Dual SIM cell phones | FerrariChat

Dual SIM cell phones

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #1 Jack-the-lad, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Here's my situation: I recently moved from one area code to another. Hundreds of people have my number from my former area code, so I don't want to give that up, at least not right away. At the same time, I'd like to have a mobile number in my new area code.

I don't want to have two devices. Will a dual SIM device solve my problem by allowing me to make/receive calls (and texts) from/to two different numbers on the same phone?

If so, what are considered the best phones for this use?

If not, are there alternative solutions? I don't have a land line in my new location, so call forwarding is not an option.

Thanks.

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm not sure I quite understand... are you trying to transfer a land line number to a cell phone?
    Or do you absolutely need a new number in a new area code for some reason?

Cell phone numbers are absolutely portable anywhere these days. Theres absolutely no reason why you would need to get a new cell phone number just because you move to a different geographical area within the US.

If you look at my cell phone number, the area code is from Hickory, NC. I haven't lived in the Hickory, NC area since 2003... in fact I've lived in 3 different states between then and now.

3. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wasn't completely clear. I want to continue using the cell number I've had for about 20 years. I also want a new cell number with the area code I live in now. (The reason is irrelevant). I want to be able to operate both numbers from a single device. I'm trying to find out if a dual-SIM phone will accomplish this.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm pretty sure no devices allow to do this. I've had cells with dual sim but you have to go into the menu to switch from sim A to sim B. If you're on Sim A you won't be able to get a call on sim B.

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/3511526/best-dual-sim-smartphones-2015-buying-advice-uk/

Wish iPhone's had this option.

6. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Port the old number to Google Voice, and then have that forward to your new number -- now both work, only need one device, etc.

Or buy a second phone, put in the old SIM and call forward to new number...

W

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

This sounds like a good solution. I have a couple of old phones lying around that I could use for this purpose. One thing, though: Do texts forward?

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This is what I've been getting at. Users in Europe and Asia have been using dual SIMs for years, but for a different reason than what I'm talking about. They want to be able to switch carriers at will in order to take advantage of better rates in certain areas. I want to assign a different number to each SIM.

9. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

+1

Not that I'm aware of. You may be able to call your mobile carrier and ask if that is something they can do? But it would probably end up being a nightmare trying to keep text messages from two different numbers on one phone straight...

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I haven't contacted my carrier (ATT) because it seems their primary mission is to sell me a new phone and lock me up with a contract. :)

I live in an area now where local calls don't require dialing the area code. It's kind of rural and a little insular. The locals are a little suspicious of anybody they have to call "long distance." So, this is an effort to blend in as much as anything else. I may end up having to carry two phones, but I hope not.

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Hilary....is that you. :)

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Hillary....is that you. :)

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #14 NeuroBeaker, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That what I do. I give my google voice # to people as I'll always have it and my actual number being changed doesn't affect it. It's nice they let people port their number like the OP is asking. It's the best option.

16. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    "do no evil" spies on you, you can keep the old number and get a new #(just the SIM card don't even get a phone) then from there just forward to old # so get all calls in the same phone & you don't even need a dual sim phone

1.plug in new SIM to old phone(assumed it is a dumb phone or a smart/unlocked if not the same provider)
    2. punch **21*1xxxyyyzzzz# to forward to xxxyyyzzz (#21#) to turn it off
    3. back to your old phone (xxxyyyzzzz) and u r good 2 go

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Becker. I've considered that, but what about texts? Are they forwardable?

Jack

18. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Google would cover that, all calls are recorded anyway ;-)

If u still need a single phone, no google, get a crappy android phone as the new # and there plenty of free Apps that would forward SMS from there to your old #

I've done the google thing here&there as I kinda have your situation but in my case I'm always in/out of the country and I can tell you the calls not always get forwarded maybe it is the overseas thingie. I usually get a local SIM overseas plug it in to my phone and get the calls to google also ring on the phone requires some little tweaking but you can make it ring and get the SMS on your virtual number. And "calling the US is free" from the google voice but call quality varies from ok to crappy.

19. race

race Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2013
    Carrollton Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Mead
    Sony makes a dual sim phone. The xperia is dual sim and can work on any network.

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Bumping just to see if anyone has had any recent experience with this company.

Thanks.

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    A dual-sim phone will address your situation perfectly.

I have the Sony Z5 Ultra. Works well. I have a UK and US sim. Each call, I can decide which SIM to use. I can also set a default if I like. Incoming calls for both sims ring on the device and I pick up like any normal call.

All texts on one device. All call records on one device.
    All contacts. All everything. 4k video. Waterproof--and yes, I use it to record a lot at the pool. Rock solid--I have dropped it a lot.

Z5 is awesome if you need dual number/ dual sim capability.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Zack. I'll check it out.