Can anything be done about caller ID spoofing? | FerrariChat

Can anything be done about caller ID spoofing?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by the_stig, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    So I hate telemarketers with a passion. I would NEVER engage with ANY company or organization that cold-called me for any reason.
    Over the years I've developed the habit of not answering any calls from out of state numbers that aren't in my contacts list.
    Seems the telemarketers have raised their game. Quite recently I've started getting a lot of calls from my home area code - often from my home exchange as well. I prefer to answer local calls but I'm rapidly re-thinking that.
    I should mention that I no longer have a land-line. My old land-line number was ported to Google Voice and forwards to my cellphone.
    Any solutions out there besides just keep adding them to my block list?

Side note: I recently found myself in conversation with a guy who starts telling me about his business and it turns out he's a telemarketer and has a setup where each computer has 50 VOIP lines and functions as a bank of modems. Ended the conversation as I was struggling with an urge to rip his head off.

2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    One of the benefits of voice-mail and caller ID:

I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number.
    If it's important, they'll leave a message. And a callback number....

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Robocallers leave messages as well.

But if you have an Android phone, try the Truecaller app to optimize the callerID system.

https://www.truecaller.com/

It's like Waze, but for calls and texts instead.

One drawback, robocall spammers are starting to use zeroday phone number listings to spoof their ID, so Truecaller may not have info on those right away.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lately I'd had robos and scammers spoofing with a live/active number whereas previously they used inactive ones. For example, this morning I received a call from an associate at the Kennedy Space Center (where I work. no ID name, just the number) but it turned out to be one of those Vehicle Warranty scammers.

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes and that's my fear with blocking local numbers - if it is a live number and it's a secondary line for one of my doctors or something - I know, I know, if it is important they'll leave a message. Trust me, anyone not in my contacts who calls and just hangs up is permanently blocked.

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've not looked at Truecaller - but what I know about the other major caller ID apps makes me very leery. All of the ones that I have looked at you give up all of your contacts to them.
    One of the caller ID apps was bought out by Whitepages<dot>com. Unfortunately there is no getting across to friends and family that they are giving up YOUR information along with their own when they use these apps.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good point. Truecaller didn't parse your contacts list in the past. But no telling what they and others are doing now. Especially since the intent of all apps is to data mine and then sell it to others. Or to sell the whole app and everything with it.

This whole sales MO about selling "leads" is pointless and antiquated. I wish they're get over it.

Anyway, here are the privacy settings for Truecaller.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJHMH likes this.
  9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nothing you can do - it's a fairly common problem.

I'm getting these too, have been over a year from an energy company that has already been fined by the US Government, but they won't stop. I just don't answer the phone anymore.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nowadays, I expect that all apps and all "service providers" are harvesting everything.

For Truecaller, it quit working in real-time when my Windows phone upgraded to 8.1, plus I never signed up with them, or anyone else other than MS (for the OS) for that matter.

I learned when a friend installed iTunes on her phone; it harvested and took ownership of every MP3/4 she had and uploaded it to their cloud... before she even realized what was happening.

11. rlrskdr

rlrskdr Rookie

Sep 2, 2009
    Monterey, California
    I use a hand held boat horn from West Marine.. They don't call back.

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Ineffective against the recorded or robotic callers that make up 90% of the calls I get - not to mention disruptive to office or household.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've hooked up a fax machine. Doesn't stop 'em.

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It just gets worse and worse. I no longer answer the phone unless it is someone in my contact list, and I block every number that isn't. The list is getting really long!

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Soon Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, and Cortana will do exactly that.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's nearly impossible to do when you're trying to start a small business. :(

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Or even run an existing one! The way I look at it the telephone has basically been ruined as communications instrument as any thinking person no longer answers any call from anyone he doesn't already have as a contact.

As mentioned above my block list just keeps growing, I've several times had to purge the one on my cell since, stupidly, there is a 100 number limit. Every call to my Google Voice number that doesn't leave a legitimate message gets blocked - which causes Google to add it to their spam list - which means that number doesn't ring for other people anymore either. (no, I'm not saying one person blocking causes automatic spam listing, I don't know where the threshold is)

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well said!

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Unfortunately, blocking numbers isn't the best strategy anymore. The autodialers often use random numbers to hide behind and rarely ever re-use them.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This is what I have found. I don't answer my phone. I just assume any caller who doesn't leave a message to be someone I don't want to talk to.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We should have the death penalty for anybody who buys something from these *******s.

24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    A bit extreme perhaps but where I get stuck is that I have to believe that between the telecoms, the backbone owners and the dreaded government something can be done. I have to believe that there is no incentive for them to do anything and that's why we are where we are.