Remote rebooting router | FerrariChat

Remote rebooting router

Discussion in 'Technology' started by luvair, Jan 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    How can I reboot my home network router remotely?

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Can you access it at all?

You should be able to access it via its 'public' IP address, unless you've disabled said access. (Which is something I do as I really don't want folks trying to access it from the 'outside'.)

Can you ping it?

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This might not help today (unless you have remote access enabled on the router), but one trick I use is this: I have an X10 lamp module from my home security system that I've utilized for my router and modem. That way, I can leave "remote access" off on the router, but use my home security system to basically turn off/on the power at that lamp module and effectively reboot the network from a remote location. It's sloppy, but it works a treat.

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Gents,

Thank you for your responses.

I tried access through my specific "public" IP address and/or ping, with no success.

Not sure how I can resolve to reboot router any other way?

Good idea about X10. Suggest in future buying something like an Orvibo Wifi Smart Socket Outlet?

That way suspect can plug router in directly and if it goes down, can be rebooted via Wifi. I do have ability to reboot modem remotely, its the router that's an issue.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. starkfu

starkfu Rookie

Jan 9, 2015
    Lovettsville, VA
    I ditched SOHO routers a long time ago and went with a pfsense firewall and Apple airport extreme combo a long time ago... now I can reach all my locations (which are linked via site to site VPN) from anywhere via static IP.

Gives me control of WAP, pfsense, switches, and all devices on the network including my smart home equipment. pfsense is free and you can re-purpose an old computer to run it. relatively easy to pick up on config if you have some computer knowledge.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like an awesome way to go but it's obviously not for the faint of heart. ;)

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Installing_pfSense

8. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    No, did not configure for remote access.

Returned home and unplugged the router and the Cisco router is back on-line.

I thinking if router goes down again while away, what is my best alternative when / if need to reboot remotely. Appreciate any of your thoughts?

The pfsense sounds interesting, but was looking for something more plug and go to reboot
    remotely. Maybe its to try again through the IP address, purchase a different router/devices.

TIA.

9. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Question.

If your router, that connects your houses wifi to the Internet, crashes/needs rebooted, how will you be able to use your houses wifi/internet to talk to the wifi switch to reboot the router, which will fix the wifi/internet so you can talk to the switch to reboot your router?

Sort of like using a rope ladder to reach the branch in the tree where you want to tie the rope ladder to so you can climb the tree.

10. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    You're correct, of course. I wasn't thinking it through when I wrote the tread.

11. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I really really wouldnt set your router up to allow external acess. A potential giant security hole.

You could do it with a home automation system. Set up a timer that turns on a smart switch every hour which powers your router (or 24 timers at 1 hour intervals), but doesnt turn it off. If your router crashes, remote control the switch off. The timer should now turn it on within an hour.

"Odd" solution but could work... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our ASUS router at work is constantly getting jammed up and we need to reboot it often.

Initially I almost bought the NetReset but realized that we need to retain the battery back-up for the modem and router (the power cycles regularly in our part of FL).

Next idea was the power strip with the built in timer. But that requires a daisy-chain wiring scenario (fire code violation).

So far no battery backups with timers. All search results are the other way around; timers with battery backup. :(

NetReseT

Globe Electric 24201 8 Outlet Power Strip with Digital Timer - Power Strips And Multi Outlets - Amazon.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Get another router. I got a Netgear R7000 - never needs rebooting. Keep the cable modem, and just use a WiFi router behind it. Those really shouldn't need reboot.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    We had a Netgear, don't recall which one. Now it's a ASUS RT-N66U as recommended by our VoIP provider, RingCentral, for effective QoS.

Lots of problems with it unless a third-party firmware is installed (Merlin). Right now I can't afford to do the upgrade and take the risk of bricking the unit.

Weekly reboots are so much easier...

15. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    This will program your router for an automatic reboot:

Asus Wireless N and AC router automatic reboot setup

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting, thanks. But I'm a GUI Guy and will need to convert my thoughts to command line.

Some comments are disturbing, "Hi, you need to install Merlin Firmware, it takes about 5 minutes and it is so simple." Simple yes, but then one needs to reconfigure the configuration. Relying on a backup file is nuts to me, and then there's hours of testing afterwards.

"takes about 5 minutes and it is so simple". Yeah, right.

The best solution for business continuity is to have a spare/matching router available. Then do the upgrades on the other.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But that built-in timer feature is really slick, thanks.

18. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    #18 EnzymaticRacer, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just checked out the setup for our Asus RT-AC66U running the latest official software. Found out that it has a reboot schedule option built into it now.

The firmware running our two routers should be pretty similar, so you make want to take a look.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So cool ^^^

I just checked my RT-N66U and, although the GUI looks the same, it doesn't have the reboot feature. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will provide it, and hopefully the Merlin version as well.

Looking to buy a spare router now so I can preconfigure and have absolutely minimal downtime.

Thanks Robert!

20. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Ah ok. No problem Wade. Honestly, this is our first Asus router. It isn't perfect, but they are the first company where their firmware updates have actually been useful, either for fixing known issues or for adding new features, so I highly recommend keeping yours as up to date as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Thanks all for your education, and experiences. Thought I was a geek of sorts, but clearly did not much about routers, especially how much better they are compared to a couple of years ago. Clearly, as you all know, having an unique passwords is most important to resist hacking.