Samsung Galaxy S5 - oops, we has a problem. (Call this a rant.) | FerrariChat

Samsung Galaxy S5 - oops, we has a problem. (Call this a rant.)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dm_n_stuff, May 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My wife's S5 broke over the weekend.

The flap covering the power socket has come off, rendering the waterproof (er, water resistant according to Samsung) feature null and void.

So, it's only 7 months old, has a one year warranty, and I went to the ATT store to get it replaced.

SHOCKING NEWS. The local store said, "Sorry, you have to call the ATT service center 40 miles away." We don't do any WARRANTY SERVICE here.

This after asking me if we really needed the waterproof (oops, resistant) feature anyway. When I explained that we have 4 of these, and that if they'd like to refund or replace them at no charge, things got worse. So, off to home I went, and.

I called ATT in Fort Myers and they didn't have any S5's to replace our phone with. They give us ATT's service number to call. I did, and found out . . .

The Samsung S5 has a known defect with it's waterproof case. The flap on the bottom of the phone breaks, and then the phone gets water in it. Oh, and once water gets in, the warranty is voided. This from ATT. So I ask ATT to swap ours for a new one, they tell me, "Sorry, this isn't a warranty issue, it's a recall issue" and tell me to call Samsung, that they can't help me.

I tell them, I pay for warranty service, plus insurance, and that one of those should allow ATT to send me a replacement.

NOPE, I need to send it back to Samsung, and in a couple weeks I'll have a replacement, says ATT. I ask for a supervisor. She gives me the same run around. I remind her that my discount is through Morgan Stanley, and that MS has 10,000 or more ATT users who will be thrilled to know that ATT doesn't REALLY warrant these phones, and that they might end of without a phone for up to two weeks. She tells me that SAMSUNG has instructed them to have the customer send them directly to them and that ATT can not get in the middle of that.

I ask to be conference called in with her and Samsung, she says ok, and promptly disconnects me.

Not to be deterred I call back. Give the new person my facts and she says there is a note on my file to send me a replacement phone, right after I tell her I got hung up on.

OK, so two points. ATT sucks, but we knew that, and this particular Samsung phone also sucks, as it has a known issue that can void the warranty and owners have not been notified. So, if you think your phone is waterproof, think again. And if you think ATT will help you, be prepared for a serios run around.

THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS.

Rant over.

D

2. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Can't comment on ATT, but my Galaxy S5 experience has been lackluster.

It seems like the turd of the Galaxy line.. plastic rear covering, TERRIBLE camera focus and all 'round cheap feel. I have the same problem with the charger flap closing.. mine won't stay closed and I've been told to "go fly a kite" from the carrier I purchased it from.

To pour salt in my wound, the S6 has reverted to the glass/metal finish and feels infinitely better.

I regret leaving Apple. I hated iTunes and the restriction on the harddrive so much, that I switched to android. However, I have had just about enough of this and will gladly switch back when the iPhone 6s/7 comes out.

The ONLY thing I like about this phone is that I can treat it like a USB drive and plug it into the computer.. transfer files/music over.. and off I go.

1 last thing... I HATE THE HEADPHONE CONTROL. I can never get it to skip or backtrack songs properly. ******* it, I just want my iPhone 4s back. I take it all back iTunes.. I can live with you. Even if you are like a 10/10 girlfriend who doesn't give head or do anything but missionary.

*sobs hysterically*

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    You can buy the little flap thingy on eBay for just a few bucks.

I had an S5, but got the wireless charging back for it, so rarely used the USB port. Eventually I got an S6- no more flap (but not waterproof either). I still use the wireless charging feature. It's quite convenient.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Problem is, as I see it, this is a known defect that Samsung isn't addressing.

When you have a bad design, fix it, or replace it. Do right by your customers. This isn't some $50 phone that you can toss if you don't like it.

Thinking now I should ask ATT to upgrade us to better phones to eliminate the problem.

Just like the waterproof aspect of this phone. We live in a rainy season zone, and have a pool, etc., and having something the manufacturer has to replace, even if it gets water damaged, is a good feature.

d

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Just wait until you deal with samsung customer service. Yelp them = no joy. I got my S5 back from warranty service. It is supposed to be perfect. I have not tried it and really don't care. I put my Apple 4S back in service and just fine with that bullet proof tiny screen that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Oh my S5 became a brick after 5 months so your's is better than mine.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Dave. Amazon.com. for 5 bucks. take the back cover off the phone. 2 second repair. No tools needed.

The Samsung S5 is the best smartphone I've ever had. I've had some since then that cost more and sucked compared to the S5. Dont cut off your nose to spite your face.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #7 FarmerDave, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm just guessing here - sort of out on a limb and such.... but ....

I bet.....

THEY MANAGE TO TAKE THE MONEY EVERY SINGLE MONTH WITHOUT FAIL!!! NOPE!! Not a single hitch in taking the money - never a call from them saying "we had some issues getting paid and would never halt your service but somehow our system isn't working and we can't seem to receive the money"

Nope - never in the history of such stuff has TAKING THE MONEY been a problem.... Oh, providing the SERVICE?????? hahahahahahaha- please take a number :)

Same with taxes but more so - oops :p

Jedi

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #9 SonomaRik, Aug 13, 2015
    ok, wife, as OP's :( has this 'ability' to always break her smart phone's plugin for charging.

I can have a phone [object] for life and only need to replace it because I want to or someone stole it or THEY broke it.

We are on our fourth, magic phone in five years. Don't get me started on cost or why we don't have those 'discussions' any longer....I never argue with her, well, much anyway and she's quite wonderful [well there is that lack of spacial awareness, but another story]

ok ok

The Samsung [staying with Samsung] S6 has remote charging. I'm with Sprint, not changing.

Sprint wants about $100 extra for that 'feature' and another $60 for a charger, but I'm thinking this will save me TONs of purchasing down the road. Unless she drops it :|

anyway, I see lots of those chargers on Amazon for bucks less, I can pocket a few for the price of one/two from Sprint.

a. has anyone had much experience with that near-field charging: seems great to me.

b. has anyone, knowning 'a' above, had experience with aftermarket charging units. Currently looking at these types: Anker Ultra-Slim Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung S6 / S6 Edge. They are $20 a pop and needing several for downstairs, and our resort site, car etc. etc.
    The main reason I like this Anker, besides price, is its looks: Slim, sleek modern.

Also, lastly, her phone is dying now, so needing another by this Sat....her charging ability is a PITA and tired of the belly aching. Sometimes one just has to throw bucks at things.........Owning Ferraris taught me that and trained me well. [wives....like Ferraris, never look at the sticker, the cost of fuel or the maintenance ... just drive it...oh, ya' trade ins are out....classics are in...word ]

rik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    a) I love wireless charging. Use it all the time. I started with the S5 and use it on my current S6 phone (On the S6, wireless charging is built into the phone). One thing to note: wireless charging isn't as fast as wired charging, but not a big deal to me. I keep a charge pad on my desk at work and just plop the phone on when I'm not using it, or just feel like topping up the charge.

b) I use an aftermarket charge pad by Choetech. It is 3 coil, which means that you have a bigger "sweet" spot to charge the phone on.

Here is the link on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: [3 Charging Coils]CHOETECH Stadium Qi Wireless Charger Wide Charging Area Wireless Charging Pad: Cell Phones & Accessories

The Anker you mentioned should be fine. They have a good rep as far as aftermarket chargers and batteries. It is a single coil, which means you will have to be a little more careful of how you place the phone on the charge stand.

Hope this helps.

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

Oh, this is a GREAT help[/g]: Thanks a lot.

She will be charging mostly at night, or while we both are cooking/chefin' our evening meals, so that's not going to be much an issue.

Per the S5, which is what she has now, I'm wondering if retro-fitting this might be a better solution or is it perhaps too much a stretch, or, is that the way yours came?

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    For the S5, you need a charging back.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S5 Case Wireless Charging Battery Cover - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Warning, this will make the phone a little thicker. Another alternative is to get a wireless charging adapter which will fit in the phone, but they can be a little tricky to get working right, and may compromise the water resistance of the phone (if that is an issue for you).

Amazon.com: Sunwee® Qi Standard Wireless Charging Receiver Module for Samsung Galaxy S5 Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Either one of the above will work with the charging pad I refer to in my previous post. Personally, I recommend the Samsung charging back at the expense of a slightly thicker phone.

If you have the S6, you only need the charging pad, as the wireless charging is built into the phone.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes the S5 is cr@p! Mine bricked itself while I was on a trip after 3 months of ownership. I had to send it back to samsuck to get it fixed. They were very fast and efficient. They must do this alot they got the process nailed.

14. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Wireless charging is the way to go. Bought the adapter card for my S3 and the charging pad from AMZ for less than $30 (both)

Found this because the (then) girlfriend had the same problem. Saw the other day Ikea has some nightstands and foyer tables with them built in. Excellent idea for dumping keys and phone at the door coming home...

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I haven't really had a problem per se, but my plug cover won't stay closed any more. The auto dictionary is the most awful one I've ever experienced. And lately it's been sluggish.

Although this new update seems to have fixed that a bit.

I plan on going back to Motorola.

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #16 2NA, Aug 14, 2015
    I carried one of these for a couple years when hardly anyone had a cell phone.

I still have it with extra batteries and a car adapter. It would be fun to upgrade the guts so that it could work again just for fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That would be awesome.

My dad had a couple of those and before that, the bag phone.

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So I'm still nursing my couple years (at least) old S3. Been looking at new phones but horror stories like this one make me leery. But the problem is this old thing is getting slower and has started pretty seriously heating up when doing any kind of heavy web surfing. I know it's only a matter of time before it just dies. It's already randomly just restarting.

So my question to the infinite wisdom that is Fchat is should I look at the S6? I'm not cheap per se, I like to think of it more as frugal but I hate paying $300-$500 for a new phone since it appears AT&T no longer give a decent phone cheap on upgrade. Even with signing a new contract. I guess the good 'ole days of a free phone every couple years are gone.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've talked to a few people with the S6 Edge and they were happy with it.

20. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I went from an S3 to a Note 5 a few weeks ago. Lost removable battery and micro SD card slot but device itself works great.

ATT threw in an 8" galaxy tab with the deal, which is augmenting/replacing my Nexus 7. TouchWiz has been dialed back. Nice Android experience. Was going for LG G4 but this was a deal.

I did however, agree to pay $7 a month for insurance. With the Samsung/AT horror stories posted here, I may need to rethink that...

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, another thread just popped up about the edge. I was looking at the S6 edge+ online today. Looks like a nice phone but the only difference I can really see for the + is that it will shoot 4k hd video.

Think I'm gonna hit the ATT&T store and try a couple of them out and see but will probably end up with an S6 of some variation.