moving to dallas -- apartment advice | FerrariChat

moving to dallas -- apartment advice

Discussion in 'Texas' started by LongFerrari, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LongFerrari

LongFerrari Rookie

Mar 7, 2017
    Gentlemen,

I am a 458 owner and long-time Fchat lurker who will be living in Dallas temporarily for personal reasons. I would greatly appreciate some advice on a suitable rental building or apartment complex in Dallas for a Ferrari owner. Some important factors are safety of parking (ideally a private garage but possibly shared garage, depending), no crazy steep entrances/exits, and a general level of residents that I would not feel uncomfortable around given the possible attention drawn by the car. The other important factor to me is quiet, preferably as quiet as possible. Location is pretty flexible, commute is not an issue as I will be working from home most days. Cost isn't really a factor either although I don't want to do anything extreme like a penthouse. I would consider a house instead of an apartment but given my short term intentions it seems flexibility might make the apartment a better deal (though, I may change my mind on this). I am a single guy so no huge space needs.

Sorry if this is a weird question for a car forum but in my experience car guys have very different housing needs than your average person! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Any particular area of DFW you looking at?

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I haven't been in an apartment in decades. That being said, my thoughts went to a townhouse. There are a lot of them near my office, they're individually owned but I'm sure some are rentals. Here's the site to buy if you want to map it. All have attached 2 car garages.

https://www.ashtonwoods.com/dallas/avalon-square

There also a complex just North of it called Positano. Google maps should get you there. Both are in Irving. Not a hip area at all, but everything you need is nearby including DFW airport.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You might want to consider a specialty storage facility for your car. There are a couple in Houston, and I believe there are some in Dallas. I suspect any apartment complex with secured parking, i.e., a parking garage, will be very expensive. If you're just saying a short time, put your car in secure storage and then rent a normal apartment near where ever your will be working.

5. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #5 cockrill, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    There are many upscale apartment complexes in the North Dallas/Plano area that have private garages.

Here's one in North Dallas off of the Dallas North Tollway that I lived at for a couple of years: http://www.ranchopalisades.rentanapt.com/

Here's another one I lived in for a while in Plano off of Preston Road and Legacy Drive: Villas of Preston Creek Apartments in Plano, TX

It's been many years (over 15) since I lived in either one of those apartments, but I know that both have private garages and are in good areas.

I think that the biggest issue you are going to have is with a short-term lease. You may have to go the "Executive Stay" route. Executive Stay apartments/town-homes are usually furnished, include utilities, etc. They usually are a lot more expensive than regular apartments. Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with them in 20 years...

FYI, the "nicer" areas in Dallas are:

* Turtle Creek/Highland Park
    * Las Colinas
    * West Plano (Areas Near Dallas North Tollway)
    * Frisco (but limited apartments)

I'm sure others will chime in with additional desirable areas...

Good luck!

6. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Our daughter lived in an apartment for a couple of years that is located off of Hwy 121 between the Cheeksbarger and Glade exits. The apartment was pretty nice and the unit she had included a private two car garage with apartment entry from the garage. Access to everything you might need would probably be within 5-10 minutes, and getting to DFW airport would be 15-20 minutes tops.

7. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We rented for 3 months at The Caruth, on Caruth Haven at 75 / N. Central Expressway. We were remodeling a house we were moving in, and our 1 bedroom had an attached 1 car garage on the ground floor. You walked up a normal stairway to get to the main living area. We ended up knowing multiple people there, as several were moved out while remodeling, or just between homes. It is a little infamous in the Park Cities for being called The Penalty Box. for separated and or divorcing dads who wanted to stay close to the area.

We were on a month to month lease, and the location is really good for downtown Dallas, Northpark Shopping Center, grocery store right behind the apts, and walking to a bunch of restaurants. We had a great 3 months there, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Mostly above 35 year old crowd, and very few children. Dog friendly as well, from what we saw. Owned by Lincoln Property Group, longtime Dallas luxury apartment developers. If you want a younger crowd, cross 75 a few blocks, and their Village Apartments are what you want. Several of their new complexes have garages.

The Caruth | Apartments in Dallas, TX

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Depending on what part of DFW you are wanting to go you will get different answers.

Assuming Downtown / Uptown Area:

Glass House:
    Uptown Dallas Apartments for Rent | Glass House by Windsor

Azure:
    The Azure condos - Azure Condos of Dallas | 2900 McKinnon Street

The Ashton Uptown:
    Home - INSTRATA at The Ashton Uptown

The Plaza:
    The Plaza Condos - Luxury Dallas High-Rise Condos

There may have been more than one Ferrari sighted in / near / or around these suggestions.

There are several other options,

Gl with your move!

Steve

9. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Years ago I used to take care of a clients 360 who lived at the Azure and there garage set up was very nicely done, they even have a large dedicated wash/detail bay for there tenants. All underground parking hidden and tucked away with your own garage.

Josh