Laptop flashes Blue Screen | FerrariChat

Laptop flashes Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ManHunt, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ManHunt

ManHunt Rookie

Apr 24, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    My laptop was working fine yesterday, but now whenever I try to turn it on, it gets to the Windows start up logo, then flashes a BSOD and restarts again. I tried Safemode but nothing happen.. tsk!

Window 7 ultimate
    Fujitsu core i3
    2G RAM..

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    unplug and take out the battery, let it sit for 4-5 minutes then put battery back in an start. if that doesn't work put in the freezer for 15 minutes, if it boots copy data to usb drive quickly.

if that doesn't work, remove drive and put in another computer to see if you can access data.

if that doesn't work, restore from backup.

3. ManHunt

ManHunt Rookie

Apr 24, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate your help.. hope it will work!

4. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    When you re-install Windows, one of the first things I always do is turn OFF the automatic reboot when there is a BSOD. instructions on how to do that are here

The codes given in the BSOD are actually extremely helpful when diagnosing the root of the problem. And after a quick google can often save you tons of time and energy getting the computer back up and running.

As for fixing your current predicament, I would suggest trying to get into Safemode again after removing the battery and unplugging, as that is the best possible way to recover your system.

There are other far more technical ways to diagnose the problem using Live-boot Linux off of thumb drives but we probably don't want to get into that just yet.

5. ManHunt

ManHunt Rookie

Apr 24, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Jimmy
    Thanks for your input guys. I have tried what Innovativethinker have suggested and it seems to be working much better now. Thanks again for your help

6. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Ok so it's on but now let's help Windows maybe overcome the problem. All of this assumes you are an administrator and ALL Windows Updates are done on the machine

As always, work at your own risk. All of these will help a LOT, but it's windows so PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!

1. START -> cleanmgr -> check ALL boxes and delete and/or clean up system files.

Reboot

2. START -> CMD -> sfc /scannow -- it will run for a long time but will (kind of) self heal things it might find

reboot

3. download CCleaner from Piriform - Download CCleaner - Millions of users worldwide! and use it weekly ESPECIALLY the Registry cleanup. It is free and by far the best Windows health tool out there.

Reboot

4. Make sure your AV/AMW is up to date and aggressively active. I use Spybot and it's AV. Excellent, cheap, and effective.

5. Adjust virtual memory to a hard 1.5XRAM setting. Don't let Windows manage it.

START -> Right-Click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Settings under Performance -> Advanced Tab -> Change Under Virtual Memory -> Uncheck Automatically Manage at the top -> Choose Custom Size radio button and input the Recommended # from the bottom in Both boxes -> Set -> Apply and OK yourself back to the desktop. You will have to reboot.

Unless your BSOD was due to a bad driver or a malicious website/overload (detail not mentioned) these steps should renew and refresh her quite nicely.

let me know
    B

7. arpadkal

arpadkal Rookie

Oct 11, 2009
    North Wales, PA
    You can also run Bart-PE. Its the windows pre-install environment, it will allow you back into your system kinda back door. Unless you've done full disk encryption in which case you won't see much or be able to do much unless you have a copy of your decrypt key handy and want to type in that long ass string to unlock the drive.

8. Hit F-8 as soon as your computer goes to the black screen after the BIOS check completes. You should get a black screen with white words all over. Arrow down to "Last Known Good Configuration" and select that.

It sounds like an update or driver change caused a bit of corruption. That should take care of that issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.