Home theater audio question | FerrariChat

Home theater audio question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Daryl, Apr 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Maybe some of you audio geeks can help me out here. I have a surround sound audio system (Sony) paired with my HD TV and cable system. Recently I've started having trouble with the voice (center) channel. For example, I'll be watching an F1 race and the dialog between Matchet, Hobbs and Diffey will start to fade away. Over a period of 30 seconds or so it will disappear entirely. The rest of the audio (cars, background track sounds, etc) stays unchanged. The only way to get the voice channel back is to start increasing the volume. At some point (after the volume is uncomfortably high) the voice channel pops back in and I can then back the volume down to the correct level. The tuner is not that old, as I got it at the same time I purchased my HDTV. I'm about ready to trash the whole thing and replace it. Any ideas?

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The most common problem with AV receivers seems to be faults in the HDMI switching board. You might try swapping to another HDMI input on the receiver to see if that helps.

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And that's bad?

Seriously I agree the hdmi board may be having issues.

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Speak with Rod @ Simply Stereo in Hoffman Est. on Higgins.
    Don't let the look of the store put you off, Rod is a home theater expert and great to do business with.

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    With all the technological advancement in home entertainment... .I'm kinda amazed that A/V receivers haven't progressed much at at all.

6. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Run another source material (blue ray or CD) through the HDMI input that had the fade issue. If the problem is in the receiver in that HDMI input, it should repeat the problem with another source. If it doesn't then it is not the receiver, but a signal processing lapse with the cable/satellite provider, IMHO.

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Happened to me on a Bose system. It was the hdmi cable in my case.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I just had my first Bose glitch after 4 years. Turned it off and on an few times and it popped back on.