A Little Help, Please... Future Son-In-Law Needs To Buy A Pick-up Truck | FerrariChat

A Little Help, Please... Future Son-In-Law Needs To Buy A Pick-up Truck

Discussion in 'Texas' started by mseals, Nov 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    My daughter and future son-in-law moved to Dallas a few months ago, and (thankfully) both have gotten jobs and are doing well.

My son-in-law-to-be is currently driving my Cadillac Sedan deVille while they were getting their feet on the ground, and needs to get a pick-up as a daily driver.

He has, I'm told, $8K cash to spend, but being new in the area, really doesn't know where to go. And, they're both young and would very likely get screwed on any deal.

If anyone has a line on a $8-$9K truck in decent shape, I would appreciate a head's up.

Please feel free to send me a PM, or if more convenient, post here. I'll subscribe to the thread so I get notifications.

Obviously, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I weren't 8,000 miles away, it would be a great chance for me to spend time with him before they get married. Unfortunately, that's not possible.

Thanks in advance. I do appreciate it.

Mike

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It's not hard to find a pickup in Texas, they're EVERYWHERE! I bought my old beater off of Craigslist 6 years ago and it's been great.

I'd suggest watching Carmax, they move a lot of cars and are priced competitively. I sold them a car on Wednesday and it was a very smooth transaction.

3. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks, Jim... I'll start looking there and see if I can make some suggestions.

Mike

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You have PM sir!

S

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    See Digman52....that's what I would do.

He might have some, in the fleet in the yard...jus' sayin'!!!

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I would also recommend the CarMax website for stuff in their price range that you can feel comfortable sending them to. No personal experience, just reputation. (Edit: I was just looking at their website, maybe not so much under their budget.)

Jim, did you sell off the white car? Wait. I better be more specific when talking to Jim. I meant your daily.

7. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I'll send him a note... thanks, Alan.

I'll take a look... thanks, Dave.

Mike

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks for the thought Alan. We make our guys buy there own these days, and pay them truck rent each month.

Looks like Steve may have something in mind, but you might contact Jonathan at dallasmotorsports.com. He hears about a lot of different vehicles.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, that's excellent Fleet Management!!

My company does the same.....I just thought you might have a relationship with a local dealer.....

I am trying to calculate what newer Ferrari I can buy, with my mileage expense money....

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It got put out to pasture the day before Thanksgiving. It was way past time. Its replacement is also white. I don't plan it that way, really.

Back on topic: if they want to put that $8k as a down payment, leftover 2016 trucks are available at firesale prices. Fords, Chevys, GMC - take your pick. A sample:

New Ford Inventory in Richardson | New Edge, Escape, Explorer, F-150, Mustang Dealer | North Central Ford Serving Dallas & Arlington TX

11. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Actually, the $8K is the full amount the have to spend. Not a down payment.

They're a couple of kids just getting their feet on the ground.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    $8K at CarMax is a tough price point. $12K is about the lowest thing in their inventory for a PU and that is for something like a Ford Ranger. For what it is worth about CarMax, last month I was in the market for a late model Highlander for my wife and I found their cars to be comparable to models at Toyota dealers. Given the CarMax no-haggle selling policy, I would estimate their prices to be about 10% higher than other independent dealers. The salesman was very professional and their show room/lot was first rate.

I suggest the kids look thru cars.com and iSeeCars.com (gives a history of how long a car has been for sale and traces VIN sales history). Many dealers now offer free CarFaxes and this can be used to avoid rustbelt auction and wrecked vehicles.

The kids may also need to consider altering their search criteria for something like a Camary or Accord if the PU route fails to result in something suitable. Hope this helps.

13. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals

Thanks,

I'll be talking to them in the next day or. And, I might offer a little boost their budget although they really want to do this in their own.

And, I have to respect that.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Mike, I PM'd you.

Josh

15. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks guys... looks like Josh has a truck he is looking to sell that might work out just fine.

I appreciate all the PMs and support... you know who you are! :D

Mike