0302 found in Venezuela | Page 6 | FerrariChat

0302 found in Venezuela

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by elmotorizado, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Confused! which chassis is this? thanks tongascrew

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Check post #76 and go into the "Branko forum". I believe there are pictures of the Alfredo Zanellato cutaway of 0302. Assuming that the chasssis of 0304 and 0306 are similar this will give you a good odea of the chassis designe. I am also wondering what chassis was used to build the replica of 0302 also shown in the Branko forum.The repro body has noticable differences from the original:no port holes,hood blister,uncovered headlights and no ridge down the center of the hood. My info on the original seems to end with the 1960s fire. Who has more info on the reproduction?? just one man's opinion tongascrew

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Cheddar, I once knew someone who had both S/N plates AND stamps which were dead ringers. I don't think it's that difficult to get duplicates (or reasonable copies) of the factory items. That having been said, some of the re-stamps are pretty awful, aren't they?

4. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #129 elmotorizado, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Bart, thanks for asking that question, I didnt undestand at the begining, but I got an email with a drawing that called my atention, the top one should be 501 tipo (I thought I found a 501) on the bottom you will see what is supposed to be a 625/735 TF and this is the one we have.

Thank you both, wish you knew how much fun I am having in this investigation.

The one I found that has 0302 and 0304 stamped

Check 039 S and you will find the story of that car

Can you explain what do you mean?
    Branko
    the attachment is for Barts question.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    What do you mean by 039 S?? No such s/n. Please clarify. thanks tongascrew

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, I have the Barchetta file. That doesn't tell me what I am looking for. tongascrew

7. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Hi tingascrew, if I undestood correctly, you asked about a 0302 replica, posted in my forum, it doesn say it is a replica, I refer to a comment made by Tasman in this thread message # 20 where he mentions that some parts of the original 0302 were used to rebuild 039S, hope it answers your question.
    branko

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    It's a start. As 0302 seems to have largely dissapeared[yes or no] this "replica" is what the issue is.I have pointed out the differences in the body from the original. The mystery is what's underneith, I suppose you could ask the same of a Marilyn Monroe impersonater. Frankly I am more interested in this 0302 impersonater.Maybe M.M. can help just one man's opinion tongascrew

9. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Tongascrew I am slow in english, what exactly are you meaning to, when you say 0302 impersonator.
    I have posted some more pictures in my forum from the back of the chassis, it is not a tipo 501.
    I am missing the coments of the experts, wonder why the silence.
    branko

10. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Indeed they are awful. Some, perhaps including the one re-welded on this chassis, don't even appear to be intended to pass as original. After all, from the era it was last raced, "original" or "correct" weren't of the importance they are now.

It's unfortunate (for us) that the serial stamps were generic but it makes sense. Post-war Northern Italy didn't need anything fancy so some simple British stamps probably did the job. Still, some fakes manage to be amazingly poor.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, I have pictures of a reproduction[copy] of the original Vignale 0302TF berlinetta[coupe], Refer to my previous post describing the car's body. As the original 0302 chassis appears to be lost I am trying to find out what chassis the reproduction car is built on. It you find out anything please post ir. thanks tongascrew

12. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Would be nice to see it, can you post it or give a link or send it so someone that can post it for you?.
    branko

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi because of copyright laws I don't post. If you send me your address I can send you copies. tongascrew

14. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Thanks my email is [email protected]

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I need your mailing[postal] address. tongascrew

16. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    It will never get here, thanks anyway, sometimes takes more that 3 months to get my bank mail.
    branko

17. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    #142 elmotorizado, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Branko, I am far from an expert, but the pics you have shown here are certainly food for thought, and take some time to analyze. In my humblest opinion, the fact that the car in Venezuela is also stamped 0304 TF rings a bell about it really being the long lost 0302 chassis, if we are to believe the particulars in Barchetta about 0304 and 0306 both bearing additional 0304 markings. It would seem that all 625TFs were marked 0304?

Also, it seems to me that the 0302T.F. stamping is too crude to be a real fake attempt.

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I for one have been waiting to see these stampings in full. I wonder if that first stamping was abandoned for the steel being so hard that no proper stamping could be made and then another number was stamped little further back. Would be even more interesting to know what the other surviving frame has under that exhaust - same 0306TF as visible in Bart's photo or somthing else.

Best wishes, Kare

20. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Have any other verified chassis been "double stamped" by mistake as this one appears to be? (be it a stamp done twice or one with another nearby like this) I'm just curious what those "real" mistakes might have looked like.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #146 BigTex, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    The trouble with 'remarking" and I mean by the Factory as well as others, is seen here in the last photo.....some peening of the pipe is visible, then if perchance someone throws a welding bead in there, to patch....you have a harder material than the original mild steel of the piping......

Somebody has spent a lot of effort on this......

I also tend to agree an attempt at misrepresentation would be far more elegant.

Probably looking at real artifacts here, trying to tell us 'the history'....

22. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    The last photo shows why I suggested extra wine at lunch, at least 3 trys with the last number.

I have been waiting on the experts, would love to know if my trip was worth it

Again the language barrier, could you explain the exact meaning?
    branko

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #148 BigTex, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    It looks like the number was done "in period".....at the time all the cars were together, racing....

In field conditions, in other words.

It has the casual look of a mechanic, in my opinion.

It appears "honest" as once complete the first failed attempt was left in place. Someone with "all the time in the world", that cared about appearances, would have welded over the other spot ground it smooth and made it "pretty".....two different mindsets.

"If at first you do not succeed.....destroy all the traces you ever tried..." LOL!

24. elmotorizado

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    Thanks a lot Tex, it was good that I asked, have a good one, this explanation makes me beleive my trip was worth.
    branko

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    A couple of observations. The last number on the left side stamping has been obscured/rubbed out. Could this have been a 2 ??. Also compare the body work on #204 car in post 24 of "302 Found in Venezuela" thread with the two recent pictures of the body with the boy in one and the man in the black shirt in the other, Look at the rear end and the roll bar. These appear to all be the same car.Finally the rear part of the frame is similar but not exactly the same as the frame shown in the cut-a-way of the original 0302. The cut-a-way is not clear in showing the shockabsorbers. One would assume that the traditional Houdaill units would have been used. The recent pictures show the remains of tube shocks, one if the many mods. just one man's opinion