Pls recommend me good small business WiFi router (under $1k) | FerrariChat

Pls recommend me good small business WiFi router (under $1k)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by valter, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    I was fine with consumer grade models from Netgear, Linksys, etc. until I got a bit more devices in the network. Arghhhhh.... they all either randomly hang, overheat, issue duplicate addresses or something. Recently another $250 router went south. I swear, in the last year I went through 3 of them.

Is there such thing as gigabit router with WiFi (2.4 & 5 Ghz) that can handle 30+ devices simultaneously for more then a few month which is not too expensive - under 1k? Thank you!

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    and to piggyback on this if you dont mind, any recommendations for a good wifi range extender?

3. 404Redirect

404Redirect Rookie

Sep 4, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Valter, I have separated the duty of WiFi and switching away from my router and went with the Cisco RV042 for Routing, Ubiquiti UniFi AP for Wifi and HP ProCurve gigabit switch. All have been in place for quite a long time with well over 30 devices connected and my only downtime was my fault for flipping a number in one of the settings.

I have not tried it yet myself but an inexpensive device that is getting great reviews and fits both your and Edward's needs is the Securifi Almond...odd name I know...but the feature set for the price point is pretty crazy.

Amazon.com: Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do you need to have your routing and wifi all in one? Because the best wifi access point I have come across in years is the Apple Airport Extreme.

Seriously.

We have several in each of our offices and they work like champs. 50 users maximum.

Now of course our switching and routing is handled by Enterasys C5 switches so that does help big time.

5. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
  6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I use all Cisco hardware. I like being able to sleep at night and take vacations instead of getting phone calls.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+1.

We use the Cisco 861 series. Crazy complex to configure, but done properly it is rock solid.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I think AeroHive makes the best controller-less WiFi out there.

Price point is where you want it. 30 users starts to push commercial and the need for higher association rates and the like.

I'd checkout Aerohive or a used commercial system from eBay.

-dsd

9. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Thank you again guys! Proud to report that I completed first phase - got Cisco RV325 router. What a nice piece of hardware! It's been running for only 2 days now, but everything works GREAT, lots of configuration options , UI fast and it runs really cool. Temporarily I switched my old routers to Access Point mode with all other stuff disabled, and connected to Cisco they provide WiFi. Works great.

Next step would be getting some real Access Points... Thanks again for the right direction and recommendations!

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'd give GTHill a PM - he's a leading expert in this area.

11. SmellyPenguin

SmellyPenguin Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    CA
    I'd recommend getting a seperate Router and Wireless Access Point, if you just need one access point you can get away without getting the wireless controller.

Router recommendations: Sonicwall, Cisco
    WAP recommendations: Cisco Aironet, Ruckus

Be wary of the small business branded Cisco products, as they are usually rebadged from their Linksys line.

12. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Just an update - my Cisco is still working like tank, no failures, no problems at all... Thanks again!

13. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thank you sir! I'll help however I can.

GT

14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    GTHill defn knows his stuff - but also take a look at the Cisco Meraki line: much simpler to support than the traditional Cisco stuff.