Thinking of installing in wall speakers in family room? Looking for ideas. | FerrariChat

Thinking of installing in wall speakers in family room? Looking for ideas.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MVDESQ, Aug 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    We are thinking of installing in wall speakers in our family room walls for surround sound.

The room is 17 X 17 feet with 10 foot ceilings. The TV is 70 inches diagonal.

We would like to have 2 fronts and 2 rears in the walls and maybe a center channel in the wall too. We mostly watch tv in Dolby Digital mode with an occasional movie. We'd like to paint them to blend with the walls. Wiring should not be too bad as the room has a basement below it with open ceilings.

We are seeking suggestions of the size and brands of speakers to buy. Also, cheapest place to buy them. We are not looking for speakers that $1,000 plus each but we also don't want speakers that are like under $200 each either.

What subwoofer(s) should I buy? Our old powered 15" Polk Audio recently failed. We don't need in wall subwoofer(s).

By the way we are running a Sony 150W 7.2 receiver.

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I am very happy with my Bose in wall speakers. I put sound deadening foam behind the speakers to keep sound from traveling to the adjoining room. As to the grill painting, use the dry paint technique. Basically a few very light coats as to not clog the small grill holes with paint. I am very happy with my Polk audio sub as it turns itself off when no input is sensed. You can contact Polk to get a replacement processor/amp for less than a new sub.

I found my in wall speakers on sale at crutchfield.

3. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Just FYI, in case you didn't know, optimal placement of the two surround speakers in a 5.1 system puts them to the *side* of the listeners, only slightly behind them. You don't actually get to the rears until you go up to a 7.1 system, which your receiver obviously supports.

In my opinion, I'm a huge fan of the Klipsch reference series speakers, and their in-wall solutions are right in your price-point

http://www.klipsch.com/architectural-reference-speakers

Take a look at those.

Although I am a huge fan of Klipsch, I'm actually not impressed with their subwoofers, and am of the opinion that Polk Audio subs are superior to the Klipsch offerings.

4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
  5. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Thanks maybe I'll email Polk good idea. It is from early 2008 so I figured I was just sunk.

Should I have the speakers sprayed by my paint guy? I was afraid to roller paint the grills too and clog them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Should I go 7.1 set up? We don't watch a ton of movies and TV is only 5.1. How does a 7.1 system work with a 5.1 signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    I would only really recommend 7.1 for serious movie watchers using *BluRay* discs, NOT streaming.

7.1 systems generally handle 5.1 signals in one of two ways (which you can select)...

1) Simply turning off the rear speakers and only using the 5.1 channel speakers.

2) Interpolate and generate rear channels from the two surround channels. Depending on the receiver and the specific sounds, this can be hit or miss.

For primarily TV watching, there's no real reason for a 7.1 system.

8. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I used an air brush to paint my speaker grills...

9. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    So I did some Google searches last night on putting in in-wall speakers. The issue I see is that my rear speakers would be in an exterior wall if i put the in the wall behind by couch. Would it be a suitable idea to put them in the side walls as the rear of the room as it would be in non-exterior walls. Exterior walls have insulation so running wires seems more of a cutting hassle. Also I read about the fire stops being an issue too. My fronts would be easier as they are an interior wall.

FYI my house has many flush mount B&W speakers in the walls and ceilings of the living and dining rooms with a Marantz systems I've never used. Should I use those and put junkier speakers in their place?

10. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Wait wait wait...

you have in-wall B&W as in, Bowers & Wilkins custom installation speakers and Marantz amps or receivers to drive them that aren't being used, in your *dining* room???

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Amazing! Use them! And don't you DARE drive those B&W's with a sony receiver! :D:D

How many do you have? What are the marantz components?