premium laptops - 2015 edition? | FerrariChat

premium laptops - 2015 edition?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Feb 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I still don't have the balls to switch over to Mac. I know Mac is the best laptop.

So not counting Macs, what are the best premium laptops on market today?

I have been Dell customer for 20 years, but they have gone to heck with each one. This last time I even bought an Alienware version and it is still crap.

Looking at reviews online Asus and Lenovo seem to get good ratings.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm going to be "that guy"......

I vote buy a Mac and install Windows on it via Bootcamp or Parallels.

I rarely, rarely use OS X (usually to just update the above) on my MacBook and it's the best Windows laptop I have had in a long time.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We have HP elite books at work (with the w suffix for workstation) and they are excellent. Core i7's with discreet Nvidia graphics chipsets and 8gb of ram. I've had mine for a little over a year and zero issues and I regularly hammer it in terms of processor and ram load, leave it in my car at night when it's cold etc. Never skips a beat. Only blemish on it is the ink on the A key has worn. Keyboard is lit so you can use it with little/no light. It'll run 3 hours of hard use on battery power, 6 with the backpack battery. No loss of battery life so far, but when it's not on battery power it's docked so regularly topped up.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Seems the larger 17 inchers are a rare find. I had Dell XPS and they were great, but no similar replacement out there these days.

5. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. I've used ThinkPads since 1994; this latest X1 Carbon looks amazing and has great performance specs.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the big ones too, I haven't had a desktop since 2000. I'm also not actually "mobile" very often, but there if I need it.

7. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #7 muk_yan_jong, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Been doing electronics reverse logistics for years so there's the quallies.

Lenovo Think systems are absolutely bulletproof if you have to have a non-apple. Heavy as hell, but tanks. I still have a T40 running XP as a portable gamer and it is still going strong.

HP Elitebooks are good as mentioned.

The trick is to buy the business-class products. They are designed for heavier use, retirement, refurbishment, and recuperation.

Lenovo and HPs other stuff (Idea series tabs, AIOs, and laptops) are absolute isht. Asus (excepting tabs), Dell, etc are all the same anymore.

Windows 8... For now, don't pay any money for anything running it... Wait a bit for 10. Seems to be pretty OK in beta play, but a lot of bells and whistles that most won't use. Or just stick with 7. Not been this happy since XP.

Macs can do it all though so I'd go there. Can't beat them for business use and virtual etc...

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Have never had a desktop, but many laptops, notebooks, netbooks, etc. And all the laptop magazines are gone, which was nice to get ideas and comparisons. In fact, the only 17 inch I have seen in a store was a Toshiba Satellite C75.

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I always miss the Sony Vaio professional laptops, had plenty over the years, and the worst that ever happened was really a battery needing replacement at 3 years (before I sold it to it's next owner) and recently, a virus or issue of some sort has screwed the operating system so internet explorer doesn't work properly, and every so often I get 'this is not a genuine version of windows' coming up.

Aside from that, have been great. Tried the running windows on a mac thing last year, used VMware and it was a nightmare, never ever worked and sold the mac in disgust

Quick question for you guys - I have a new PC to replace the Sony, but want to keep it as a spare, can I simply buy windows 8 full version and simply overwrite the operating system (had already had a new hard drive cloned and fitted - 500gb SSD)? Or is it more complicated than that?

10. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I've done this many times, assuming your ssd is setup as the boot disk/etc.

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Lenovo X1 carbon version two

12. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I recently purchased a Dell M3800 (typing on it now). Had some issues right out of the box, such as them forgetting to connect the internal wire to the speakers (really Dell?), but since then it's been pretty good. All the power I need, light, but can get a bit noisy with the fans under load.

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, took the original hard drive, used the cloning software to copy the SSD, and put it in. Runs great, but have the issue with the genuine windows thing (which was on the old disk) , and Microsoft don't want to sort despite my owning the licence for windows 7 hence knowing it's just corrupted

14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1
    Part number L4A53UT
    It rocks. 14" version too if you prefer bigger, but I find I like the 12".

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oops just saw you like 17"
    HP ZBook 17 G2 Mobile Workstation
    k4K44UT

16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    We have lenovos at work. I dropped mine off the table, still works... :)

17. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Lenovo Yoga series (think hard before getting the big one, it is easy to project movies to any TV that has an HDMI input).

It is hard to discount how good the Surface 3 is.

I have several laptops and tablets and find the Surface in my bag 90% of the time.

18. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I love the Lenovo Yoga 2 (the top end model with the i7 processor). A lot of people prefer the Yoga 2 over the Yoga 3, as the Yoga 3 is skewed towards long battery life rather than performance. It does have a smallish screen, however. (Not tiny, but not 17".)

My daily laptop is an ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamer) 17" monster. I've found that gamer machines provide the best performance for the buck. I use it for software development, and it is blisteringly fast. Best Buy has them in stock if you want to take a look at one. I used to like Alienware, but won't buy one now that Dell owns them. (I refuse to buy Dell on principle, as my last 4 laptops from Dell had issues.)

19. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Those look interesting, but their website doesn't help show the differences in the models - G571 JT (2 versions), JY (2 versions), JL (? versions), and JM. Which one did you get? I like the "old days" with the configuration options on websites.

20. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Asus was a disaster for me .

Fujitsu and Mac for me anyday

21. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Mine is a "VW" -- it's the last gen model (3rd gen I7 processor, 1080p display, 16GB RAM, dual SSD drives). The only negative at I can say about it is that the power brick is huge -- it really is like carrying around a brick.

I looked at the news specs... The JH appears to be the new top end model It has the 4th gen I7 processor and better video specifications.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thank you. They seem like the old Dell XPS line from 10 years ago.

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Okay, so I put windows 8.1 full install on the laptop, and it asks, do you want to use the same Microsoft account? Sure, so I click yes. Do you want to use the same settings as your PC named .......? Of course, sounds helpful, click

Windows 8 starts up, great, have a working laptop again.... Go to explorer, all favourites are there, great

Switch off, put on PC, internet explorer on, go to favourites, they disappear in front my eyes, every one of them. Go to ipad, same thing, go to laptop, same thing.

Why the hell did that happen. Frightened to switch the laptop back on now in case it does it again. What the hell do I do to stop this? Is the a setting to click? Can I get the settings back? (Such as a previous ipad or iPhone backup in iCloud?) and how do I do it?

Damn computers are the Bain of my life

24. kylepetree

kylepetree Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Kyle Petree
    I carry two laptops right now, a 13" Retina MacBook Pro and a Lenovo Carbon X1, both are fantastic. I personally sell Lenovos through my company and wouldn't if I didn't use one myself (Got to put my money where my mouth is).

Since you say that you're rarely mobile I'd recommend the Lenovo T series or W series, they are both premium powerhouse machines. The ThinkPads are absolutely indestructible and well worth the money.

25. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I just bought a Dell XPS 13 with the infinity display as I wanted something portable.

It's insanely capable, I have a i5 with a 256GB SSD. With the touchscreen QHD screen. It's a 13.3" screen but with the infinity display, it's form factor is a 11.6" computer.