**** you Mac! | FerrariChat

**** you Mac!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rob lay, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've had my Mac about 2 weeks now. I have been fully acclimated! :D I never got boot record working, so just did trial version Parallels. I haven't used it at all! I'm running 100% on Mac side. I have Office and Adobe Suite all on Mac side. Most the software I had on Windows works the same on Mac.

I am even using my mouse less and less, that really shows I've moved to the dark side! :eek:

Still not 100% navigating the file structure. When you are in list within a folder completely there is no easy way to go back up a level. You can back button, but that doesn't always work. I also wish there was a Recents like Windows.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have fun with your junior computer :)

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rob, when you display a folder in the Finder on a Mac, you can see and make a selection from the upper level folder hierarchy by doing one of the following:
    - do a "right click" on the folder icon shown on the upper border of the folder window (meaning tilt your finger to the right edge of the Apple mouse as you click).

OR

- do a regular mouse click while holding down the COMMAND button (the buttons on either side of the SPACE key).​
    Here's what I mean. Shown below is an "untitled folder" showing its name and icon on the upper border of the folder window.

and here's what happens when you click on the folder icon. You see the "untitled folder" is embedded under the "to print" folder which is on the USB volume "Portable" on the computer named "Peppy".

There are a lot of detailed nuances to the Mac user interface and for the most part they behave consistently and coherently - you just need to explore. The Mac has amazing versatility and ease of use - don't be surprised if you experience a huge bump in productivity.

Enjoy your Mac. ;)

4. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I love my MBPro. And thanks to you, Rob I decided to get a new one this summer with the new release. Since I decided to wait, i had a new SSD installed in my '11 and WOW WOW WEEEE what a difference did it make. Its lightening quick.

Anyway, as much as I love it, I have to agree with you. I have never mastered the file structure as well as other nuances.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 laptop to run Windows; that says something, just took me almost 30 years to come back. My first computers were IIe and IIc.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've used Macs since 1985 ...also 30 years. Before that I was on a VAX-11/780 in a VAXcluster. The VAX architecture was essentially the "Macintosh of the superminis". :D

7. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The back button, as you've noticed, takes you where you were _before_, which is not necessarily the parent directory.

In Finder, you can use the keyboard shortcut <command> + <up arrow> to go up a level.

<command> + <down arrow> will go down a level.

There is a Finder menu item Go -> Recent Folders.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Perfect! Both things exactly what I wanted and hadn't figured out yet. Thank you.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK Rob, I thought you understood the mouse-centric idea behind Steve Jobs's creation but I guess keyboard keystrokes are closer to what Windows users are familiar with so never mind.

Enjoy your Mac anyway. ;)