Is there such a thing as a laptop that doesn't need to be replaced every few years... | FerrariChat

Is there such a thing as a laptop that doesn't need to be replaced every few years...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kizdan, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

My Lenovo has started acting up, 1st it was just minor annoyances like the screen losing it's ability to be adjusted for brightness. Recently, I am now having issues with my wireless network adapter, where it can take a half hour before I am looking at a webpage. This morning, it just decided not to boot up at all. I start it, the screen that says Lenovo on it comes on, and stays on. It took all of my strength to not throw it out of my window.

I am so tired of having to replace a laptop every few years. Is this normal???

Can anyone recommend a brand/model that will actually last a while without all of the minute BS issues? No, I don't want an Apple.......

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have had probably 6 different laptops in the past 10 years and have come to the conclusion that it is better to buy newer and cheaper more frequently than buying loaded up expensive hoping it lasts because they never seem to. I had my latest dell get stuck in a rebooting loop and went out and bought a surface pro 4 while it was being fixed and never went back to the Dell when I got it back.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Apple Macbook Pro. I used a 2004 model until 2010. And, I'm still on the 2010 model. I just (inexpensively) upgraded to a solid state drive and upgraded the memory. Working very nicely.

Apple's not inexpensive, but it lasts longer, so, amortized, I think the total cost of ownership is lower.

CW

Makuono likes this.
  4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I never got onboard the Apple train.

I just ordered a new Asus, hopefully this one can last a little longer. At least prices have come way down.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yes... Mac.

Spend the money, well worth it. We got >10 years out of our iMac...

Kids have dropped their laptops with no issues...

Customer support is awesome... They will stay on the phone for an hour, helping you reboot your entire system if you have ONE apple product....

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    To answer the original question...

Nope.

Laptops are now built to be disposable, just like cellphones.

Don't expect the Apple reliability going forward. They are now soldering *literally everything* to the motherboard now. One RAM stick goes bad? Too bad, gotta replace the whole damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've probably been through a dozen and change laptops in my career, and my wife (who refuses to buy her own) uses my laptops frequently, and she can blue screen just about any computer in minutes! ;)

Based on that, my MacBook Air (11 in) has lasted the longest among the machines I have owned. My current is still chugging after 5+ years.

Since you indicated no Apples, we have had second best luck with a Dell laptop since the wife does not like the quirkiness of Apple products. We tried the "buy cheap and replace often" approach with an ACER and a Toshiba - but in the long run, that did not work out for us. Dell has, however, proven to be reliable.

T

8. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it's the technology that is driving the obsolescence... hardware and software development necessitates that we replace / upgrade our computers... slow down development, it will make your computer last longer :=) for the average user there is no need or reason to buy the latest and greatest, wait a bit, the current hot machine will be on a close out sale, making it the best value...

9. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    My HP laptop lasted me about 6.5 years. I replaced it with an MSI Gaming laptop for $2k - I hoping it lasts me 5+ years... (P.S. I'm not a gamer, but this think rocks!)

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm a Dell guy. Buy their mid priced stuff, usually between $800-1000 and run them 24/7 until they annoy me with their lack of speed vs. newer models. I've never (knock on wood) had one completely crap out.

I have had to replace the occasional screen or keyboard due to unfortunate cat incidents, one sat on my laptop when I'd left a pen sandwiched in it and killed the screen, and another plucked about half the keys off the keyboard in an afternoon of boredom, I suspect. But I've never (KNOCK AGAIN ON WOOD) replaced one due to catastrophic failure of a hard drive or motherboard.

On my 4th or 5th, last two were Inspiron, one before that an XPS. Probably 3 years per machine. Just bought a new one last month.

They're just as disposable as phones, and cost about the same. I think 3 years iss about all one should expect. I don't buy the high end stuff.

D

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had a dell laptop for 6+ years that still works, albeit really really slow these days.

My current laptop is a Samsung Series 9 that I bought in 2012 and still works well.

I'm thinking of upgrading at the end of the year. Not sure what though.

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There's your problem - get on the train. Know how many people I see daily at every coffee shop using older MacBook laptops (when they had optical drives!)? A lot.

Good luck with that. Ordered two Asus VR ready laptops. Sent both back because they couldnt support multiple USB devices (even when using AC adapter) at same time. This was in January.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Bought my HP 510 in 2007,its been around the world multiple times in my flight bag,even managed to drop it off a 4ft high table onto a marble floor a few years ago. it was the best budget buy in those days about US$ 350.

I am still running the original XP which is also working just fine!

I keep thinking of buying a new one but what to buy,also not an Apple fan....

14. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Dell Latitude Series. I love these.

15. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    XP Service Pack 3 is solid. There is still support for XP, but it's on the way-way-down-low with Microsnot. You have to pry hard to get it. Firefox is now dumping support for XP, except for their extended support label browser.

as a suggestion

If you have a good XP era machine and want to have it run a bit smoother and more secure, consider Zorin 8, which is a Linux based OS that was made for those who want the exact feel of Windows XP. Though it's pure, 100% Linux.

Zorin OS is an operating system to consider if you are through with Microsnot and Apple is not on the radar. It's built to be usable by Windows user who are more familiar with Windows-like operations, without getting lost in the Linux commands and operations. Have Windows programs? Not a problem with Linux, "Wine"/"Wine Tricks" allows you to run your Windows programs on Linux.
    Most virus' and malware are written for Windows which makes Linux secure in contrast. Zorin already has secure features built-in.

16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My daughter got one of those for personal use after using one at her work. The Latitude line seems to be better engineered for business use than the typical offerings at a BestBuy type retailer.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have a Dell Inspiron from 2003 that still works. I bought another Dell in 2009 and it lasted over 4 years until I tried to take it apart to get the dust out and accidentally broke off some soldered parts and it wouldn't turn on.

After that I went the cheap route with a Lenono and Asus and both barely lasted over a year. Now I'm back with an Inspiron and it's been working well. Has an i7 and SSD for less than $700.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have been using a HP Envy since 2012 daily. Work, netflix, internet, photos and even some gaming.

Still going strong. Cost me $650 back then.

I5, 8gb ddr, 700 gb hd..

Before that i had a Dell Inspiron for 5 years before windows just crashed (not hardware then) and i just got lazy and bought the HP.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

20. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I'll 2nd the MacBook Pro.
    We run our Software on VMs (Virtual Machines) using VMWare to ease the different versions of S7Tech and or Starter, FactoryTalk, etc.
    I bought one of my New Programmers a brand New ASUS Republic of Gamers Laptop. Top spec laptop. My Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with just 8 gig and the MacBook runs everything faster than the brand new ASUS (we both have SSD upgrades.
    Several of my guys want to switch to a MacBook when their current laptop needs to be retired.
    Windows seems to get slower and slower the longer you have the laptop...

21. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Lenovo!

I had an IBM Laptop for about 15 years. It still works 20 years later, but after 15 years it was just getting a little... outdated. I was so impressed that I bought another Lenovo PC 5 years ago.

Works like a champ, trouble free for 5 years. But the kicker is, what happened LAST year.

you see, my daughter, the helpful chap she is, decided to carry out my briefcase as I was leaving to work. On this day I was going to drive my F350 Quad Cab Diesel... which comes in rought around 7,400 lbs...

I did not know she was "helping me", and I drive straight over the briefcase, destroying the briefcase and going right over the laptop.

I had a tiny crack in the magnesium body, but been using it like a rock star for the last 2 years.... That means 5 years and an F350 later, and its still running like a champ.

They are cheaper than macs too.

I went ahead and bought my wife and my mother Lenovos too. My mother's is about 10 years old. Given that she's well into her 80s, I can't say its used heavily. My wife's is about 5 years old and going strong, so as far as I can see we are 4 for 4. Thats a pretty good batting average.

But yes, if you go buy a $200 HP. you'll pay the price by it lasting about 2.2 years.

Same would be true if you bought a budget lenovo. Stick with the Thinkpads. They start about $400 and are well worth it.

I'm a college professor, so lots of my students have different PCs. It seems like the HPs, Acers, etc. don't even make it through 4 years of college. Dell seems ok IF you buy their business line and not their personal line (lenovo may be similar... I always buy the business lines. I don't think I'd go buy an ideapad...) Surface Pros seem ok but I've seen some people with battery issues.

I used to love Asus, but they seem hit or miss.

22. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    I've had good experiences with Dell's the business ones, have a bunch of them they all still work, the oldest one I got new in 1999 and still works it fell and the screen besel is loose but taped it and still does its thing. The latest one I have I got it used for $130 is an E6420 which I turned into a Hackintosh rock solid and have dual boot Mavericks/Sierra and VMware for the MS stuff.

23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My laptop is about 7 years old now. Worked well enough but now will not start up at all. You can barely hear the fan run at all. So, it is time to suck it up and replace the thing, but I have no idea what to look for at this point.

What are the good brands and processors these days? I don't use it much except for surfing the internet, photoshop, itunes, etc..

24. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I bought a brand new Assus to use just for my Navy duties. What a POS! Never again!

25. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    So I've read all these responses and I don't think you are any further ahead. Still confused? I know I would be. The best advise I can give you is, next time you are looking, think about what you want to use it for. Get the most RAM (memory) and quickest CPU within your budget. Then, and this is the important part, get good antivirus software. I'd bet your problem is with all the **** that gets downloaded. I'll bet your lap top is so clogged with adware, malware, **** the manufacturer pre-loaded it can't keep up. There is software you can run against your lap top to see how clogged up it is (e.g HijackThis and it has nothing to do with the laptop manufacturer). Caution though, just like getting into the internals of your F car this gets technical. And also, stay away from the zealots Mac Vs PC. haha. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Any one tells you to by a Mac and you problems will be over is full of **** (same PC).

Did I help. Probably not. But I have 2, 10 year old Dell Inspiron's that run like **** through a goose. Of course one runs Ubuntu. I wish I had your laptop, I'd fix that phucker.

Lotaz likes this.