BBQ Tour help request | FerrariChat

BBQ Tour help request

Discussion in 'Texas' started by arizonaitalian, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Howdy,

This has been on my bucket list for a long time. I realized I have nothing important on the calendar next week and just booked a mileage flight and points room and car...so free trip to Texas. There is tons of great info on the web, so I read all of that first and crafted this tentative plan. Now turning to my f-chat brethren for firsthand advice and help!

Wednesday (Day 1) in Austin then to the Hill Country = Franklin + Opie’s (Spicewood) + Coopers (llano)

Thursday (Day 2) in Austin = La Barbeque + Micklethewaite + Kerlin + Freedmans (evening)

Friday (Day 3) to Lockhart = Kreuz + Black’s + Smitty’s + Lamberts (evening)

Saturday (Day 4) Eastside = Snow’s (Lexington) + Louie Muellers (Taylor) + Zimmerhanzel’s (Smithville)

Questions:

- Any joints on here that you would skip?
    - Any joints in the Austin + 100 mile range you would add here?
    - Is this doable in terms of time per day?
    - Is this doable in terms of BBQ in my stomach per day or overall in four days?*
    - Anything else?

*I'll try to order sensibly to "taste" at each place, but it is unknown how disciplined I'll be.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

All those places are great. Been to almost all of them. Some semi-random thoughts...

Snows - get there EARLY. They're only open on Saturday. Live forms early.

Some nice driving roads; splurge and upgrade to a sexier car? Or, for a true Texas experience, rent a pickup truck!

I'd limit myself to three places per day.

If you're traveling with someone, each order something different.

Don't fill up on sides.

Almost assuredly, you're going to waste a lot of time at Franklin's. So include that into your calculus.

Get the two most recent, 2008 and 2013, Texas Monthly BBQ issues, as they'll give you the scoop on what meats are best at each place.

Bring a little cooler for leftovers. Good Q tastes good reheated as a midnight snack. Better than stuffing yourself so you can't enjoy yourself later in the day.

If you want the best beef sausage links in the world, add Southside Market in Elgin. Ditch Zimmerhanzel's, even though I've heard their beats are very good it's a bit far away from the others.

This is Texas, so avoid any of the white meats: chicken, turkey, pork. However, if you do go to Llano, get the cabrito AKA young goat.

Take lots of pics and post here!

Fight the urge to slather your brisket with sauce, assuming they provide any.

At Opie's, if they have it, get the smoked prime rib. I think they only serve it on weekends.

On Friday, the forecast is for rain. Be careful, Texans drive like maniacs in the rain.

Safe travels!

T

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have not been to Coopers but some other locals have told me it is not that special. Freedmans has a great bar. If you love the esoteric and quality booze, they'll have it. Also not a big place so if there is a group order ahead so you can be sure to get what you want.

The cooler is a great idea. Give a report on La Barbeque. The name kind of put me off so have not been there. I'd like to know if I am missing something.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    If you are up in Waco, check out Mama & Papa B's BBQ

525 S 8th St, Waco, TX 76706

The place is a hole in the wall but it's great if not the best in town.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Day 3 looks like a great time to me! I ALWAYS make time for Kreuz Market if I'm anywhere near it. I've taken later flights out (and earlier ones in!) to be sure I had time. Get the brisket and the sausage.

6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Looks like an acceptable list to me.

Personally I'd skip Franklin all together--but that's me.

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Tomc - thanks for taking the time to help me! Your post could be online as a BBQ Tour resource. Thanks!!

Yup. I hate getting up early and loath waiting in line. Don’t do it for many things. But in order to eat at two of the contenders for “Best BBQ” a man has gotta do what a man has gotta do.
    Agree (the evening place is more just to hang out with (hopefully music))
    Roger that.
    Thanks, Done.
    Yup, first stop is a Walmart to get a chair (for waiting in line) and a cooler
    Yeah, its out there. But I’m flying out of Houston that night, so gotta drive right by there anyways.
    Thanks for the warning. I’ve had some practice with Arizonan’s that rarely see rain and are somewhat unsure what to do when the sky cries.
    Will do.

8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I was going to skip Coopers, but then I have that whole afternoon and evening after finishing up at Opie's...so, I figured its a good excuse to drive in the Hill Country some more.

Re La Barbeque - she is the grand-daughter iirc of Louie Mueller, so its supposed to be great. Her brother John seems to be quite a character. He has had (and lost) several places over the years...seems his latest is now closed by the government (for back taxes or something). it was on my list, had to cross it off...

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Not this trip...thanks for the suggestion for next time!

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Even if someone has never been and they are in Austin for a 4-day BBQ Tour? The line/wait is an obvious pain-in-the-ass, but then La Barbeque has a sizable line I'm told, and Snow's is only open on Saturday from 8am for a few hours and on and on. Getting the very best BBQ comes with a non-trivial hassle factor...so I figure the "arguably the very best" place is a must do (once).

OTOH, I completely understand if you are saying you went once (or more) and are now "done" with it. I've had similar reactions to going to several foodie places that are good, but not worth the hassle for a second, or third or more trip.

11. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I'd take La BBQ over Franklin 100x over. I've lived in Austin 20 years and Franklin is more hype/celebrity than not IMHO. 95% of the people in line are tourists not locals--sign #1.

Any who, go enjoy and check it off the list.

Look forward to your reviews.

Have fun!

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks guys, really appreciate all the feedback and advice. I'll start a thread on F-chat someplace (not sure if silver or food or Texas forum) after the trip.

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #13 arizonaitalian, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Oh that I believe! If I were local I'd feel the same way, no way would I go thru that hassle when great BBQ is all over the place without the nonsense of a line of tourists, etc.

For years we had a very similar phenomenon here in Phoenix - Pizzeria Bianco. The line started hours before he opened and people brought chairs and coolers. I never went and did that. Turns out he took 2 reservations per day for a group of 8. So I had my admin keep calling until she got us one of those. The pizza was amazing. Nowadays he is open longer hours and the buzz has finally worn off...so I've been many times. It's great. Not "wait in line" great (for me), but great.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

It's my pleasure. My wife and I have hit nearly every place still in business from the 2008 list and most of the 2013. We had a blast.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-top-50-bbq-joints-2008/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/

We cheated at Franklin's. Preordered a chilled brisket, took a day trip to drive down in the 911, then back up. Reheated. It was very good, not the best. Someone mentioned after that the secret is butter, which I can believe since it had an unusual flavor profile. The best brisket in the state, after my own , is Snow's per the missus. I think she may be right, but I like Mueller's by a small bit. Fatty side. But, I'd not worry about it, this is like arguing about the best Ferrari - even the "also rans" are spectacular!

Another option, rather than taste many smoked meats focus on brisket. No bbq place in Texas that I know of, made their rep about their smoked turkey. It's the quintessential Texas smoked meat, along with sausage. You can get wet/fatty or dry/lean. I like fatty, wife likes lean.

If you're ending up in Houston, if you are flying out of Bush, you can try Burns on the north side. Neighborhood is somewhat sketchy, so only go if it's day time. I believe I violated my beef-only rule there. Ribs are very good. Not Memphis good, but pretty dang good.

Once again, bon voyage!

T

15. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

After day two I'd hate to be a passenger in your car, your system will be a wreck.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Yes, yes it will! Which reminds me of another piece of advice. Bring some Pepto, chewable tablets.
    T

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL. Yes, Zantac is on the list. BYO Charmin will be packed as well. I think this thread has reached completion :)

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I don't know about completion, but it has reached "the end". Have a blast.
    T

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Let's talk about this a bit more. I think I can honestly say I've never had good brisket. Likely because I've never had it in Texas. I've basically stopped ordering it when I go to BBQ places on the west coast because it is invariably dry and chewy - or worse - mealy.

So I am going to focus on the brisket. In that regard, what is the difference with the "moist", "Fatty", "lean" sections and can I ask for one vs. another "type" when I order? I don't get why one would order the "lean" over "fatty" or "moist"?

I do love sausage, so I will get some of that at each place.

And, finally, *if* the place has a reputation built on beef ribs or even a pork chop (which place is that), I will get some of their specialty.

Oh, that reminds me. I can count the times I've had beef ribs on 1-2 fingers. I have had Baby back pork ribs many, many times and even attempt them myself at home. But the few times I tried beef ribs they were tough and chewy.

So, I'm really looking forward to the "alleluia" experience with brisket and beef ribs.

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Wednesday (Day 1) in Austin then to the Hill Country = Franklin + Opie’s (Spicewood) + Coopers (llano)

Thursday (Day 2) in Austin = La Barbeque + Micklethewaite + Kerlin + Freedmans (evening)

Friday (Day 3) to Lockhart = Kreuz + Black’s + Smitty’s + Lamberts (evening)

Saturday (Day 4) Eastside = Snow’s (Lexington) + Louie Muellers (Taylor) + Zimmerhanzel’s (Smithville)

Franklins - Overrated IMO , not worth the wait you will experience..
    Opie's - Moderate
    Coopers - Worth the drive in the Hill Country ( Be sure to take 1431 from ATX to Llano and include Lime Creek Road )

La Barbeque - Worth the wait ( Over Franklins )
    I have not experienced the others you listed for Day 2

Day 3 - Lockhart - The holy grail IMO .. you will enjoy each for their own personal flair...

Snow's , It took me 3 separate trips to actually experience their BBQ, and even then, I walked away wishing I had just gone to Lockhart... Though the Brisket is really good!
    Louie Muellers - Amazing!

if you ever get to the DFW area ( future BBQ tour - weekend ) you can Hit

Pecan Lodge
    Hard 8
    Cooper's BBQ ( Same as in Llano! )
    Lockhart's ( 2 locations! )
    Slow Bone
    Red Barn
    Peggy Sue's ( for the Burnt Ends )
    and
    Clark's , once they rebuild after the fire...

Enjoy your trip, if I wasn't committed to being in town, I would join you!

Like Tom, I have a small group that's committed to attending the top 10 of the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints each year... The best thing to ever happen was Texas Monthly holding a BBQ event in Austin each year, bringing ALL of the Top 50 to one location for one day of all things BBQ for 1 price!

Shoot me a PM, I may be able to send you some fun roads to drive in your quest as well!

S

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You should ask for half n half, that way the butcher will give you both. Several of the older places will even let you have a sample, then order which you like.

Beef Ribs, make sure you order One ( 1 ) at Black's when you are in Lockhart... you are either going to love it or hate it... though I don't know anyone who has hated it... LOL

S

p.s. Austin has Rudy's BBQ all over, you may put that in place of Franklin's... ( ducking )

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Steve'***** most of the answers.

Yeah, I apologize to the other 49 states, but if you've not had brisket here in Texas, you've most likely never had good brisket. Arthur Bryant's and Gate's in KC are the only two places that I'll make exceptions for.

Brisket has two portions, the flat & the deckle/point. The flat is dryer & leaner. The deckle is fattier and mister. Steve's suggestion of half and hall is the best. Then, you can decide if you have a pref for either cut. You will also see chopped or sliced. IMO, sliced is the only way to go. Burnt end is another option, but that's not really a Texas thing.

When the wife and I hit Mueller's, they offered samples. I tried the fatty bit. It was heaven. Sitting in that old building, walls black from the smoke. Stuffing my gob with that velvety, smoky meat. Nirvana.

Beef ribs are an acquired taste, and very hard to do correct. I have found the Texas Monthly guide to be reasonably accurate on what's good at the diff places. So, if you want to go off-brisket, then definitely follow their lead.

I don't know that I'd go so far as Rudy's, but the real magic of Texas BBQ is in the small towns of central Texas with their heavy Czech and German influence. Austin's now an overgrown college town full of politicos and overflowing with transplanted Californians. ;) Other great small town bbq meccas include Luling and Giddings.

I'll reiterate, if you're doing sausage, you MUST go to Southside Meat Market in Elgin.
    Bar none, best there is.

And, if your cardiologist allows you back after this journey, definitely hit up DFW. Q scene has definitely improved in the last decade in Big D.

And, finally, hit Steve up for driving road suggestions. I can personally attest to his acumen in choosing tasty tarmac for your driving pleasure!

T

23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #23 arizonaitalian, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Great advice gents, I can't thank you enough. Btw, I just got the following Email from La Barbeque after I ordered online for pickup (1/2 lb brisket, 1 link, 1 beef rib)...the excitement begins!!

"You are all set for the 15th, 10: 30 pick up is the earliest. *SKIP THE LINE!! Check in at the main trailer when you arrive. Please allow 10-15 minutes for us to prepare for order.

Cory E.
    la Barbecue
    www.labarbecue.com

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Now that I've freed up some time by avoiding a line/wait for La BBQ, I have added this to Day 2 afternoon.

Scary you mention this...I am seeing him tomorrow to check on my recently diagnosed HBP...on meds, so all good at the moment...I'm going to try to be careful with the links in particular, but I imagine its all pretty salty. Might have to take two pills per day while in Texas, what could it hurt? joking ;-)

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My hotel room fridge is going to have $200 worth off BBQ in it by day 3 (I hope - otherwise I ate it all). I may have to use the "pour salt all over half" of each order so I am not tempted to over eat...I mean the ribs are 1.5lb I'm told (I realize its a big bone, but still) and I don't think I can bring myself to order less than 1 whole link and 1/2 lb of brisket. I will skip the sides (maybe not 100%, but gonna try).