Desktop radio | FerrariChat

Desktop radio

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jdubbya, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I started working nights and work in a pretty large office that is empty all night long. So I generally hop onto one of the local radio stations online or youtube/vevo for some music.

The problem is, even at night the internet connection or computer or both keep having issues with playing videos or live streaming music without constant interruptions. That drives me NUTS sort of like listening to a radio where the station keeps cutting in and out.

I bought a cheap little $50 boombox but it sounded like crap. I don't really want to spend $200-$300 to get something nice like a Bose Wave radio or similar to leave on my desk. Chances are it wouldn't go anywhere but you never know around here.

So I find myself looking for a reasonably priced, like under $100 radio that has decent sound.

Any tips? Can't have recording capabilities. Silly DOD security paranoia. ;) Also wont' do any good to talk about apps or downloads, no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth allowed either.

Thanks!!

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not really looking to get a monthly/yearly subscription either. I activated the Sirius or XM in a car I bought but I live pretty much out in the sticks and after a few weeks of trying it called them back and cancelled. The thing would cut out anytime I passed a high curb it seemed. Trees, buildings, dogs, people walking by. Goes back to my comment about the radio cutting in and out. Drives me nuts. :)

Anyway, all that above just to say I wouldn't use it in the car because it wouldn't work well where I live so not really looking to pay a fee to listen to music at work.

I'm thinking more like an AM/FM radio maybe with a CD player. I know I'm being cheap but what would be pretty much ideal would be something like a Bose Wave radio with CD player. I just have a hard time paying $350-$500 for a radio to sit on my desk.

I'm going to look around again next time I'm out. Maybe Best buy will have something I can listen to and decide. I'm not expecting concert hall sound for ~$100 but it would be nice if it sounds decent at least.

4. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have you tried streaming from an apps website like TuneIn?

I know you mentioned streaming doesn't work well, but I honestly believe it's radios websites that are the problem. I have the problem in my home. Sometimes it'll work, then others it's a hickuping nightmare. You might want to make sure you can get over the air signals in the office too.

I bought a Sony Walkman (yes, a real walkman) a while back and it worked fine. AM stations were fine for the most part, but depending on the area of the building it may be static. FM worked fine. Now at the last company I worked at, it was useless, except for one AM station. FM didn't even work!!!

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    What phone do you have?

Many cell phones these days actually have FM antennas... just have to check to see if the feature is enabled on your phone.

After that all you need are some speakers...

You are making the right call by staying cheap... most FM stations these days sound like crap anyway... so even if you did spend a few bennies, if your only option is FM, its still gonna sound like crap.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Gotta be honest, my Sirius suggestion was kinda based on recent experience with it in my local bar (! ;)) - It's great for that sort of environment.

What I hadn't done was check out the subscription fees - Holy-moley! I honestly had no idea it was that expensive! :(

I'm thinking one of those boxes you found @ Amazon is looking like the best solution!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm trying out the Tune-in which might just work ok. We'll see. So far it's only locked up/cut out once. Just need to look and find a few stations I like depending on mood. :) I used to use Radio.com but then they changed everything and I want to say it was blocked at work for some reason. But I just looked again and it seems to work again too. Sometimes new or changed sites get blocked by the software for whatever reason.

Listening to an HD station now but the "ads" seem to pop up right over the songs which seems odd.

Reception should be pretty decent, I'm on the 3rd floor of my building and right on the water with almost a direct line to Seattle where most of the stations are.

Well I know I'm not going to get concert hall sound at my desk although I thought about one of the little bookshelf stereos which would be better than computer speakers but still not great. I have a good system at home and some pretty decent headphones when I want too.

The phone I bring to work is my old Galaxy S3 because I can't have a camera and I've removed them from it. But I will look into that too. I could use a streaming app on my phone but it would be all data with no Wi-Fi available. Not a big deal as I have the old grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan. But it does give me more options.

I wouldn't mind the subscription if I could use it in my car too but like I said it's about worthless where I live.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys!! Appreciate it.

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If it makes you feel better, I share 10 gigs with my parents on a family plan and I was streaming 8-10 hours per day at my last contract job and never even hit the 75% mark on data use each month. All of that was spent on TuneIn.

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nah the data doesn't worry me. Although for a lot of the night I'm sitting at the computer so Tunein is on that right now. No issues since the first hiccup. You might have hit on a solution. If it keeps working pretty well I'll probably look for a reasonably priced set of computer speakers and bring them in.

11. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder what Sirius is Smoking when it comes to their *advertised* prices... they've gotta be turning some people off when they see that...

I'm a subscriber and I pay no where near what it says on their website... you just have to negotiate with them.

We got the 3 month introductory freebie thing when we bought a new car. When that expired I called up and said I want it, but not for the price they were charging. Talked them into 6 months for $60 bucks for vehicle + internet streaming. After that was up and they tried to get me onto a more expensive plan, I called em back.

I wanted a full year subscription of their all access package for $120... they came down to something like $135 for the year, so I took it. Still very happy with it at that price.

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I have to hand it to Jason for suggesting Tunein. It seems to work pretty flawlessly and I can choose from just about any kind of music depending on my mood. Listening to a little Bluegrass right now which I like occasionally.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm eventually going to look for some slightly better speakers probably but for now it's working well.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TuneIn, that's what I use on a retired Motorolar RAZR with it's docking station. In addition, to enable the FM function, I use a patch cable (serves as the antenna) to a Bluetooth speaker box.

It's a little dusty 'cause I use it in the garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great to hear John, and glad it's working out well.