Car Audio Help | FerrariChat

Car Audio Help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by wahoowa, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This is driving me crazy - cannot find a solution....

First, please don't tell me to get another receiver - I like the OEM version - and it's not the receiver - "blackberry buzz" is a known issue.

My F Car music content has been a loaded iPod Classic 3.5mm head phoned out into my OEM receiver (CD replaced w RCA to 3.5mm) w after market amp/speakers - have a nice, easy to access set up - sounds great, no noise - awesome to me.

I have now become a Spotify/Pandora "believer". So now using iPhone for content. The blackberry buzz created by these devices when the headphone jack is connected is overwhelming - especially when caching up a play list.

It's been suggested I try one of these PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter Helps eliminate ground loop noise from your portable music player! (3.5mm plugs) at Crutchfield.com - but they really only deal w ground loop alternator whine cause of ground loops. I also thought about trying a ferrite core

Help please! Any ideas?

2. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #2 davidoloan, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Try one of the devices that lets you use line out rather than the head phone socket?

https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html

I got two of these in a row and I was very very impressed compared to the headphone socket, but they both failed in the same way, so I wouldn't recommend them from a build quality point of view. But I might have been unlucky. The car stereo controls the volume independently which is great. Here is a youtube review which will give you an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7QFvxZius

I would recommend you try a line out cable from one of the car manufacturers. BMW sell one which should be good quality. I'm pretty sure the one you need is BMW part number 61122338491 for the old apple connectors or BMW part Number 61122287642 for the new apple lightning connector, but you need to check that out. The BMW part has short cable ends because they used to have a charge only usb and stereo connection in the armrest and they originally had the idea you would leave your device in the armrest. That might not suit you, but its a starting point for your own research.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    David - thank you for giving it a shot - I failed to mention my line out is lightning vs 32 pin. But you did give me pause for thought and I'm now hunting down a lightning w analog conversion dongle - if such a beast exisits.....

4. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 davidoloan, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Hi Bill,

I updated my post with BMW part Number 61122287642 at the same time as you were writing. It has the lightning connector.

You would need to check that the later cable has the same capabilty as the earlier one but I think it does.

I suspect you will need longer audio and usb cables though than the BMW ones, though if not ideal you could always use extension cables. However I think line out is definitely something to try out, and there are bound to be lots of other products out there.

This is pretty interesting too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyey7tzbEFY - Airplay in the car via an Apple Airport Express. Airplay is lossless. In the video they use a usb for power by choice but it will be possible to power it permanently. I use one of these with a hi fi at home and its very good for wireless audio.

5. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    I doubt filters will help. Hard to visualize your setup, but look for connection from HU to AMP, if it's RCA's make sure they shielded and good and try grounding them at headunit. Made all my noises disappear, that was a Pioneer HU, these are prone to blowing pico-fuses inside that ground RCA shields, so they become antennas.

6. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, I checked the dongle (61122287642) it terminates in a USB (no USB on Becker) and what looks like a 3.5mm - which I could plug into a female 3.5 to male RCA so I might give that a shot. But $81 is ridiculous. Airplay in the car is just not an option - way too "bulky" (12v to 110v converter/airport express/ - there but only so much room up there :) ) I did have that set up in a 4WD where had no space limitations - iPad mini was the controller - it works well.

Hey, Vlad, great to hear from you - it's pretty simple, I just did the CD disconnect thing and replaced with a 3.5mm to RCA that plugs in where the CD used to go. Plug the 3.5 into the headphone jack of the iPod (now iPhone).

I think you're onto something - I'll pull the head unit and ground the outer RCA rings to the chassis - thanks! :D

7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
  8. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #8 davidoloan, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The BMW cables USB is for charging only. They are expensive.

I thought you had a 3.5mm input, but i guess you have something like this connect 2 box behind your Becker with 2 RCA inputs.

The cable you found looks like it might work, and the lightning cable is 6 feet so you might get the whole lot installed behind the Becker with just the lightning cable coming out and permanent electrical power from the car.

i don't know if iStream is a quality brand. I think the Amazon one is this model JamLink charging cable

i don't know if using line out will clean up your sound but it did for me, although your iphone 5/6 will be pure digital out. We did it about 3-4 years ago on a BMW E65 and the sound was perfectly clean compared to poor via the headphone socket. I would test it out before wiring it all up permanently.

9. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Its a digital out on the phone. Using the cable you found the analogue signal will be coming from the dac built into the cable.

10. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill