0052 M - ANOTHER Barn Find | Page 5 | FerrariChat

0052 M - ANOTHER Barn Find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Luck has nothing to do with it. Marcel has probably forgotten as much about Ferrari as most of us know :)

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0052 M will be at the XVI Palm Beach Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach/Fla.
    Marcel Massini

3. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    Congratulations! and respect...It's a fantastic work. I think that it's the
    legendary "Swiss precision" !

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I finally had the opportunity to read the article in Cavallino on 0052 M. Great article and wonderful photos. I hope to make it to the next Cavallino Classic to see the car in the flesh.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #105 Marcel Massini, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    christc likes this.
  6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    Marcel:

I for one am really glad that you posted so many of the pictures here that Cavallino wasn't able to include due to space constraints, or else ran pretty small. Gives us a much better flavor for the car.

To me, the backstory on these cars also makes for extremely interesting reading. The Cavallino article was pretty sketchy on those details, I'm guessing because the family requested privacy. Anything more you'd care to share about why the car was registered but never taken out, what the owner was like, how you came into contact with him/them, what you saw when the garage door creaked open that first time, etc.? I'm also curious as to why the hood doesn't seem to close properly, why the front of the car is so faded (presumably because the garage doors were left open sometimes and that's what the sun hit).

Anything?

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

What a GREAT photo!! I still prefer sepia or black and white to colour.

9. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier

I will be there!

-Jarrett

P.S. If there is anything that Marcel would not publish in Cavallino due to privacy issues, there is no way he is going to share it in a public forum :) That is an interesting question about the paint though.

10. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Marcel
    Can you tell us a little more about the discovery process. Did you track it down or did the previous owner contact you , as a noted Ferrari Expert, about the car. I'm sure all of us would be interested in any tips re: barn finding.

11. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    May I answer for Marcel and other barn find professionals

"Loose lips sink ships"

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

It's simple; they are all psychic!

13. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    just marvellous, with the original patine it looks like a treasure.

thanks for pics very nice too.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    EXACTLY. Why give up your secrets and increase the competition?
    (On a more ominous note, I knew a guy who had an inside connection at the local DMV and he would use his connection to track down Corvettes and owners "under the table" so to speak. Totally illegal. But then again, the world of private investigators and information acquisition is not always associated with NON-shady characters and activities!)

15. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I keep time today for read the different post, it s just marvellous to
    see that someone keep the car until oct2004 in the same condition
    tires, leather,...incredible the sensation to see that today it
    seems like a treasure investigation very exiting, no words for discribe
    this moods.
    one thing more, Ferrari makes me the same feeling since the first day i see
    the first one, on Tv in black and white.

16. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My god.. I'm just sorry I didn't see this thread earlier! (although maybe not considering those teasers..)

-Chris

17. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Hello Mr. Massini,

It is a pleasure to chat with you.
    Could you please tell me where s/n 0056 M, is? Since I'm Portuguese I have special attention on those sold in Portugal.
    Like 0040 M slod new to João Gaspar - Oporto, in 1950, and now in British hands.

Regards

Mont (Miguel)

18. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    I believe 0056M is still with Robert van Zyl. Driven in the Mille Miglia in 2004. Would be located in either Italy or South Africa.

-Jarrett

19. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Marcel:
    Thank you, kind sir, for the wonderful article on sn 0052. A wonderful story and a terrific article. I required my wife to read this paper to appreciate your authority on vintage Ferraris.

I am not sure I understand the section on Luigi Chinnetti's attempt at breaking his world speed record. On page 39 of Cavallino 154, you say he went to Monthiery to attempt to break the record, but did not say if he was successful. Then, on page 47, it seems that he was successful at lengths of 1 hour, 200 kms, and 200 miles. Is that correct? What happened? And does the current owner plan to not re-paint it, just leave the primer paint on the front?

Thank you again for a very fine piece,
    Ed

20. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thanks, Jarrett

I'll try to learn more on this barchetta.

Mont

21. traxter

traxter Rookie

Dec 31, 2005
    Dear Miguel,

First of all I apologize for crossing your conversation with Marcel Massini.

About the 166MM Barchetta Touring 0056M you can learn more on the site SportscarGT Portugal.

But a quick preview, and without using any written notes. This car was imported by João Gaspar and it standed out because of his color, blue metalic. The first owner was José Barbot, who used the car only as a road sportscar.

The car then was sold to Guilherme Guimarães, who raced this car in the early '50s in the portuguese circuits like Vila Real, Boavista and some minor events.

After the retirement from the portuguese circuits the car stayed in the country and after being owned by other nothern industrial endep up in the Caramulo Museum, property of João Lacerda.

Then the museum sold the car to a foreign colector, and has appeared in several ocasions. Nowadays the car is identified by a UK ou NZ yellow plate, very unestetic, and without the meaning of the portuguese plate PN-12-81 which was used since registration and could be seen on the many photos of this car on the circuits.

I leave one photo, provided by SportsCarGT and copywright of the illustrious vilarealense António Taboada.

http://sportscarclassic.com.sapo.pt/VR51_File0190_net.JPG

Best regards or

Com os meus melhores cumprimentos

F.M.

22. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Many thanks.

I did know that once it belonged to Dr. Lacerda. But after that...
    By the way great photo from Mr.Taboada.
    From your words I guess you're Portuguese too, so take a look at the Portuguese tread, you will find there many interesting posts.
    I'm always interested in Stories with old Ferraris, and since great Ferrari were sold to this quite unique Country, it would be great to know were they are now.
    As you know, there no words to discribe Mr. Massini in Ferrari world...

Era bom combinar um encontro com malta da nossa estirpe...
    Está-se a combinar um encontro para 2 de Setembro, no Porto. Apareça.

Abraço,

Mont (Miguel)

23. traxter

traxter Rookie

Dec 31, 2005

Dear Miguel,

First of all i apologise for the delay on the answer.

Yes, indeed, i'm Portuguese. Like you, I also have a great interest in the past history of our country, and in this particular aspect, the golden age of the Portuguese car championships (pre 74). After that date Portugal entered in decline and, for some years, was not a good place to live for many of the people that were part of that history.

Mr. Marcel Massini has indeed one of the greatest archives about Ferrari and his knowlegde is overwhelming. But about the Portuguese Ferraris it is very dificult to get a history, because of the lack of registry and the low profile of many of the owners. Many of the transactions of race Ferraris were made with no more than a shake of hands.

This is one of the reasons thats so hard to know accurate infos about the cars that pass by Portugal.

But the existence of great foruns and sites, like this one, is fantastic cause it allowds to unite many of the experts in this matters. But in the Portuguese case it is complicated because many of the owners and people from that time or passed away or don't use the new technologies in this way.

About the Portuguese meetings, I was in Oporto the July 22nd for a dinner organized by the official dealer, although I didn't make it in time for the dinner. Were you there?

Please send me the link to the Portuguese thread cause I can't find it. I would like to see if I know some of the owners.

If i'm around the September 2nd I will try to show up for a coffee.

Best regards

F.M.

24. mont

mont Formula 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Portugal
    ...Hope you can be with us next saturday or in a future meeting...

Regards,

Miguel

25. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    :D http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92676

Seja Bemvindo!

P.S Sorry for the hijack of this thread.