Facebook is reading my Google searches and showing my wife related ads on her iPhone! | FerrariChat

Facebook is reading my Google searches and showing my wife related ads on her iPhone!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Alpintourer, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    How did this happen and how can I stop it?

Once upon a time my wife logged into her Facebook account on my Apple laptop. I don't do Facebook; did briefly about 10 years ago. Today I did a Google search for my dad on "bone broth" on my MacBook and this evening my wife gets a "suggested post" ie: Advertisement, for "bone broth" on her iPhone as she was logged into her Facebook account.

She got a friend requests from an old British chap I knew years ago (via Gmail). No way she had any contact with him electronically. I never use her Gmail account on my laptop.

This is freaky; I need to shut this down. Any thoughts?

2. boneislpilot

boneislpilot Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I agree it's out of control. I deleted my FB account a while ago because I noticed the same type of things. My wife is on Snapchat, instgram and whatsup. I told her to be careful what she posts because she could easily get robbed in the driveway. A lot of these apps will post your home location if you're not careful. Not a great idea.

I miss the days when if you weren't at home or work to answer the phone you were out of touch.

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Brace yourself for more of this as the Internet privacy regulations are recinded.

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I had to keep clearing out the computer history/cookies when shopping for a surprise vacation trip for this very reason- so my wife didn't see pop-ups!

I signed up for facebook about 6-7 years ago, posted 1-2 times and realized I wasn't interested in any of it and haven't been back on. Ferrarichat is a different story :)

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Quit searching with Google, for starters use
    https://www.ixquick.com/
    instead.

As said above, keep clearing your cookies.

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This will not end well for many marriages if searches pop up on each others phones. I have enough of an issue getting bombarded with target marketing on my own device after a search. I bough some stuff from Home Depot and lowes at least 6 months ago and get pop ups from both daily while online and I have cleared cookies but doesn't seem to matter. Very annoying.

7. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Unlink your google accounts.

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #8 SPEEDCORE, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    So you quit using google by using a site that uses google?? :confused: That site is from The Netherlands which is part of Nine Eyes and they have servers in the USA which gives you zero protection from FBI warrants with gag orders. They used to be ok at the start but now they merged with startpage you should stop using them.

Browsers have fingerprints and websites can profile you from that info, they don't need to track you with ip/cookies. Here are some of the identifiers your browser sends: what addons you have installed, system fonts, time zone, language, platform, user agent, screen resolution etc etc.

You can test here https://panopticlick.eff.org/ click on Show full results for fingerprinting results.

Since 2015 WebRTC can leak your real IP even if you use a VPN. Safari/Ios doesn't have WebRTC support. You can't disable it in Chrome. You can disable it in Firefox.

Test here https://browserleaks.com/webrtc check the menu for other tests like flash, webgl, sliverlight, java etc.

Disabling javascript stops a lot of the tracking but of course that will break a lot of websites. Having an addon like Noscript can help.

If you're only concern is targeted ads, just use an adblocker. uBlock Origin is probably the best one.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  10. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Run FB from the browser (chrome) in incognito mode less chance of google grabbing stuff, better off don't use FB truth is never there anyway ;-)

11. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Thanks, the depth of knowledge here is incredible. I could never begin to understand the "darker" side of the web. I also suspect eBay as another source of cross info. Some of my searching there also popped up on my wife's phone. Good thing we have been married 42 years and know each other pretty well.

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I do not use facebook and I am i the Biz. you have no idea of what they do!
    this is a worry of mine and there is no stopping it. in one click someone can bring all info relevant to a given user name, email, or other useful token. thnaks to new logging technique such as Sumologic and others.
    for any shopping or search, use Tor.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    FYI about ultrasound cross-device tracking (uXDT), "Tor users at risk of being unmasked by ultrasound tracking".

"A new type of attack should make Tor users – and countless dogs around the world – prick up their ears. The attack, revealed at BlackHat Europe in November and at the 33rd Chaos Computer Congress the following month, uses ultrasounds to track users, even if they are communicating over anonymous networks."

Also about uXDT:

Ultrasound Tracking Could Be Used to Deanonymize Tor Users

"Ultrasounds emitted by ads or JavaScript code hidden on a page accessed through the Tor Browser can deanonymize Tor users by making nearby phones or computers send identity beacons back to advertisers, data which contains sensitive information that state-sponsored actors can easily obtain via a subpoena."

Android Apps with Ultrasonic Beacons Track People's Daily Habits

“This side channel allows an adversary to identify a user’s current location, spy on her TV viewing habits or link together her different mobile devices,” the authors explained. “We spot ultrasonic beacons in various web media content and detect signals in four of 35 stores in two European cities that are used for location tracking…[and] we spot 234 Android applications that are constantly listening for ultrasonic beacons in the background without the user’s knowledge.”

Hundreds of Android Apps Track Users Through Ultrasound Beacons

"Ultrasound cross-device tracking – or uXDT – has become a popular tool among advertisers looking to track users as they switch between devices. In most cases, the ultrasound beacon is embedded within advertisements. Once the ad plays on traditional or online platforms, it emits an ultrasound picked up by the microphone of nearby electronic gadgets. Laptops, computers, mobile devices, and tablets can all pick up this sound."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilverPush

14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Seems like uXDT might come under FCC subliminal advertising guidelines since the user (recipient) is unaware they are receiving it. A quick overview:

Laws on Subliminal Marketing | Chron.com

Quite a crafty new tracking technique. I'll get ear muffs for my Beagle.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Or toggle Airplane Mode to ON (shuts off all communications e.g. wireless, cellular, Bluetooth, etc.). Smartphones take too long to boot up, which discourages one to turn it off altogether.

16. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yeah. this is non sense technology. i use my phone as a phone and avoid anything private and ceertainyl dont do any search on it. The phone is the worst thing to do your business on.
    I was thinking of Tor on Laptop. but even with that some sites block you as they want to get your personal info.

The problem is that technology by creative guys is going at light speed and laws by old lawyers who dont have a clue is crawling to a stand still. In a few years the phone will allow store to check your path in a store, they'll know who your are and will probably price things (smart price tag) based on who you are. this goes on already on the net based on where you live.
    You will also hear voices personalized to you telling you that on your left at aisle 4 there is the same crap you bought last years at 20% discount.
    This is coming. The technology, big data, smart sensors,and ultra marketing combines with the lack of good privacy laws allows conglomerate to track you like a dog.

As usual, the incitement will occur thru form of great deals and then it will be a requirement to be trackable.
    Also remember that the new generation of kids now in their 20 belong to the sharing generation. They shared their email account, their belonging. Facebook is all about sharing.
    Trojan horse marketing has always worked. think of it as yur body from hell giving you free cocaine for a few months..

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Just discovered a neat little thing called Pi-Hole for your home network. You install the code on a Raspberry Pi (or a Linux box or Linux VM) and the Pi becomes the DNS server on your network. You set your router to use the address assigned to the Pi for DNS requests and every device on your network then uses it. Tablets, phones, even your smart tv will be protected from ads. You know, the devices that can't run an ad-blocker? lol.
    Pi-Hole even stops most of the sites that detect things like ad blocker plus.
    Been testing for only a few days but so far so good and internet speed is up.

18. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    #18 fedcoin, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keeping your webcam covered with a clip isn't enough. The entire PC monitor screen is a reverse camera lens capturing the reflection of the room.

Also the reflection on your television screen can be easily transmitted/recorded.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Entire"? Do you have a reference to support that? Sounds like science fiction to me.

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Facebook is reading my SMS text messages. My best friend mentioned a family entertainment venue I'd never heard of, in a different city, and I responded with the business name in my return text. 30 minutes later, a Facebook ad for the same venue appeared at the top of my feed.

Ugh. I'm not surprised by this, but it is a reminder that nothing is private if you opt into using FB, Google, et al. I get it but I don't like it but I won't modify my choice to use their services.

Actually I'd be less bothered by it if there was a time delay of 36 hours before showing me that ad, giving me the illusion that it could have been random.

21. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Was searching up a specific college cornhole board on my laptop an hour ago and my wife who is out picking up the kids said she got a pop up ad on her facebook in the car from the place and with the same college I was searching. I do not have a facebook account and my computer has nothing to do with my wife and she has never used it. My iPhone is even on a separate account from hers and the kids just to avoid this stuff. Where is the connection coming from? The only thing I can think of is we are on the same wifi but she isn't even home. This pisses me off.

22. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    My wife logged into her Facebook account from my laptop once. I think it raided my address book too.

Still can't figure out how to stop this. I unlinked us but to no avail.

Facebook is EVIL!

23. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #23 davidoloan, May 31, 2017
  24. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #24 davidoloan, May 31, 2017
  25. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    After I turned the ad blocking and tracker blocking off on the New York Times for one minute the number of trackers increased from 6 to 53.