Beating a dead horse: New TV - OLED/LED/etc? | FerrariChat

Beating a dead horse: New TV - OLED/LED/etc?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by valter, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Finally after 15 years with CRT, I am getting something more modern and after reading lots of things, including posts here - my head is about to explode...

What TV should I get? :)

I am thinking about 70"+, would consider smaller for OLED... Is the OLED advantages are big enough to sacrifice size and possibly reliability (I read about blue oled material burning out)...

I don't want anything 3D, just excellent picture, great reliability and fast menus/controls/etc. Don't care about "Smartness" or Internet connectivity/etc.

I appreciate any suggestions!

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Get a time machine, go back a couple of years, and snag a plasma. ;)

Kidding of course.
    Personally go check out the TV's in a top end Home theater store. Tell them your layout; do you have lots of glare for example.
    Find the best mix that works for you.

I would stay away from 4K or curved TVs.
    On 4K there is no content; stuff to play.
    On curved the price per diminishing return ratio is out of skew.

Bigger IS better !

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Just saw the new oled TVs at Ces. The biggest advantage is true color, clarity and most of all true BLACK.

I like them and they are the future but they are expensive.

There are many new 4k upsizing TVs that are probably what I would get.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4 TheMayor, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

With 4 k upsizing the image coming in is 1080 but the computer upsize the TV Input signal resolution 4 times. It is noticeable

Also I believe Amazon is going to offer 4k streaming.

Always buy a tv for the future. Most of us do this once every 5 years or more.

5. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    David, I will get a couple of plasmas from Craigslist for a basement this winter :) For a living room, thats not gonna fly with my wife :)

Thank you for advice, I am going to check out some of these screens in stores (Samsung vs Sony vs LG) to make a decision. Curved is probably won't do anything for me; 4k *might* be useful for me, since the TV would be normally driven by a PC with a good video card (Radeon 7970) and player can do very smooth upsizing via OpenGL/etc.

6. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Thank you for the feedback about OLED. Shame on me, I never seen big OLED screen in person, only on my cell phone.

I would get one in a heartbeat, however reliability concern is a really big issue. Current models all has sort of band-aids for a blue pixel longevity... Deprecation is going to be killer too, hoverer thats something that I got used with computer hardware / electronics :)

7. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005

There is a decent amount of 4k content out already, especially from Sony.

Both Amazon and Netflix already have 4K streaming, and they are adding more on a regular basis.

The specs for 4K Blu-ray have been finalized and we can expect 4k content to be available on physical format by the end of the year.

If sports are more your thing, DirectTV will be broadcasting the Superbowl in 4k, with most sports heading that direction in the near future.

Now is not a bad time to buy a 4k TV.

Wife and I just bought a Samsung UN55HU7250 from BestBuy a week and a half ago. 55 inch 4k curved TV with SMART function... $1500. Add 5yr BB protection plan for like $320, total price was well below $2,000.

Replaced a 42" Phillips 1080p tv we bought for nearly $1500 about 7 years ago. The improvement in PQ is nearly unbelievable, even with the same content.

8. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Wow, thank you, good to know about existing 4k streaming options. How do you like it being curved and what was your reasoning for getting it vs. regular flat?

9. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    If you must buy now get a ~$1000 4K 55" TV now and in a few years get a 4k projector for <$1500 with a 100"+ screen.
    The 1080p projector I paid $700 for last year will last me until 4k ones have dropped into my price range.
    Nothing beats a BIG screen. And projectors these days are bright enough to watch even with a decent amount of ambient light.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142692772-post4.html

10. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm not personally sold on the Curve yet. My wife seems to like it so far. She says that it definitely helps add a little dimension to whats going on on screen.

It does in general significantly reduce the total glare coming off the screen. However, we have had to make some changes to how we light our room in the evenings. Lights in exactly the right spot can actually make viewing a little more difficult. So I don't know if the curve really makes much difference.

Our reasons for getting it were:

1) My wife was very interested in it (the curve), so I really didn't have much choice
    2) We walked in to BB to buy an $80 computer peripheral, and walked out with the $1500 TV because the price was right.

We had been shopping TVs for a number of months and prices for the size we wanted just hadn't quite come down to what we were willing to pay, until we saw this TV on sale for $700 off.

Good friends of ours just replaced their projector over the summer. Paid roughly $800 for it IIRC. They use it in their living room. Even with the decent # of lumens that projector has, it's still washed out in daytime.

I don't care what anyone says, projectors for normal viewing with any amount of ambient light just don't cut it. Projectors are amazing for low light rooms, but in a living room where there are likely lots of windows, they just don't make sense.

11. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Bought at Samsung 7150 55" LED a month ago and am very happy with it. Bought it for $999.

The weekend before, I was at a buddy's lakehouse, and watched his Samsung 65" 4k Curved TV. Did not like the curve, and during the daytime, the curve caused a big glare from lights behind those watching. Tried streaming a couple of 4k shows, and while looking good, I did not see a big difference.

Went to Best Buy thinking of going 4k, but the Magnolia guy talked me into waiting a few years for more content.

12. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    You won't believe it, but I got 2 big plasmas lol! Love the picture...

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Great advice, actually. I bought a Pioneer Kuro Pro Elite, had it professionally calibrated and have yet to see a picture than can beat it.