Building a garage - advice needed | FerrariChat

Building a garage - advice needed

Discussion in 'Texas' started by tomc, Jan 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    After a many years battle with our local historic commission, the wife & I are ready to take up battle again to build a garage, given recent changes in local ordinances.

The plan is for it to be unattached, 3 car. Three doors - 2 8 ft high, one 12 ft high (for a truck, small RV, etc.). Cooled with something like a Mitsubishi split. Wood and hardie board construction. The future possibility of a 4 post lift in the 12 ft central bay would also be nice.

So, we've never built or even owned a house with a garage (one of the "joys" of owning and living in old houses!). If you have advice, it is most welcome!

If there are garage builder names that you can recommend, by all means, let me know. We live in the northern DFW suburbs.

Thank you...T

2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How high are your ceilings? High enough for a lift to double stack cars in all 3 bays? I made the mistake and didn't make my ceilings high enough

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    How high would you consider high enough? I may be building a garage also and want to make it high enough to put a car on the lift and go all the way up to be able to get an SUV underneath if need be.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good advice.

As of now, with the plan we had a design firm do for us a few years back, we are at roughly 9 - 10 ft ceiling above the 8 ft bays (so, I am guessing, likely not enough room) and about 12 - 13 ft ceiling above the 12 ft bay (again, am guessing, that would be enough for a double stack). I am assuming that I will lose at least a foot due to the garage door opener?!?

Given our historic district location there are limitations on what we can do in terms of overall height and pitch of the roof though, which are complicating factors. Also, to be honest, we now have 4 cars - and I do not think we can effectively exercise more than 4, only one of which is a DD, the others are weekend fun cars.

Thank you...T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There was a thread on Rennlist, and IIRC, 10 ft was a minimum for 2 sports cars, 12 ft was better. Again IIRC, the discussion was geared towards a 4-post lift (Bendpack?) and low profile sports cars, not SUVs.

If it helps, my wife's truck (Honda Ridgeline) is ca. 6 ft tall, and so if she ever lets me get the monster F-350 dually that I want, I think you'd be talking 7 or 8 ft high! Most sports cars are 4.5 ft high that I have seen.

T

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks Tom. I do not want to get the ceilings too high so that the garage does not over power the house. I am thinking 10 feet and then doing a cathedral ceiling inside so the sports cars on the lifts can go heigher. I did this in a previous garage and worked well.

7. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    One thing to keep in mind is that when calculating enough height for a lift, second car on the lift, garage door rails to open over the second car, etc. - this just gets you to the MINIMUM ceiling height you need.

At minimum ceiling height, most lifts will still require you to duck to get in and out of the ground level car which can be a challenge if you're tall, have a bad back or something like that.

My ceiling is at about 23' which is excessive but if you are able to go higher (given code and expense) I say do it.

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    The other thing to do is to go with a high lift garage garage door which generally adds an extra pannel and rail track. You can also back the cars in and put the lift far enough back so that the garage door goes over the front portion of the hood.

We did this in ours. A bit of a pain to back the cars on the lift and get them straight but it works.

Good luck.

Drew

9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Add to the high lift door track a side mounted opener.

That way there will be nothing running down the middle of the bay where you plan to lift the car.

I have a lift in my current garage with 9 foot ceilings. It isn't anywhere near adequate enough. I can get my Mondial on the lift, only with a very small car underneath (or vice versa). It's not possible to lift the Mondial with a normal car underneath.

The other things to think about:
    Adequate lighting -- Put ceiling florescent panels everywhere
    Power - Run extra circuits in the garage, that have nothing else on them.
    You might want to add a 220 circuit. Some tools/compressors/lifts can use 220
    Floor - Have the concrete painted or covered.
    If you are putting in a 2 post lift, make sure the floor concrete is thick enough.
    Insulation - all walls, doors, ceiling. Purchase insulated garage doors.
    This also helps cut down the noise tremendously. Keep neighbors happy
    Network (or Wifi) - Gotta be able to watch youtube how-to videos when in the throws of fixing something.

Here's some nice-to haves.
    Plumbing for a sink and toilet.
    Plumbing for a washer and dryer (keep the wife happy by never washing "garage" items in the house washer/dryer.

Personally, I wouldn't put windows on the garage doors. The extra light is nice, but it also invites unwanted persons to look in to see your nice cars and tools.

That's about it.

Sid

10. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    Good luck finding a builder... I moved into Lucas 4 months back into a new home and I have been looking for a building to do a garage here and I have struck out... So I hope you have better luck then I'm having... Most builders I talked to werent interested and the few that were were ridiculous non responsive to emails and phone calls after my initial communications. So just very poor builders I have had to deal with in my area...

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Same exact deal here in the northern burbs. Finding good service and contractor type people is a royal PITA.
    T

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks, Sid. Side mounted garage door opener is a great idea.

I'm with you on the no windows aspect. We live I a quiet neighborhood, but I don't want to make it easier for unwanted people to ingress /egress.

On the insulation, I've been reading up on Roxul.

Do I need to worry about concrete thickness for a 4 post lift? My reading suggests no.

Thanks for you advice!

T

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Run a gas line and 220 100 amp service...you will use both...

Finish the upstairs as storage... You will eventually need that too...

Bo