High Performance PC on a budget. | FerrariChat

High Performance PC on a budget.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Duane_Estill, Jan 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Ebay is flooded with Dell Precision Xeon workstations, mostly "off lease." The best one's are the dual CPU (two individual CPU's) Xeons. They go anywhere from $75.00 for single CPU to $400 for one's that are newer. Mine are from 2007. 2008, and 2010. These machines had slightly ahead of the game technology, like DDR 3 memory and Sata raids, which nowadays is not quite as old as the age of the machines would indicate.

I'm putting fast graphics cards, solid state drives, 32GB or more of ram, upgrading the power supply to the super quiet ones, and these machines are really solid and high performance. I've got around $350 in a machine that is more than equal to a fast i7 for $1,500 or more. The dual CPU Xeons actually handle multi-tasking better than a single i7. They can also be upgraded to quad core CPU's for not too much money, and that really puts them up there.

Running windows 10, I'm getting great performance with Autodesk Maya, 3D max, Aurora 3D, Lumion 3D, Swish Max, Adobe CS5.5, particularly Premiere and After Effects, and Flash.

The cases are full towers with 6 open PCI slots, 6 Sata drive bats, risers for more ram, plenty of room for extra fans. You can also easily adapt them for liquid cooling

This is a good example. I'm not the seller, nor do I sell them, don't know the seller, but I got a very comparable deal for just a little less. I'd recommend these for someone wanting to build a killer machine on a budget.

Dell Precision 690 2X Xeon 5160 3GHz Dual Core CPUs 32GB Mem 1TB FX4500 | eBay

They also sell the Dell M1000 blade setups for around $300 and Xeon modules for less than $100 with hot swappable power supply and hard drives. This would be cool to load up linux and use NFS to ape them all together and get a low end render farm/supercomputer.

Storage is getting cheaper these days as well. We're starting to see "petabyte" arrays too, but they are not cheap. A 25 petabyte (25,000 gigabytes) array is runs around $300K

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    huh, i have one of those i bought in 2001 running XP to run bloomberg using as we speak....

the FX4500 is a quad video card ?

how much is the OS to add ?

3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i was told by my tech guy the ram is expensive on these machines...

4. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    I paid $40 for 32GB installed before they shipped it, that's not bad at all. It is DDR3 1600 MHZ and it works great.That's pretty cheap in RAM prices today.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    one is on its way.....

they upgraded me to the 770 model (?) box, OS and dual video cards. all $270 shipped.

6. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    That's a great deal based on what I've gotten on these boxes. All three of mine are percing away all day.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Duane, you'll love this.... I traded a Schecter Hellraiser for the big ass Dell computer I'm using today.

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i told duane this but i bought one of these in 2001...... it has pretty much run 24/7 since then...

9. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    If it was trans orange it wasn't worth it.....any other color, sure.

Seriously....I look at PC's more like big caclulators, guitars are art. Both in the making and in the playing.

10. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    how much faster are these servers then a i5-i7 mid tower?,ive never seen these before

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i dont think they are any "faster" per say.... seem to be on par, much more expandable and heavy duty

12. LaurenFezza

LaurenFezza Rookie

Feb 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Lauren
    I'd recommend checking out reddit.com's /r/buildapc. Link for the lazy: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

If you haven't heard of it, they're a whole community based around answering your exact question!

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    ok,now that I bought a server [dell t5500 2x zeon 2.66,no hdd/no software],I cant get the video card to load[no monitor/picture]who's got any ideas?

,i can put every other computer together but these servers are different