1933 German BMW watch? | FerrariChat

1933 German BMW watch?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by renman95, Jul 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    #1 renman95, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last year at this time I was shown this watch on a trip to Stuttgart while visiting relatives. I did some research. It belonged to my great uncle (initials F. H.), a pilot for Germany in WW1. He participated in Deutschlandflug 1933. He flew a Klemm* monoplane of which I have his bronze medal depicting the aircraft and a 6" round porcelain commemorative.

I have found information on the bronze medal but I cannot find any info on the watch. I took pictures of the inside, markings are visible. I searched them as well. I could not find anything that looked similar or anything relating to BMW. It may be a one off. At one point I thought it might have been the engine manufacturer but the Klemm 33 was powered by Daimler designed by F. Porsche.

On this years' trip to Germany I was given the watch for keeps. As an aviator myself it means a lot to have this bit of family history...

*Hanns Klemm was a protestant and did not favor the Nazis. Because of his stance his aviation company fell out of favor and slowly died.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Pretty cool piece of history you have!

3. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    #3 renman95, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I might as well add the other items...

Here are the medal, porcelain thingy, and his compass. I was told that the compass was one he used during WW1. Mmmm, I dunno. He was shot down over North Africa, POW for the remainder of the war at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. I think it was one he used later on in 1933. Either way it's great to have it all together.

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #4 koisokok, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Very sweet! Any writing or markings on the internal's of the watch? The Crescent moon and crown, is a German silver mark, likely used by a German case decorator, watch might be Swiss.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    POW in Texas? That's pretty far transport for a POW.

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    There were POW camps all over the US.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's interesting stuff to know. I had no idea we had them in the US. I did know of the internment camps.

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I know there were more camps than on that list. I live in Palm Beach County, FL and there were camps in Clewiston and Belle Glade for German prisoners. Local legend talks about an uprising at one of these camps and the army issued a "no food if you don't work policy" which seemed to keep the prisoners in line.

10. BKitson

BKitson Rookie

Aug 9, 2017
    I must admit that is an awesome piece! Never seen anything like it

11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    BMW made aircraft engines. Their logo is a spinning propeller against a blue sky. That is a very cool piece....