0233 EU - 212 Inter Cabriolet Ghia - COMING SOON | Page 5 | FerrariChat

0233 EU - 212 Inter Cabriolet Ghia - COMING SOON

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Nov 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool car. The original front bumper is much more elegant.

2. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    From the photo angles, it may be observation error on my part, but the spats from post 74 & 94 appear to be huge. That is in comparison to the published photos from post 99. Were the spats repaired/replaced by the current owner? Was it common to have spats back then on cars?

Thanks, David

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I think it has to do with the photo angle but also with the piece of sheet metal now at the beginning of the spats, which originally were not on the car. This is a minor detail that can be removed, of course.
    Yes, there were several Ferraris with spats. Also think about the white ex-Bill Harrah 400 Superamerica #2861 SA of the early 1960s.

Marcel Massini

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    And the original airintake (or just an ornament) will be under there? When was the car repainted? I suppose she started live with the blue color.

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #105 Marcel Massini, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    There is ZERO proof that the car was blue before. That Ilario model is incorrect. They didn't even get the chassis number suffix right and say "EL" instead of "EU". Never trust a model maker. They sometimes create models in all sorts of colors just to sell more units. They also say "Genève" on their tag, although, to my knowledge, 0233 EU was not shown at the Geneva motor show. It was shown at the April 1952 Torino motor show.

Marcel Massini

6. legoman

legoman Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2009
    Slovakia
    Full Name:
    Boris
    I am not saying that it was blue, I found photos of the model Ilario, so I had them on. Thanks for the warning.

7. legoman

legoman Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2009
    Slovakia
    Full Name:
    Boris
    According Ferrarissima 14, should be exposed to gray in Turin, the design should be the same version of Geneva. Please include photos published in Ferrarissima 14 page 29 to 32 chassis number 0233EU?

8. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I was thinking that saying the Ghia convertible of this thread was born as "0233/EU" was the joke of the year but now saying it was not shown at the 1952 Geneva show but at the 1952 Torino show is even better...

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    CORRECTION:
    It was shown 20-30 March 1952 at the XXII Geneva motor show. Not Torino. Apologies for the confusion.

Marcel Massini

10. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    They say the early bird gets the worm....
    Guess you must be up all night-all the time !!!

How do you top this ??

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #111 Marcel Massini, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Job well done, indeed! It's fantastic to see these brought to the light of day again. To my eyes and love of a good story, a dirty old Ferrari is more beautiful than any diaper-rubbed trailer queen.

Question for Marcel & Tom: What has the car been doing all these years? Was it non-op since purchased for $600 or was it retired later? How was it tracked down? Will it be restored or sold? Naturally, I understand privacy and "trade secret" issues may prohibit answers, which I respect. Any crumbs for this curious fan would be appreciated! ;)

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It was parked in a modest garage during 40 years.
    It may well be restored now and hopefully one day can be admired at Pebble Beach.

Marcel Massini

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #114 PSk, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    Hmmm, admired?, nope don't think so, but yes shown at Pebble Beach. Not a styling master piece in my opinion, but yes not quite as ugly as the Abarth Ferrari.

I do though see strong similarities with the Abbott Ferrari 212 Export #0165EL.
    Pete

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    The general line has something in common with 001S.

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, its not a design masterpece. But its unique and therefor a significant Ferrari.

Ciao!
    Walter

17. Rogerp

Rogerp Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Marcel, I note in "Making a Difference" you do not identify either of the two Ghia cabriolets (on pages 131 and 160-1) shown at Turin on the Ferrari and Ghia stands. Are you now affirming that it was defininitely not one of these two, or do you leave the door open that perhaps it was? Can you identify either of the two definitely?
    Many thanks.

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    0233 may not be the most beautiful or significant ever but to compare it to the Abbot disaster is not fare. just one man's opinion tongascrew

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Did I mention the Abbot disaster....??? Please re-check my previous post.

Ciao!
    Walter

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Abbot = Abarth?

Regards, Alberto

21. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Alberto,

English coach builder constructed 0165 EL's (212 Export) Cabriolet body. Most people consider it a complete failure as a design. The car has been rebodied.

Best,
    Dave

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes Walter didn't, I did. And yes it is significant because it is unique ... but I don't think it will ever be admired, which was my point.

It, and we, were very lucky that it was not period rebodied!
    Pete

23. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Well I googled both the Abbott and Abarth Ferraris. While this one is no stunner it is FAR better than either one of those. WOW!!!!!

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Dave, I thought it was a typo.
    Regards, Alberto

25. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    The picker found the car by blind luck. He went to an estate sale at the house and noticed an old car in the garage. He had no idea what he had found other than it was a Ferrari and Ferraris are valuable. I've wriite up the story for the Ferrari Market Letter. The first installemnt will be in the next issue.

Nembo1777 likes this.