125 and 159 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

125 and 159

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Townshend, Aug 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    I think this depends on size of fuel tank, or?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

It's really more the shape of the fuel tank. Note the shape in post 184. Note the shape of the fuel tank in 002C. Without moving that transverse you hit the curved tank. Or?

Best and Thanks as always for your insight!

3. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    #203 Michael Muller, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unknown to me actually.

Maybe this drawing from the GILCO website shows the tank more clearly:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'll post some more photo's tonight.

Best

5. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Thanks in advance.

michael at axos dot nl

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #206 Napolis, Aug 25, 2006
  7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Can't find good photo of fuel tank but will take one.

Best

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #209 ArtS, Aug 25, 2006
    While I was looking for fuel tank pictures, I came across this picture from Aardy. It looks different than others posted here, probobly it's just the lighting.

Regards,

Art S.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Michael:

THANK YOU for the additional photos. I agree that it could be nothing more than the camera angle, but the bulges certainly APPEAR to be larger in photos 3 and 4 than in 1, 2 and 5.

I realize that I might be being somewhat anal, but as a scientist, I would want more proof...especially bare chassis photos of ALL the cars involved, both when first built, and when modified or "converted" into a "new" car with a different chassis number, as APPEARS to be the case with 01C becoming 0010I (or 010I).

I'm still not 100% convinced on much about the very early cars and their history...especially as it is well know Ferrari changed things from car to car and commited fraud when selling some cars by producing fake paperwork; even as far back as the time when he was working with Alfa Romeo

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree that THESE photos are of 010I (or are we naow calling it 00101I?) and of 006I, but I am still not 100% convinced on photos 3 and 4.

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Art:

THATS the photo I was trying to find! THANKS!!!!!

Some of the numbers in the S/N on the above photo are stamped, and some appear to be etched in, or made with solder or welding rod. I do NOT think it is just the lighting!!!!

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #213 Napolis, Aug 25, 2006
  14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Stu,

Look at post 171, 158 and 155 then at the one I posted. To me they look the same except that someone 'enhanced' the numbers on the one in my posting.

Regards,

Art S.

15. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I respectfully disagree...

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim,

You live with the car and can easily see it in your minds eye. I must take your word on it as from the angle the picture was taken, I cannot tell how much foreshortening is occuring (difficult to tell the relative position of the crossbar to the diff in the photo).

Regards,

Art S.

PS. How confident are you regarding the accuracy of the drawing?

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All true. I do believe that the drawing is accruate as to the 125's having square fuel tanks and the 159/166 tanks being shaped like mine and I do beleive that a photo of 010I's transverse would be helpfull and I'm not sure why some hasn't posted one. I also believe that comparing my chassis with 010I's chassis and exactly measuring both would be instructive.

I have no doubt that Ferrari reused/restamped chassis from scrapped cars as Dr. Stu has pointed out and it's certinally possible this is the first case of it but without that photo and a measured comparsion to 002C I'm not SURE.

Best

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    With all due respect, the last one is different in my opinion...

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree 1000%; we need a lot more CHASSIS photos. The photos of the cars with the coachwork on them do little to prove anything, IMO....

Stu

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMO that 01C can only be read upside down from 010I and that all of the stampings are quite different than the stampings on 002C which Marcel posted somewhere on the site is interesting as well.

I do realize that stranger things have happened.

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    True, especially in view of the fact that Ferrari has been known to have created fraudulent papers going back to the 1930s, when he was running the Alfa Racing Team.

We also do not know if the "plug" over the number 01C that came off the car when restored at Symbolic, or even when it was restored in the 1970s, is the original plug when the car changed serial numbers circa 1948. There appears to be little or no period documentation with 01C/010I that shows chassis differences or alterations.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Art

Stu is quite correct about these stampings. His mentioning of the restoration that took place in the 70ies is apropos.

There is a well know FChatter who has been a Ferrari Judge at Pebble who has, and this is based on a very reliable source, stated that a person involved in that restoration made those stamps at that time and they are not original.

I was also told that this FChatter has given this information to the current owner of the car.

As with all of this this may or may not be true but not mentioning it is silly.
    I still firmly believe that exposing everything to the light of day and using Scientific process and Forensic investigation is the only way to find out as Bob said: "What's really real".

If the person who relayed this information to me feels I've mischaracterized it, or if the person who stated it to that person feels I've misunderstood it, please correct my post or let me know privately and I'll gladly post any refutation of the above, but I was absolutely told this and IMHO this needs to be cleaned up one way or the other.

25. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Again, I agree 1000%, but I don't know if it is even close to possible to find out what the real truth is. The supposed "change" of chassis number happened circa 1948, and I don't know if there is anyone still around from back then that was actually involved...and even if there is, he might have an agenda about the car. I just what to see as much documentation as possible on this car...I can then make a reasonable, scientific judement....which STILL might not be correct!

15 years ago, (when I first said that I thought 01C became 010I or 00101I) a LOT the information available now,
    (much of which I have never personally seen) simply wasn't available...