Data Recovery from USB Drive | FerrariChat

Data Recovery from USB Drive

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Cobraownr, Oct 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #1 Cobraownr, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 7-8 year old Memorex 8GB USB 2.0 "Traveldrive" that stopped being recognized by my laptop, and two other computers, about three years ago. Plugging it into any USB port gets the "ping pong" beep from the laptop, but no green light on the Traveldrive nor recognition icon on the "My Computer" screen. I have tried gentle pressure on the USB male connector and moving it to different orientations, but nothing changes. There is a faint "whirring" sound from the Traveldrive, and one side gets warm to the touch after a few minutes, so it appears to be getting some kind of power from the USB port. My laptop's operating system is XP, and the Traveldrive used to work fine on this laptop as well as others. I have done a search on FChat and found threads about data recovery from hard drives, but am not sure they apply to this Traveldrive. I'm tempted to try the freezing trick, but thought I would ask for opinions first. If anyone has had a good experience with a data recovery company, I would appreciate that referral too. What is this drive called, BTW, a "USB drive," "mini disk," or??? Thanks in advance to all who can help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Amazon.com: Memorex 8 GB HDD USB 2.0 MEGA Travel Drive (32601080): Electronics

There's what you have. Interesting little gizmo. Reviews seem to indicate it's less reliable than a vintage Ferrari that has sat for 30 years.

One trick to try is right click on My Computer, click Manage, in the box that appears go to Disk Managment and then see if your computer "sees" it and what drive letter it has. Maybe it's trying to assign itself to one that is already assigned. Seen it happen before.

This is all off the top of my head so those steps might be slightly wrong.

3. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    A free app called TestDisk is pretty popular. You could also burn something like Slax (Linux) to a disc and boot with that, I believe it included data recovery software.

4. dominique657

dominique657 Rookie

Oct 27, 2014