Best Buy and warranty new 4k TV | FerrariChat

Best Buy and warranty new 4k TV

Discussion in 'Technology' started by E60 M5, Oct 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This is one of those, "I can't believe it stories!".

I owned a Samsung 9000 series TV 55", purchased at Best Buy about 3.5 years ago. New, the 9000 series was $6k, so, I purchased a protection plan through Best Buy. Within the first year the screen was replaced under Samsung one year warranty.
    Skip forward to this past Monday night and the screen starts throwing lines horizontally, from one side to the other. I call the "Geek Squad" for repair/service call. They say, you have a protection plan for a 46" TV, not a 55". I'm like huh???!!!!! Short answer, sorry nothing we can do to help you. Great!
    Next day, go into my Best Buy, see the manager, show her the receipts and explain. She tries to get the warranty changed to no avail. So after 15 minutes, she looks at me and says, "Have you seen the new 4k TV's??". I'm like, yea, but haven't really investigated them because I have a 2 nice TV's. She says' "Go over and pick out one and we will do an even swap on your Samsung 9000 and get you a new plan.". WHAT??!!!!! Talk about customer service!!!
    So, called the wife had her meet me to look at the different TV's and BAM, 30 minutes later walked out with a 65" Sony 4k TV with 5 year protection plan for a cost difference of $125!!! WOW!!! It was a $3600 TV!!!
    By the way, its a KILLER picture and was not a fan of the curved tv, this one is flat panel.

Anyway, sometimes you get nice people doing the right thing, man that was a cool experience!

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! Very cool!

A good recommendation if ever there was one...... Probably helped that you were polite and tried to explain rather than screaming & shouting I suspect.....

Cheers,
    Ian

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Glad to hear! The 4Ks are amazing even if they do use an algorithm to upconvert from non-native 4K. I recently bought a new laptop from Best Buy after my hard drive died...first time I've been in a Best Buy in years and first time buying a computer in person rather than online. Hope they stay in business rather than losing out to online places. I don't think an online store would give a crap with a story like you had.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's proper customer service. Awesome news.

That manager may warrant a letter from you to her superiors. Not that they help much these days, but the thought counts.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    She really does deserve a letter. We are "premiere" members through the rewards program, thats top level, in other words, we spend a crap load of money there every year, I think that also played into the decision.

Yea, scream and yelling is not going to get you anywhere any place any time. People have to go defensive, instead of using their minds to solve the problem, well you have lost the battle.

They do upscale to 4k! Plus, sony has 30 plus movies out in 4k already. Its a crazy clear picture.

6. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    This is why best buy is the only place I buy tvs, I have the 75 inch version. It's great

7. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    ^^ so true..

8. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    This is good to hear, I've heard bad things about the protection plan and Geek Squad and when I clicked to read this thread I was fully expecting a negative story!

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Best Buy must give their on site people some discretion in handling issues. My store in Austin, Bee Cave really is great, the stores in California I dealt with not so much. Geek Squad varies a lot too but that is no big surprise.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm surprised.

That's completely contrary to my Best Buy experiences.

I'd be curious to hear how much was trained for customer service, and how much was simply at the discretion of that manager.

Matt

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've also had great customer service from Best Buys, including a receiver upgrade replacement of a failed model that was no longer available.