Windows 8 vs Windows 10 | FerrariChat

Windows 8 vs Windows 10

Discussion in 'Technology' started by texasmr2, Nov 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Any advantages or downfalls? I have a free download to upgrade to 10 but I want to be cautious.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm in the same boat - bought a PC (for iracing) that came with 8 and is offering a 'free' upgrade to 10.

I asked the same question, and the little feedback I got was to leave 10 alone, at least for now. I guess it depends on what you're looking to do, but for my needs at least, 8 (with the latest patches of course) works a treat.

I may be wrong, but seems 8 is their latest 'stable' release. YMMV. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    EDIT; I also asked the same Q on the iRacing site - "Stick with 8" was the consensus.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I cannot remember where or when but I think I heard the same thing, thanks and I think I will just stick with 8. I do not play games on computers anyway.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Ian,
    Out of curiosity I tried W10 for a few days but returned to W8 this morning, take notice that W10 only gives you 30 days to revert back to your previous OS and thankfully I was within the imposed time limit. The one positive aspect about W10 is that it updates your drivers, which I needed, and DELL wanted $100+ to perform this service as my laptop is out of warranty.

Gregg

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    My brother did the free upgrade. He likes it, but also said if you just surf the net, not worth upgrading. I didn't like windows 8 on my laptop. I like classic explorer and doing my email via the browser. Didn't like it in phone app type guise. I found a thing called classic shell, turns windows 8 into old school windows look and feel. Adds a start button, etc. I now love windows 8 and not going to upgrade.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Upgrading stops the incessant pop up ads, but that is the biggest selling point

7. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #7 Duane_Estill, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    I've done around 10 installs of Windows 10, having switched to it just a month ago. I'd heard some horror stories about ten, but I had no issues.
    So far 10 is better in every way than 8, better drivers, faster, more stable, and easier to configure, as for the OS part. There are other things
    but as far as being a good operating system, 10 is better. 8 was the worst dog MS has dropped in a while, reflected in how quickly they updated
    to 8.1, and how soon 10 hit. Notices that there wasn't a Windows 7.1, and it stayed a while because it was a very stable OS. I still us it on more
    machines than any other.

Here is the critical thing about running Windows 10. This is the most "social media/web aware" version yet, and you have to TURN OFF the sharing features on the front end or your information is going to get indexed everywhere, but especially Bing. I hate Bing. There are a ton of location, information, interest, web surfing, etc. features and details that Windows 10 shares BY DEFAULT that you have to turn off.

The key to my installs is to download the USB drive install setup. I copy the ISO image to a thumb drive and just do my installs off of the USB drive. I've installed mostly 10 Pro 64 bit. I've done a few 32 bit Home installs.

I always go with the Pro version in 64 preferably, or 32 bit otherwise. Windows 10 Pro is more similar to Windows 7 Pro in it's administrative features and stability. Windows 8 and 8.1 were a joke, unstable, and the web integration technologies were not stable enough, but that's all fixed in Windows 10.

The main reasons for preferring Windows 10 Professional are these:

1.Windows 10 Home forces updates, on Pro you can choose them, or reject them.
    2. Windows 10 Home uses Media center, Pro does away with it, which is good since it doesn't rifle through your drives finding stuff.
    3. It has less "free offer" junk on it.
    4. It has less "get started" and consumer oriented pieces on it.
    5. It is set up for networking and runs programs in a more isolated memory
    space than Windows Home and is more crash proof than the home versions.
    6. It has more diagnostics and feature control of the actual OS and machine setup.
    7. You can setup and manage your storage alot better with "driver manager."
    8. Windows Home has no "group policy editor" to control user access to machines, which is important in a multi-user setup.

Home version has no remote desktop, no virtual desktop, no virtualizaiton capable features for server class machines, no bitlocker. Pro has more encryption features than home and you can join a domain with just a click and credentials. The level of control of Pro is more for a power user, Home is for facebook and photobucket and word processing, simple as that. You have to know your way around a Windows machine to effectively use the Pro
    version, otherwise you can get into trouble fast and have a mess on your hands. Too many people think their machine is broken or has problems when it their own idiocy and incompetence that is the problem. People wear computer problems as some badge of honor. "It took me 8 hours to install Windows 10 on my laptop and I had to call tech support four times and it STILL wont' access the internet." Windows 10 is a 50 minutes install, tops, and not that difficult. Most of mine have been right at 30 minutes, but I have to admit fast hard drives and lots of RAM do shorten the time.

Just right click on the windows/start icon, there's your real power right there.

Windows 7 Professional was the most stable operating system MS has made in a while. This is borne out by the fact that Dell, among others, is still selling that OS with their workstation class machines. The driver sets are stable and more complete, and the application and hardward fault tolerance is much better. Windows 10 Pro is the immediate descendant of Windows 7 Pro, whereas Windows Home and starter are not. This goes all the way back to Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0. They were separate products back then, but now they are just different versions of the same OS. The PRO version is always going to be more stable and better at networking. PRO is a completely different product, not just a fancier version. Pro runs in 64 bit mode as well, Home does not.

I worked as a Network Admin around the time Windows NT 4.0 came out and I've used every single operating systems MS has made since then and have completed tons of installs on lots of machines over the years. There are others on here who have alot more experience than me, so take what I say with as big of a grain of salt as you prefer.

These are just my early impressions of Windows 10. I'm running them on two personal machines at the moment. Dell 690 Precision dual CPU Xeon dual core with 32GB of ram and 4TB Raid drives, just some older machines that run fast with good drives. I use two of those for daily tasks.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Go to notifications at the lower right of your screen, select "hide" for DWX.

9. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Windows 10 is proving easier to install and more stable all the time.

I just completed an install of Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit with complete networking setup and RAID drivers in less than 20 minutes. That's a very fast install for any version of Windows.

Windows 10 is the best windows yet.

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    FIFY.

10 is a lowest common denominator operating system. If you know zero about computers and you don't mind handing over control of your machine(s) to M$ and constantly being spied on, then you won't mind 10. If you are a power user who demands sovereignty over your machines you will hate it.

I would suggest 8 over 10 if you want to maintain control of your machine. Both suck terribly, but 8 can be skinned to (mostly) behave like 10, yet it gives you far more control. Again, both suck beyond words.

The real reason M$ is pushing 10 is that they want to go to a subscription model for their OS, so they are trying to wean users away from the idea that their computers actually belong to them. In reality, M$ is making itself more and more redundant and chasing more and more customers to OSx and/or Linux. In ten years M$ will look like Y!

11. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Didn't need that "fix" at all. I know how to install 10 and make it work exactly like I need to. You presume way too much, and your politicized explanation is completely uninteresting and utterly irrelevant. It works for what I do, and that is all there is to it.

Again, you do what you want, if you can't get 10 to install, that's your problem, and I don't care.

You really presume an awful lot. I DO use Linux, I use Sun Unix. I use Mac OS-X. Why would you need to think that if I use Win 10 then I wouldn't use Linux? The only reason is to try and float your lame-a** argument about operating systems that has zero to do with how they do what they do, and all this BS about Microsoft and it's profit. Like you know what Microsoft will be doing in ten years, or like that has anything to do with getting my work done today. That's all I use it for, it's a tool, not some sociological conundrum.

I'd take 500 shares of Microsoft stock right now and in ten years over your yearly salary any day of the week.

You're quite silly, and in the future keep your fixes to yourself.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What an arrogant and asinine response. FYI, this is not *your* forum-- you do not even own a Ferrari. Everyone is free to respond and opine here as long as they are not tools, a line which you well and truly crossed.

I have did not say a single word about having a problem getting 10 to install, you are apparently just too obtuse to actually read my post.

Enjoy your M$ stock-- no doubt it will keep you on your current financial trajectory. I will continue to enjoy Windows 7 and my many cars, including my Ferrari.

13. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Not nearly as assinine and arrogant as your initial response.

As for your second excretion grunted out on the screen....does absolutely nothing for me other than the obvious.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    To both of you: this bickering is uncalled for and escalating for no reason whatsoever. Stop making this personal. Come to think of it, just put each other on ignore for a while if you have to.

15. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Apologies for the disruption.

Just want to add that the other party did the "Fixed it for you" thing which was the instigation of the whole thing.

16. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I really like 8.1 for a touch screen tablet. For that reason I've got a Surface Pro 3 that still runs 8.1.

The place holders for One Drive files are a go/no go for me. The next update of 10 will bring back the place holders. I have lots of storage on the cloud, keeping these files synced to my SSD is not an option and the interface that is part of 10 now is....not an option.

If you don't have a lot of files in the cloud then 10 is a way better OS.

17. GermanyBound

GermanyBound Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    As a computer professional, I am suggesting my customers to NOT upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. I am doing this because there have been so many problems that need to be fixed - problems with drive mappings, drivers causing the BSOD and many other issues. The advice I am giving people is the same I have given for every previous edition of Windows - wait for the first Service Pack. The November update was not a Service Pack. Let others be the "beta" testers that Microsoft has used on all previous OS editions.

To stop getting the Windows 10 upgrade notifications, I suggest win10wiwi. That is "Windows 10 when I want it". It blocks updates from telling to update to Windows 10.

With systems that come with Windows 10, I tell the user to consider "downgrading" to Windows 8.1 for compatibility reasons.

18. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    You can still order new laptops with Windows7 Professional factory installed. I returned a new Windows10 laptop to Costco after only 3 weeks. Windows10 never recovered from an event where the power cable unplugged while the PC was running. Of course, ever since Windows95, you're supposed to properly shut down the computer using the Start menu option. Still, XP never had a problem rebooting after loss of battery power or accidental pressing of the power button. WINDOWS10 CANNOT handle forced shutdowns.

Another massive problem with Windows10 is the Scroll Bar on the right side of every window. Windows10 introduces a disappearing/transparent scroll bar that reappears when the cursor is moved over the scroll area. The issue is you move the cursor over to the scroll area and the scroll bar won't appear. Every time I needed to scroll, the scroll bar wasn't there. I had to click a couple times on right edge of the window and resize it a little in order to wake up the scroll bar. THEN when you click on the scroll bar and begin to drag down, the cursor would slip off the scroll bar, and the scroll bar would disappear.

Nobody has ever talked about scrollbars like this because it has been working fine since Windows3.1, but not anymore. I could care less about the cosmetics of it, I just need it to function normally. Windows10 is unstable and unsafe.... If a Crane Operator was using Windows10 remotely with a mouse, you'd see massive loads of material being dropped on pedestrians. Who cares about scrollbars, other than the fact that it's an essential element of the graphical user interface and must work and not waste your time.

I'm talking about brand new, completely stock HP laptops from COSTCO running Windows10 that shipped Feb 2016.

Setup was an insult, "In order to configure your new Windows 10 computer, we need to know a few things about you" "Would you like Windows 10 to recommend songs playlists based on your personal preferences?" NO. "OK, Your new machine is ready to use" All setup wanted to know is if I wanted to buy any games, songs, or movies.

ROLLBACK to Windows 7 Professional. My neighbor is senior accountant for IBM, the whole dept still uses Win7Pro.

19. GermanyBound

GermanyBound Rookie

Feb 4, 2015
    Windows 8.1 has improved immensely from Windows 8 but it isn't quite as good as Windows 7 (in my opinion). Of the true Windows OSs, I rate 98SE as the best, Windows 7 2nd and Windows 2000 as 3rd. The worst? ME followed by 95 and Vista.