Boosting LTE at home? | FerrariChat

Boosting LTE at home?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KennyH, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hey guys,

A quick nerdy question for you. The cell phone signal at my parents house is, at best, mediocre. Might you know of any solutions (hardware?) to improve it?

Note that they're both Verizon iPhone (LTE) customers.

Thank you!

Kenny

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I purchased a kit from Wilson and it seems to be helping with Calls: fewer dropped and missed calls. It was not cheap, but there are very few choices for a solution. I use Wifi when home...

Wilson Cell Phone Signal Boosters | WilsonAmplifiers

Hope this helps,
    Randy...

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #3 David_S, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Verizon used to sell a microcell/femtocell to boost in home coverage. It's a mini cell tower that emanates a verizon network and backhauls over your home internet connection.

I have two from AT&T and give coverage to my house where I'd have none otherwise.

Wifi calling is slowly coming to new iPhones and networks next year (T-Mobile only one with it now) but verizon will be the last to support.

5. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I looked into the Verizon micro cell thingy, and the problem is that if you initiate a call using it, the call will drop as soon as you leave it's range. The converse will happen if you initiate a call via one of their towers - the call will not transfer to the micro cell thingy.

These drawbacks were not acceptable to me.

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks guys, this is all very helpful.

7. Creekle

Creekle Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    Hey Randy, thanks a bunch. I work at WilsonAmplifiers.com, so much appreciated. Kenny, if you're looking to boost LTE, then I'd recommend the Wilson 460108 Mobile 4G (all phones, all carriers).

But what are you specifically looking to improve? Because if it's stuff like talk & text, then that's on a 3G frequency, so you can save some bucks with a 3G amplifier. If you're looking for high-speed data, then you need a 4G amplifier. Hope this helps.