quadcopters | FerrariChat

quadcopters

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kongman, Apr 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
  2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I fly an Inspire 1 quad and love it.

I went through 4 Phantoms over a few years and upgraded to Inspire in January once I had enough experience.

[​IMG]

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    We have 2 - one is a smaller "beginner" model and the other a larger sized, budget model (well rated, out of China).

Both are crazy cool, but the larger one is really great. I've taken some video, but nothing of note.

4. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

#4 norcal2, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Ive had 2 phantoms..had problems boards, controllers, I also have a cheap one now I play around with..Im waiting till the Airdog or similar product comes out, I like Soloshot, and use it, and these guys have incorporated the GPS-Lidar tech in a new drone that will automatically follow like Soloshot does on the ground...
    https://www.airdog.com/products

5. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I just bought a Phantom.

6. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Is there an aircraft alternative to these helicopters? A camera on a gimbal mount and a stable plane seems like it would offer greater flight time than the helicopter.

7. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure there are - you can also stick gopro's all over an airplane. But you cannot fly a plane below 400 feet altitude (and you are not supposed to fly a drone above 400 feet - at least in the US) so they are completely different tools for different jobs.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In 1975 there were RC planes. 2015 is the same thing a drone? Or is a drone something else?

9. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    To me a drone offers video capability. There are droneplanes which include video or seperate cameras available for planes. Quadcopters are the new rage because they are so easy to fly, fly in limited space (between trees), fly vertically and can return to 'home' and land by GPS if signal is lost or battery is low.

Saturday on my second flight was comfortable flying over car show easily able to aim camera at lines of cars and good speed to view each car without crashing into any people or cars.

Sunday on my third day flew around historic house and at high altitude and then between and under large trees and amongst the people playing croquet recording the house, the gardens and the people at the luncheon.

Very easy.