1600 mile 512 BBi to be auctioned by The Finest Auction House | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1600 mile 512 BBi to be auctioned by The Finest Auction House

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by geno berns, Apr 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fast forward. Summer 2016
    Sports Car Market magazine will report like this:

Lovely original 512 bbi, claimed to be 1600 miles , doubtful by some.
    Heavy patina on seats and assorted mechanicals.
    Bidding was fast and furious but stalled at $284,000.00
    Well below reserve. No sale. Will we see it again at quail or rm auction.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Fixed......probably with JB Weld.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe

New set of tires! Authentic Ferrari musk!

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #29 geno berns, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    You're a rare idiot talking out of your behind with out any knowledge to base your assumptions on.

5. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #30 geno berns, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    A few facts on the car. The car has been kept up with regular maintenance that included maintenance of the break system, injection system and lubrication of the extremities. Regular waxing and sealing of the paint. I keep all my dozen collector cars in tip top shape because I drive them regularly and understand how important it is for long term ownership. I don't flip in and out of cars often so keeping close attention to the maintenance is paramount. The last service was $7k 4 months ago at Continental Ferrari where Gary the service manager thought the car was top notch. I am not in the cult of the believers that these cars absolutely positively must get their belts replaced every 5 years no matter the mileage put on them. In fact experts know that there is no solid proof that there is this huge risk that comes along when the belts are not replaced as often as the factory recommends. Either way the car can use a service if it's going to be driven.
    I don't know if we're looking at the same car's seat but the car has no real wear any where in the interior. The drivers seat although has some ground in dirt has no wear in the leather nor damage. It's as easy as cleaning it to make it look perfect. If there was any wear and I wanted to hide it, I know the best interior repair experts that would repair and blend the bolster by dying it. In my car it's not necessary, it's just dirt! Some one brought up the red horns that sit inches behind the front grill. They are again in perfect shape with a nice layer of dust and dirt on them. No road rash as some one suggested.
    We all know Marshall Goldman loves ultra low mileage cars. He has his own privately owned collection of ultra low cars that include a delivery mileage Boxer as well as other cars. He had one of his top very experienced buyers to come to inspect my F512M w/14K miles and my BBi. He offered to wire money immediately $900k for both cars. $500k for the M and $400k for the BBi. With the M to be sold off as part of his regular inventory and with the intention of putting the BBi away as part of his personal stash. The deal wasn't consummated as we couldn't come together on the numbers but knowing how experienced and shrewd this outfit is has to go a long way in confirming my car is a high caliber very unused BBi.
    It's amazing how many experts we have here ready to make baseless conclusions. Why not look at the car first? Look for the basic indicators of very low use like the wear on the break pedals, how perfectly strait the top stitching is above the glove box or the condition of all the weather stripping on the car. All pristine. Instead allowing a picture or two determine it all. Here are some more pics of the car and it's interior with various angles:
    http://www.anamera.com/en/detail/car/36575/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=63

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

no worries geno. pay no never mind. a sweet car!!! you know it as do we.

pcb

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Superb car. GLWS.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    As a degreed Mechanical Engineer with more than 30 yrs of experience, I'd say that my knowledge on these issues is in the 'expert' category.

That experience includes work on one of the most prestigious Championship winning IMSA racing teams (GTP/RS and GTU).

That experience includes oversight of the preservation maintenence schedules on stored equipment that is FAR more valuable than anything in your garage. In fact, I'd wager that the annual maintenance expense was higher than EVERYTHING in your garage.

In my 'expert' opinion, the maintenance schedule put forward by the Ferrari engineers which cites a time/mileage basis for belt and fluid changes is spot-on. We are 'engineers' - not a 'cult' as you describe.

Dumping money into a car immediately before the sale is not 'maintenence' - it is however, a common practice in used car lots of doubtful reputation.

If you want to resort to personal insults as 'cover' for your indefensable position - you are free to do so. You just sound ignorant and rather foolish. If you want to convince your potential buyers that the car was regularly and correctly maintained - then publish the car's maintenance records. I will be the first person to applaud if the maintenence was adequate.

...or you can sling more insults and BS.

Records or BS - which is it going to be?

Best Regards,
    vincenzo

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Far too many times on F Chat..things get down to personal levels and good people get offended and turn offensive..Its a flaw in the system as myself included get a little disturbed by posts insinuating nonsense ...

I believe that Geno's car has the paperwork and provenance to back up 1600 miles ,
    I believe some people including myself are perplexed by a few of the pictures posted of various parts of this car..They in my opinion do not jive with the little to no use this car has received..

I have owned 7 512 powered cars in the past 25 years ,
    Including a similar to yours 84 boxer that I purchased from Rob Isringhausen with 800 original miles also.
    I drove that car 2000 miles and sold it.
    All 7 cars had 6000 miles or less.. and I am completely aware of what happens to a car without miles but just the onset of age.
    I am not as perplexed by the seat bolsters as many times people are just climbing in and out of the cars for nostalgia..40 years of nostalgia.
    What does perplex me is the undercarriage..
    there are a few shots of the rear suspension arms and engine underside as well as the tin work , that in my opinion only come with mileage and inclement weather driving.
    a 1600 mile car undercarriage should still be in show quality condition ..even at 40 years old
    In your car moisture seems to be an issue as pitting and rust are apparent.

Either way it is a highly desireable collectable and you will do very well at auction..
    Personally I would send it out to an all out detail shop that addresses chassis and suspension detailing..it would pay for itself 10 fold..
    1st impressions are everything when you are looking for a Ferrari.
    Boxers are in that in between age where its not really vintage but not modern..
    A 6o's or 50's Ferrari could or should be left alone to patina, while an 80's is too modern to look dirty and still be good for value.

GLWS..
    Best
    Michael

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #35 vincenzo, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BTW...

Here is a pic of the wear and tear on a daytona style seat in my collection. It is clearly in focus and brightly lit for all the world to see. It has nearly TEN times the mileage you claim on you bbi.

Compare this pic to the one of your car in post#3 and you'll see the difference that 'maintenance' can make. This assumes that your mileage claim is not BS.

The internals of my cars look equally as good.

Maintenance, not BS,
    vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Sorry you're right I shouldn't of called you a rare idiot. You're just dumb. You proved it again with your baseless assumptions: "equipment that is FAR more valuable than any thing in your garage". So you must know what there do you? A Miura SV, CGT, PF Coupe, 330 GTC and others have low value by your standards? Again you assume a lot with out much to go on and that's what I am referring too when I insult you....

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #37 geno berns, Apr 5, 2016
    You're correct there are extensive records that come with the car. In my previous post I indicated that the car received regular maintenance but the fool that commented soon after said: spending dollars right before selling is not proper maintenance. Asking to prove it like we're it's a court trial. Than shows off a nice and clean seat that's suppose to mean some thing. Easily could be the car's second interior or a good dye job.
    My car has not had any work done to it for 12 years. It's undercage hasn't been steam cleaned or degreesed. I could of presented the car in a cleaner condition prior to having it shot but didn't have the oporumity to do it. Who ever buys the car during the major can get the undercage and engine compartment detailed if that's what's important to them. There are others that won't really care. You state that a 1600 mile car must be in show quality cond. I was underneath the car and I was surprised how good the car's undercage was. It was dirty but in super shape. This is a car that gets driven on Chicago roads. Almost a decade of grime on the undercage as that area of the car never gets cleaned. It can't be show quality unless it gets a proper detail.

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    So then, rather than producing records of substance, you expect to rely on insults to substantiate the care and quality of your bbi.

No records - just overflowing BS.

The values I reference are WAY higher than you can even imagine. The referenced project is currently the highest valued oil and gas project in the history of the world. Valued at significantly more than 50BUSD.

So yes.... the stuff in your garage is not even a significant digit in comparison.

Our preservation maintenance (meaning: in storage, before startup) budget was over 20million per year. The individual pieces of equipment (of which there were many) that were being maintained were typically in the hundreds of millions. We had experts from all over the world that were dedicated to the preservation maintenance of their supplied equipment... GE, Rolls Royce, Nouvo Pignone etc etc

So yes.... I do know a bit about the maintenance of high dollar mechanical equipment and no - the value of your garage is squat in comparison.

Sad to hear that there are more cars suffering your neglect.

Thanks for the heads-up,
    vincenzo

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    OP, Ill make the following comments as a non 512 expert obviously.

A friend once said, 'pictures can make a queen look like a whore, and a whore look like a queen.' Most of the interest you will gather will be from online traffic via pictures. Any buyer will expect a 1,600 mile car to show like.....a 1,600 mile car. If it doesnt, the doors of speculation swing wide open. This is the skeptical mind of a buyer.

'Its only original once.' Agreed. But, steam cleaning the carpets, seats and undercarriage will do nothing but validate your price. There is nothing to gain by holding onto the 'its only original once' theory when there is visible oil seepage, road grime, chipped paint etc. on the undercarriage. Personally I would have the drivers seat bolster professionally corrected as its the first thing a person sees when they open the drivers door. Its like curb appeal on house thats for sale. Its the first impression for a buyer.

I dont know if the price is inline with other 512's or not. Im guessing the low mileage is commanding a premium over other 512's. Hopefully the auction reaches the $400k minimum or Goodmans offer of $400k is still on the table after the auction. Either way good luck with the sale.

I hope you take my comments not as criticism but what the average buyer will be thinking while inspecting your car at auction or online.

15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Side note, the Box is an easy car to drive around town. Good visibility for a mid-engine car from it's era.

16. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    You auto mechanics always have a chip on your shoulder. Glad you're so aggressive on using other people's money to do such great upkeep

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #42 vincenzo, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You have explained yourself very well.... it is easy to understand why you act as you do and why your car looks as it does.

Rgds,
    vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    this thread took a turn for the fugly.

good luck with the sale Geno!

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #44 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 5, 2016
    Well, do you tweet? Which is Trump and which would be Cruz lol! This is what makes Fchat so interesting. geno, awesome collection! I swear you sound a lot like my good friend Bob Zambelli! Love him. vinceno, I want to hear more about the racing! And why in the world can't Daytona prices move up! Spent time sitting with one this weekend noting they should be worth more. Drove her 1750 instead. But geno, I have to agree on the seat. Julie's BBi is 6000 miles and does not show that type of wear. Chances are you've been sitting in it with greasy pants lol. Hey just kidding lighten up guys...I looked at the pictures, and everything looks really fresh except that seat. The tool case looked like it just came out of the plastic.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its an interesting thread. Different people value different things in terms of how they judge a cars condition, very few have both.

21. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Perhaps I had it wrong....
    the seat to which I refer (as shown in post #3) is the driver's side seat of VIN:
    ZFFJA098000038713

Is that not the same seat?

rgds,
    vincenzo

22. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    Sheesh. Being around money and MAYBE having a little yourself doesn't mean you have class, that's for sure.

Good luck with the sale. I'm pretty much a fan of all Boxers, dirty, clean, perfect or imperfect.

Mike C

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Last euro auction results were interesting. A cleanish looking 29kms BBI stalled at $289K, and a more worn 512 BB went to 350. In the uSA BBI and BBs seem to fetch the same money. Condition of course is everything and I cant comment on the above cars in that regard.

365 BB still seem to fetch big money in the 400-500K range.

So yes very interesting to see what this one goes for.

24. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This post singlehandedly deserves
    " the bat upside the head award of the year "
    Geeze you are an idiot to say something like that .
    You must be a hillbilly.

25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #50 vincenzo, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Gee wiz Geno - now a prospective buyer will never be able to cross reference the mileage verses the tread wear on the original tires!

Amused,
    vincenzo