Samsung S6 Edge: Am i the only one? | FerrariChat

Samsung S6 Edge: Am i the only one?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Oct 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I got the S6 Edge a few months ago to replace my S4 which was a great phone until i dropped it on my garage floor.

So i got the S6 thinking i would love it as much as i did the S4. Almost. One thing pisses me off to no end with the S6...The edges..why are they tactile??? When im holding the phone and typing, parts of my hand is touching these edges and they are interacting with the screen so it will either make the cursor jump from where i am typing to a random area on the screen or it selects part of my text. This happens not only with email, but also when im scrolling on facebook for example.

And for what? Just so i can have the phone clock visible when it is laying flat?

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just posted today about looking at the S6. This will be something I'll keep in mind as I'm looking at them. Is there a way to turn off the tactile part of the edge?

Any other issues with it? Looks like a nice phone but I'm not sure what the real advantage of the edge is. Gonna go look at a couple and see what I like best.

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think there is a way to disable the edge. Havent really looked for it though. The advantages are really little stuff. I think you can set up the edge so that it flashes a certain color when a certain contact calls..Stupid stuff.

But other than that, it's a great phone. Fast, the camera is amazing and the battery lasts easily a day.

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I went with the regular S6. Didn't think the edge functions provided any real advantages, and from reading this thread, looks like I may have been right. It was cheaper too.

That said, I love my S6. Very fast, with decent battery life (about the same as my old S5).

I wonder what the S7 will bring...

5. Tw1tcHy

Tw1tcHy Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Got a new S6 a month or so ago after the mighty Galaxy S5 Active lost its battle with a recliner. One thing I enjoy is that it's a slimmer phone so it can fit in my cup holder once again. That is, until I put a case on it, which I hadn't done for any previous phones. Ah well.

As for the battery life, I notice a decrease in overall battery life when actually using the phone, but standby is amazing. Where it really shines however it how insanely fast it charges compared to any other phone I've ever tinkered with. I'm still not 100% thrilled with it, and I don't like the redesign of some icons after the recent software update ~2 weeks or so ago, but it's an upgrade from the S5 Active for sure.

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I went with the S6 64GB. It's AMAZINGLY fast compared to my ancient S3 (duh!). I found it to be a slippery little phone, literally it kept sliding off of things when I set it down. I added a fairly cheap case and I am loving it. The fingerprint recognition is taking a bit to get used to but I just about have it down now.

Love the wireless charging too although at first it seemed to be a bit quirky and the phone kept beeping. Seems to have settled in now and works fine.

I liked the look of the edge and even liked the edge+ more, but couldn't really see the functionality of the edge being worth $200 more.

So where I work I can't have a camera in my phone. What I was doing before was just taking the sim card out and putting in an old phone that I had drilled the camera. After a little google searching I found out both cameras in the S3 are removable little "all in one" packages. I took the phone apart, took them both out and put it back together.

The only issue I had is the S3 has a micro and S6 is Nano sim. I bought an adapter but ended up ruining the card reader port on the S3. Luckily it is also a plug and play unit so after replacing that and getting a different adapter for the sim, I am back in business with swapping them. Pretty simple stuff really. Gotta love Google and youtube. You can find out how to fix just about anything!!

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ Thank you all for the info! My wife and I are due to swap out our S4's this weekend, and I've been wondering if the Edge was worth it. Honestly, the S4's are still pretty solid phones, but they've recently slowed down with the Lollipop updates.

The Nexus 5x is on my radar screen, thinking it might keep all that Verizon bloatware at an arms distance...

8. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Ive been a die hard Galaxy fan for sometime now (S2,S4,S5, and S6 edge). The S6 Edge has honestly let me down. From the completely random restarting that occurs to me being able to write this and watch my battery fall about 3-4%. Its standby does not fair much better, especially after about 10% is left. Consider that 10% to be gone in less than an hour of standby. My S5 in Ultra Power Saving mode would give me almost two days of phone life without it needing to plug it in to a charger. This phone has no exceptional charging time whatsoever. I miss the supercharger that came with the S5, now that was fast. Id honestly wait for anyone looking to purchase a new phone until the S7 comes out or a new Iphone is released.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You can't equate the S5 battery life and good while mentioning the Ultra Power Saving mode. That defeats the entire purpose of a smart phone. The S5 battery life is pretty crappy when used normally, even using the regular power saving mode.

I do love the quick charging, but most phones have that these days.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I saw it and thought it was a gimmick. Ended up with the big Nexus, which is excellent.

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I really liked the look better but I honestly think it's mostly gimmick. The salesman was saying the normal S6 Edge didn't even have that many functions on the edge. The Edge + supposedly had a lot more. But part of that may have been sales pitch too.

So I ended up with the S6 64gb for less than the S6edge+ 32gb. I think it was the right choice although the edge does look really cool.

12. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have the Edge+ and really like it. Slim enough to fit in my pocket even with a case. The screen is incredible. Football games really look nice!

If you haven't done so, activate Samsung Pay. It works pretty much anywhere. Every time I use it in a store, it blows the clerk's mind! Plus I like the fact that it creates a virtual number for my debit and credit cards which adds another layer of security.

Overall, a good phone, but I do have to agree that it's seems to have a very sensitive screen.

13. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Is the fingerprint scanning function the same as on the Galaxy S5? I.e. you have to swipe your finger over the pad? Mine never seems to work right... One of the reasons I would consider an iPhone again where you hold your finger on the home button.

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    No, you just hold your finger on the button like the iPhone. Much better on the S6 than on the S5.

15. mvaldezf60

mvaldezf60 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Though not as S6 edge I do have the S6 Standard version. I have to say so far the iPhone is proving to be an easier phone to use (faster app connection, less call call drops) I hope it's just the fact I've been an iphone user for years! The pictures the S6 Edge and S6 take are far better quality than any iphone could take though!

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So far I'm really happy with the S6. The only issues I've found is the fingerprint scan can be finicky still. Sometimes it works fine but other times I end up at the backup password screen. Seems to be really bad if my hands have been in water.

The other issue I'm having is about every third time I lay it on the wireless charging station it either doesn't charge properly or for some reason it starts constantly beeping. Really annoying.

And finally I keep having issues swapping the SIM to my old phone. Can I clone the SIM and just shut one phone down when I start the other? Swapping the card and specifically the adapter is driving me nuts.

Either that or can I buy a cheap phone that will work on At&T and take the smaller nano sim card?

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Fingerprint sensor: The phone can store 3 sets of fingerprints. It may help if you use the other sets to also record your fingerprint. This tends to improve accuracy. Also, when you are scanning, I typically scan several fingers in each slot.

Charger: You charger may defective. I got a cheap 3-coil charger from Amazon and have not had any issues:

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger with 3 Coils (Top Rated) - CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charging Pad with Wide Charging Area for Galaxy Note 5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge+ and Lumia 950xl / 950 and Other QI Enable Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Dom, I'll look at trying that with the fingerprints. Might also have to look at the charger you linked. The charger doesn't act up all the time but I am learning that I need to look at the phone to make sure it's actually charging. Have had more than once the light on the charger lights up but the phone isn't actually charging.

Could be defective too, maybe I'll grab it and swing back by the store.

So I'm reading that AT&T will give folks an extra SIM card. I wonder if I can talk them into doing that for me with a micro card that I can just leave in the old phone for work. Probably not. The adapter I bought actually broke the other day so now I'm at work with no personal cell again. It's a pain switching it from the S6 too because you have to use the little "key" to open the sim card.

19. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just an update on my previous posts after living with the S6 for a few months. I really like the phone. It's easy to use, pretty good size, seems to be durable (yes I've dropped it a couple times), and I haven't found much it won't do.

After seeing Dom's advice above about adding he same fingerprint several times that seems to work much better. I like not having to remember a code or pattern or whatever. The charger seemed to settle in and works ok although honestly I pretty much went back to plugging it in to charge overnight since I use it as an alarm anyway.

As for the additional SIM card AT&T will give you a spare in case you loose yours. But you can't switch them back and forth. So as of now there is no easy way to swap back and forth between phones. The S6 has a tiny pin you have to use to open the SIM card slot. Total pain in the ass since I switch mine pretty much every day. If you don't though it won't be a big deal at all.

Went through hell with my old phone and SIM card adapters ripping out the pins in the reader. Finally found a brand that works well without damaging the reader. The only good part is I can now take apart an S3 and replace most of the internal parts quickly and easily. Glad it was that easy.

Short answer is it's a great phone and I would recommend it.

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    John, why don't you get the dual-sim S6? My dad travels internationally for work so I got it for him from a dealer on ebay and surprisingly it was even a bit cheaper than the US versions despite having the same bands and extra functionality. The dual-sim integration is excellent throughout the phone software. He uses it on AT&T's network and has the same LTE and GSM coverage as with AT&T specific phones.

The phone is just unbelievably fast compared to an S4 I had and the 2013 Moto X I use now. It's a shame they've all gotten so big now.

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I actually did a stupid thing. On NYE, i set up a new pin and i guess i was a little unsober and entered a pin i never used. New morning i couldnt remember the PIN. I called ATT, read forums etc and found out that the only way is a factory reset. I found a way to unlock it by accessing the samsung find my mobile phone tool and locking it through the net but every hour the phone will lock itself with that pin if i dont use it.

So pro tip, dont set up a pin when you are not 100% sober.

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    OK I know it's been awhile since you posted this. Not sure I get the advantage of a dual sim phone though. Are you saying I could use one sim in my old phone? How do you switch back and forth?