audio goes to the tv, but the video is 'blocked' with just a screen saver). Their explanation is some copyright BS.....

I'll do some more research and if I find anything, report back..... Can't believe it's not somehow possible! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Turns out you were pretty darn close! :)

I searched, & eventually posted on the Comcast forums. Even though I *thought* I "had it all" - Live TV, on demand & even an online DVR Manager (for my local box) on the iPad etc, I was missing one tiny, but crucial thing.....

You've got to go to their sales folks (I did it via text chat, seems better than voice) and request an "X1 code". Next time you open the TV app it "upgrades" it to include all of the expected functionality. Existing recordings don't get copied to the cloud, but anything new from here on appears to. I think its still also stored locally, but playback (except directly to the TV?) appears to come from the cloud. I guess it's easier for them to stream your recordings to other devices (on your "home network" only) than mess with the set top box.

Somewhat fortuitously, it also happens that the "X1" service needed had literally just been enabled in my area (SF Bay) - Like less than 72hours ago!

So, everything is working very nicely now. Next step,, before I go traveling again, is to set up an inbound VPN so I always appear to be on my home network....... Later....

Cheers,
    Ian

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't know this was possible yet. Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear you got it going! :)

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed!.... I've got to say, despite the howls about how much Comcast sucks etc, they're at least going in the right direction. Once set up correctly (probably not something granny can do), it's pretty some pretty cool stuff! I guess granny is not their target market....

They're also "battling" the content providers; Some stuff is downloadable, others, only streamable. Even (some of) your own recordings, if moved to another device (not streamed to), get "checked out" and must then either expire or be checked back in etc.... I'm just now starting to "get it", and a lot of the "problems" some folk are whining about really aren't Comcast' fault.

I've said before, the whole "model" of what we used to call "broadcast TV" is fundamentally broken with the distribution channels now available. I wish I had the magic bullet (and the patent!) Getting this **** right is hard!..... Comcast are trying IMO.....

Cheers,
    Ian