How to run wires from solar panels through house? | FerrariChat

How to run wires from solar panels through house?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by arachnyd, May 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    This seems like a dumb question.

I've done plenty of electrical work. I've run conduit, lighting, I've connected breaker boxes. I've wired 72 volt electrical vehicles, and even wired my own circuit boards.

Now I'm adding solar panels to my shed off the roof.

I get how to connect them to my roof. I get how to connect them inside. What I can't find with any amount of googling is how to run the wires FROM the roof TO the inside.

Any help?

When you put solar panels on the ground. conduit makes sense... but if you run an open conduit piece from the roof, your going to fill the inside of your building with water....

Outdoor electrical devices typically have a way to connect directly to conduit, including out door lights, outdoor motors, etc. but the solar panels just have two wires coming from random places.

So then I think you just run the bare wires the 2 feet or so until you get it inside, but the million dollar question is: How do you get them inside? Drilling a hole and caulking it doesn't sound "up to code" even though thats what you often do with low voltage wire.

I'm in the US of A, but I'd be interested in hearing how someone would do that from anywhere.

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Service drop with drip loop?

3. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I'm sure 90% of the people that read this would think "duh" but I didn't know service masts existed. I guess thats what happens when you've had underground utilities at every house you've ever lived in.

So yes, I'm going to pick up a service mast with a drip loop...

Thanks for your help!

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Glad I could help! Should be a cheap & easy solution. :)

5. jahock

jahock Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    This question might not directly apply to the one asked previously but...We are getting ready to build a house and plan to grid-tie. We want to put the panels on the shed and run them to the house. (We have looked and looked for integrated metal/solar roof panels with no luck. The one company I found that advertises them has stopped selling them. And Tesla tiles will not be available in time for our build.) We will be hiring a professional to do the installation and I am also working with our local renewable energy club to get advice. I get installing panels on shed, service box into roof and then am assuming running an underground conduit to the house. Is this correct? Other considerations:
    The shed will be a simple steel beam/metal sheathing pole barn. Open on one side. No insulation. Will plan to orient and hopefully choose a pitch to get best sun.
    Assuming the meter for grid will be at the shed? Should the shed be closer to the grid than the house? Other than extra cost to run conduit/line, is there anything wrong with placing the shed behind the house (further from grid drop)?