002C | Page 4 | FerrariChat

002C

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, I realize this, but it is not Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus as they did not start until the late 50s. It is also not Scuderia Ambrosiana, which was the predecessor of Sant'Ambroeus. I'm just wondering exactly WHAT badge/advertising logo it was. It very difficult to see, and I don't know of any round team badge like that in that time period...

2. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    Most probably the badge from the Temporada race series in Argentina, when it was raced in Buenos Aires.

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Love the color of the 275 GTS. Don't see many in this color nowadays.

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Would the MM nose just clip on? I think it might judging by the pics I took of 002C in the shop last year.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes. That's what I'm going to do. Keep the one I have and make another one with the MM grill. It unbolts very easily.

Best

6. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #81 Boudewijn, Jan 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks! That photo answers Dr. Stu's question.
    Best

8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    This car was in the nineties in the Netherlands for completion / restoration / mechanical. Hietbrink en Roelofs worked on this car (www.hietbrink.com)

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I think I read (in Forza?) that 002C underwent a complete restoration, so Jim, why are you taking the car apart now? Making it more authentic or just making sure it survives the roads of Sicily?

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMO any Vintage car that you're planning to drive at speed needs to be taken apart and inspected periodically. There are also a few details that we're correcting. All in all this one's in pretty good shape and we haven't come across anything too bad. Also by taking something apart you learn how it works and this is something I enjoy knowing.

11. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    #86 gtofreak, Jan 14, 2005
  12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Thanks. Never have seen that picture, or if I had, I didn't remember it.

I do not think the badge at the MM is the YPF badge, however. Note that there is a horizontal stripe running through the badge on the MM photo.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Sal found an original Ferrari 166 engine stand in the mud which we're restoring so he can take the engine apart. We've also borrowed a 166 cam chain indexing tool which we're copying before we remove the timing chains.
    So far so good.
    We've deceided to make a MM nose as well.
    We've finally gotten 0846's suspention square which was a task as the chassis is twisted and have machined her new wheels so they run true and don't rub the disks.
    We should have her gauges back from Modena next week properly calibrated.
    She and J6 will be ready for The Canadian International Auto Show in Feb.

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Jim:

Not to change subjects, but what did you end up doing on the brake lines on 0846?

Thanks,
    Erik

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I don't remember off the top of my head but Sal did sort it out. I think he went out to the mfg. and they made up some to the proper specs. I'll ask him and post some pictures. He was also able to source the proper stop light switch so that is under control. We also came up with a circuit to enable us to have a dash light glow if we're losing battery charge. (less than 12V) Remember we went to a bigger alternator to drive the cooling fans and it produces too many amps to run all of them through the original gauge. (50 amps) so it now only reads discharge when the ign. and cooling fans are on and can't read charge. If alternator stops charging and battery starts to dip light will now glow. Sal has gotten the FI to the pont where it will start without priming. It still takes a while until it gets warm enough to lean out mechanically enough to drive. You also have to do a bit of heel and toe blipping at traffic lights as when it's warm it doesn't like to idle at a setting that will allow you to hot start it if you stall. This spring we'll sort it all out.
    Best

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Cool. Glad Sal got most of it figured out. I think Sal was a better find than 0846. Tell him I said hi.

17. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Jim,

The June 1996 issue of Classic and Sportscar has a nice article on 002C along with some interesting history. Not sure how accurate it is but it is interesting! It's part of a 60 page Ferrari special. I can look for a scanner and scan it for you if you don't have it.

Incredible pix, by the way! I'd love to see it in person (along with 0846) sometime.

-steve

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    In the MM photo, it does appear that the badge has been taped over to hide the logo, but it's clearly not the same "YPF" badge shown in the Mar del Plata photo, as the Mar del Plata badge is much larger.

By the way, there are more photos of 002C at the Mille Miglia in 1949 here, including one that's misidentified as "0012/I"

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    There are 2 different cars pictured in that row of 3 pictures. Note that the picture of the car in the center and left photo have a different grille. Race #629 is 0012 I and race #630 is 002 C in the 1949 Mille Miglia.

I agree that the badge is not YPF, but what is it? I can't think of a round logo or badge about that size in that period of time, other than Scuderia Ambrosiana, and that's not the Ambrosiana badge..

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #95 El Wayne, Jan 16, 2005
    The third photo (see below) is the one that I was referring to as being misidentified. It is clearly 002/C and not 0012/I.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Sounds like an interesting story. More details? :)

22. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, and also if you scroll down further on that page, there are 3 more pictures of 002 C.

As to the Motto body that was on 002 C at one time, I would like to see it get used on something (if the body indeed still exists)

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Sal often comes up with some amazing stuff. He recentely came up with a period correct Jeager Coutre multi function rally clock/stopwatch which we're restoring and will fit as well.

24. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  25. chrlsstyles

chrlsstyles Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004