1600 mile 512 BBi to be auctioned by The Finest Auction House | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1600 mile 512 BBi to be auctioned by The Finest Auction House

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by geno berns, Apr 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    High potential prices have all sorts of cars like this one hitting the market. I take the sellers statements at face value, these cars had little market even five years ago, so quite possible it was not treasured the way one might expect for much of its life. But Vincenzo's observations make complete sense. Not unreasonable for this car to be the subject of heightened due diligence.

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree with this, for as much as my two cents are worth. If you're expecting to get 500k plus, which isn't chump change, why didn't you get a detail / cleaning / replace the leather (keeping the originals for completeness) to justify the high price to a potential buyer? In my experience the value the 'patina' brings comes in to account for cars from the 1940s and earlier.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If the oil filter isn't torqued to exactly 30lbsft, I'm out. That seat however shows far more then 1600 miles.

4. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    As The World Turns. A 1600 mile Ferrari unless it was forgotten and stored in a tidal boathouse should be flawless cosmetically. Mechanically is a whole different issue. Low mileage is harder on machinery than paint and leather. Remember what our forefathers say, " Ferraris are meant to be driven".

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm waiting for the moderators to shut this down.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Geno Burns' agent at:
    The Finest Automobile Auctions
    "He (Geno) notes that the bonnet paint was freshened as it was prone to fade as were the flat black lower panels. The remainder of the paint is said to be original."
    l------------------------------l

Gee wiz Geno -
    Why did you paint all the areas that are subject to road rash?

Gee wiz - - -
    Now a prospective buyer will never be able to cross reference the 1,600 miles verses the essentially zero (sic) road rash.

How could it fade while in an "environmentally controlled" garage?

Didn't the back of the car fade as well?

Why Geno, Why?

Ever more amused,
    vincenzo

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Be carefull guys with your saying. A car sitting in a place where it is shown to friends and family for it's entire life get a very used driver seat over the years with NO miles on it. Other than the driver seat the interior looks very good.

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Vincenzo, are you a district attorney? I'd hate to go against you on a case! :)

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    No - just a guy without an appreciation for being called a "rare idiot", "dumb" and a "fool" by a person who uses bully tactics.

Call me simple minded,
    vincenzo

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm going to drive my Boxer tomorrow. This thread is nuts.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I get the seat, if lots of people got in and out, thats not mieleage dependant, its entry exit dependat.
    You could also look at the clutch and brake pedal rubber if it has not been replaced.

As to the flat black on the engine covers. The oblong "air" induction lids which sit just above the intake manifolds will go from a gloss black to flat greysish when the unobtanium foam insulation on their underside disintegrates and heat from use gets to them, which may or may not imply something about the amount of use. The surrpounding black on the engine lid will not fade, unless I guess there is massive sun. The dashs do shrink pretty easily, so one not redone will show some signs of shrinkage almost no mater what.

In general I have learnt that its best to leave a really great older car with its minor paint blemishes and chips as it speaks volumes about use and condition to a "educated" buyer. yes some cleanup here and there, to remove tatty makes sense, each to his own. I repryed my fiberglass front and rear valence because to me they both looked tatty after 20K kms of proper "road use"

The auction market certainly does love blemish free shiney paint, clean undercarriage, books tools, jack not used, low mileage on the odo and "origionality" etc, over say fully sorted mechanicals, preferably a car has both, but thats is unlikley on low mielage stored cars, and the cost of a full mechanical refresh on a low mielage car will probably not be recovered at auction. Plus a new owner if they have alcue and wnat to drive woudl probably wnat to comission their own mechanical refresh.

One need only look at a site like canepa to see what premium a car fully prepped cosmeticaly for sale can bring. People will pay over the odds, and love to be able to buy what looks like a NOS car. Its Just the way it is, especialy in land where the cars are "collectables", and mostly driven to concors/C&C as opposed to DRIVEN. Here the car needs to run under iots own power, rather than run as it did on the factory test drive.

I guess if we are looking at non ropey non rundown cars there is coming to be a distinction between "time capsule" "preservation class/preserved" and "restored".

To me preservation/preserved in high mechanical order is the way to go, an origional car well kept never run down, seems they like that at pebble too, and these are cars you can use without aletring value.

A restored car is what is, in some ways it can be better than a preserved car as the restoration can have better paint and all the little maufacturign/mechanical build faults sorted.

Then of course we have restored that can be overestored, too chromy and shiney which sadly is the case in many restorations.

There is also the opposite where the paint runs are replicated, I get why its done but seems ridiculous to me, even though it may very well enhance value. The car is only virgin once.

Time capsule seems to sit value wise at the top of the food chain, even if the cars barely run, the less mileage the better..

I like preserved cars in great mechanical order or what the brits call sympatheticaly restored, which means everything wrong put right without going nut and bolt. These are in relality the hardest cars to find, cars owned by sympathetic drivers, and will usualy have a stack of maintanance receipts going back to day 1 which exceed the purchase price of the car, all of which is why putting car in a bubble and not drivign it yeilds the most "invcestment" upside. Maintanace in a bubble is the least and auction premium the most. Of course missing is the years of enjoyment.

But I have learned people buy and own exotics or nice cars for many different reasons, and DRIVING is not on the top of most peoples list.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Right Sean .... but for me: it's driving only :)

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Good writing boxerman. The problem is like anything else on earth, people don't understand or ACCEPT we have different point of view and preferences. We will never solve that problem.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes Mel I also like to drive my cars. My friend where my cars are actually stored is totally different. All very low miles cars that he almost never drive. That's how he's happy.
    0 miles on it's Honda Rune??? WTF Why buy it? But it's his choice and enjoy it this way.

He sits on it's nice red leather couch and look at them when he has some time.

I sold my Testarossa a bit because it was too nice for me to fully enjoy.

Like they say to each their own

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    While I do understand that some like to look and own, not necssarily drive, the criticism comes in in that these machines were designed and built to be driven.

The good part is that enough are not being driven, that in the future if you can afford it there are going to be plently of not too used older cars to buy.

Escalating values also mean many a car gets saved now through viable restoration.

teh bad news, as above, machines designed to be driven are not. But thats hardley as bad as new sportscars becoming Gt cars, really fast Gt cars, devoid of feedback and emotion, to cater to those who cant really drive in the first place.

16. *enzo

*enzo Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have personally inspected this car for a very discerning client. The car is as nice of an original example as you will ever find. Unfortunately we did not put a deal together and the client ended up buying a different car that was misrepresented and he regretted not buying this one.

Any serious and true buyer that knows these cars can vouch after inspecting in person that the car is as stated or better.

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

WELL Said... And Winner of Most spelling typo's of the Year award..!

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #68 vincenzo, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Let's see...

This is your third post here on F-chat and you have a vested interest in this car....

Yup - that was convincing.

Did you do a leakdown test perhaps? Since you personally inspected this car for "a very discerning client" you must have thoroughly documented your inspection.

Sure wish we could see some records and data. Now THAT would be convincing.

How about sharing the facts via the ppi records?

best regards,
    vincenzo

19. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Full disclosure I asked Andy to post his experience with my car. As I mentioned earlier he is a buyer for a very experienced outfit. He inspects a lot of various type of collector cars on a weekly basis and possesses strong knowledge. He was great to deal with and is a strait shooter. We were very close in making a deal on my BBi and F512M, but not close enough. He has no skin in the game and is unbiased. But I figured with all the scrutiny his opinion may be worth it.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Apparently Geno, Vincenzo doesn't believe in anybody but him. He can't take the words from someone who saw the car in person but has enough knowledge to judge your car from pictures.

Don't waste your time!

21. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Geno

Take it from someone who has been in this position before..
    This thread will dissapear when you stop posting on it..
    Otherwise you will struggle in vain for no reason..
    Ask me how I know..

You can please some of the people some of the Time.but you Can not...........

I would Kill to have your Car..

Best of Luck..

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Then buy it. You're selling your TR

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Golly, I would never have guessed that!

Still no data? Still no records?

Rgds,
    vincenzo

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #74 godabitibi, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Paul you read in my mind.

He could then make it super clean and serviced up to date. It would then be one of the nicest in the world with low miles.

Take superb pictures of it, wait about 6 months to a year and advertise it for $600K.

Do I have the right scenario Michael? ;)

Please don't take it on the bad side Michael, I'm just trying to laught a bit with no bad intention. I know you're working to fund your 288GTO dream and is OK.

But seriously my scenario could be real.

25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    See what I mean...
    You cant win sheite or shinola on this site!