1978 308 GTS EV Conversion | Page 10 | FerrariChat

1978 308 GTS EV Conversion

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Hutch, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I'm constantly impressed by the quality and effort of the build on this. Usually when someone starts a thread with lofty ambitions (electrify a 308!) it's a slow spiral downward into the financial abyss, taking hopes, dreams, patience and relationships with it.

The guys doing this project are no joke! The engineering alone is a sight to behold.

My only advice is make sure to use plenty of sound deadening material and ensure everything is either isolated or screwed down really well; the 308 is a bit flexy and you don't want to take away from the driving experience by constantly hearing creaks, chirps and rattles coming through the chassis. Electric cars are QUIET- you hear every freakin' noise the car makes, intended or not :)

Nice work!

Warren.

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Great point - Never thought of that. With the V8 music right behind you, I guess you wouldn't.

I wonder what the wind noise would be like going really fast? Also lost with the symphony of internal combustion. I love that sound going through a tunnel:) Such a great project 'cause the workmanship is fantastic, and you can't get a more beautiful body than the 3-0-8.

3. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #228 308Hutch, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Warren-

Spoken like you know EV's well and I can't wait to hear and record the sounds of the 308! Formula E in Long Beach was awesome. You could hear every bend and strain of the Formula E cars and it is an entire new set of sensations to digest. Hearing the sparks from metal on pavement, flexing frame, whining electric motors, etc....

Twin tractor belts will likely be pretty quite in comparison. More pics as every day we are on point in the shop to get the 308 driving....

- Dialing in console wires and switches
    - console & dash dimmer setting
    - Motor bracket and tensioner fitting (pre final surface finish)
    - Motor mount fitting

More coming in rapid fire....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    I like the binary nature of your controls- K.I.S.S :)

As for noise, IMO:

Mechanical (engine,transmission, etc.) = GOOD
    Structural (panel rub/creaking/buzzing/vibration,suspension bushing creak,etc.)= BAD

Putting some asphalt-based sound deadener inside the doors, front and rear firewalls along with acoustic foam under the carpets and these will go a ways towards making the car feel and sound tight and well screwed together vs. hollow. Again it's a flexy chassis and stuff likes to move around when you drive over the rough stuff. You don't hear it with a V8 behind your ears in a regular 308 but take away that NVH and you'll probably hear a bunch of other, less-desirable sounds.

Just a thought, YMMV.

Cheers,

Warren (look forward to seeing your car on the 4th!)

5. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #230 308Hutch, Sep 12, 2015
  6. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #231 308Hutch, Sep 13, 2015
  7. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #232 308Hutch, Sep 15, 2015
    A little re-arranging to prepare for Notor assemble and fitting....... A few electrical items wrapping up after 12 hours of clean up....

- Brake light switch installation and confirmation
    - Reverse light power
    - Horn relay and wire up
    - Wiper low/high & washer wiring confirmation
    - Courtesy noise button
    - Radio final installation
    - Dimmer circuit Dash/Console tee'd up for final Thursday
    - Door light LED confirmation, Dome light, Foot light circuit confirmed & wiring fixed
    - Wire tie up and final fitting
    - Pulled rear view mirror for a new cut mirror replacement...

....Stay tuned...

8. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    wow, looking great. For some reason your interior looks so refined. Is the dash covered in leather? It's that low gloss finish that really sets the whole thing off.

9. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #234 308Hutch, Sep 15, 2015
  10. badkarma308

badkarma308 Karting

Aug 5, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hutch,
    Coming together nicely. My GTB and gopro are standing by if you want a 308 chase car for the maiden voyage.

11. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #236 308Hutch, Sep 15, 2015
    1. Gauge fitting. Note custom Speed Hut Amp gauge.
    2. Verified fit of motor brackets w 3 motors. Found a little mill work tomorrow to finalize fit. Control wire routing issue.
    3. Final fitment in Mid-engine shown. Note three controllers above the G50 between rear wheel towers, in front of trunk fire wall. Contact Box on top. Room for dual chargers under controllers. Matter boxes 12x 2 in fuel tank locations. Estimating to add about 900lbs-1000lbs including G50 back into engine bay... TBD
    4. Contact box to mill tomorrow. Will be one solid grip of high-voltage cable managed through this point.

12. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #237 308Hutch, Sep 18, 2015
    (1) We pulled the motors apart to modify the encoder bearings.... We have seen several come back to the shop and need repeated replacement..... HPEVS has since modified the design, so we are basically updating to the new design to ensure smooth, flawless operation. Motor should be blocked together by days end today.

(2) 12v systems are 99% completed:
    - wipers/washer are restored to factory spec operations with speed button on console.
    - turn signals - confirmed and operating correctly
    - dual dimmer circuit/dimmer installed under dash. Console and dash on separate circuits
    - Toggle for horn/courtesy ring installed (friendly courtesy, I'm sneaking up on you Mr Pedestrian noise) so can flip between horn and "courtesy" ring on center button
    - molex connected console panel. UV printed labels directly onto carbon fiber. all switches in and operational.
    - All lights running, hazard, LED head H/L confirmed operational.
    - Waytek resettable fuse block tied up ands installed along with relay board. Note yellow relays are for the new window switches. Lots of available room on the board now..... A few other remote relays installed but total wiring left from OEM is just basic systems.

13. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Eric,

I really hope to see you at the 40 for 40 meet. I think its been about 4 or 5 months since I visited your shop and I can't wait to see the finished product. Also, I have a friend who is the sales manager of the new Tesla dealership up here in Santa Barbara. His dad just bought a 308 and they will be at the meet...I'm sure he'd like to see it too.

Henry

14. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #239 308Hutch, Sep 19, 2015
    There were a lot of small details for this first of a kind project..... 100's of hours of engineering and there are still some old fashioned fitment issues! But it worked and all is as perfect as you can get! The block is together and ready to start the in and out fitting to the 308.... Note that we milled out the side of the end flange on the motor to get the control wire out without being pinched by the motor mount flange... and worth noting that the polished shine on the mount bracket makes the power cables impersonate a mirror image of itself... A lot of craftsmen making this happen. This is a bottom view of the motor block BTW.

15. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #240 308Hutch, Sep 22, 2015
    Fitting the Triple's into the 308. Motor block assembled w clutch, flywheels and pressure plate, tractor belt pulleys on both ends and end covers. Bolted up to the G50 getting ready to weld motor mounts and tabs. Everything fits really well.

Weighing in at 360 lb +/-, the motor block sits far forward and really low which should bode well for performance. Certainly a great fit with solid engineering showing the hundreds of hours of engineering design work efforts coming together!

The contactor box is being milled out of solid billet aluminum and will look a lot like a classic Ferrari Cam cover when we are done. It is off to powder coating later today and then back to the mill for finishing touches.

A parallel build thread is on Instagram @electricferrari

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Wow - Great engineering going on! Well done.

I do have one question / suggestion... and it may be crazy, but have you given any thought to a "sound Generator" that mimics a Ferrari exhaust? to me that is one thing missing is a great Ferrari sound with an Electric car. I'd go for a 1970 512 S sound ...

17. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #242 308Hutch, Sep 22, 2015
    1- Cutting contact main box from billet aluminum slug
    2- Motors in place next to mid side battery packs.... located where fuel tanks were located.
    3- $ motor mounts installed and motors bolted onto from and G50.

Everything is in place. Controllers, chargers, contractor box up next. Then hi--voltage wiring. Tires should make plenty of notice for us! Not using noise maker. Don't want the weight or noise. It can be done and there are several options for those that like noise... But hard to replace a good motors real sound. :)

18. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Please get this done by oct 4- I have a feeling the crowds will be be swarming around this one. I know I will!

Stupid question about the G50- what determines shift points? Do you use a clutch to ease the strain on the gearbox when slamming shifts?

19. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #244 308Hutch, Sep 22, 2015
    Work progressing. Fitting and in. Lots of tightening, parts out for final work, and contact box inbound from milling and finishing.

The G50 6 speed trans will drive like a normal manual stick. AC-51's rev out and will have limits set by the controller.... more to come as we program the controllers. We have RPM gauge. 3 speed like a Telsa is less efficient than a manual multi speed according to article published in InSideEVs. 20% specifically. You can start this car in3-5 with ease or you can slam it well and let the clutch work its magic. 3rd gear all day without shifting if you want. But 5 up... hmmmm... thats is our recipe for smoking tires! (not to mention efficiency benefits (like overdrive),

Should be there OCT 4. In LA area on the 3rd (afternoon) in Palos Verdes area and will post locations as we drive around the hill.

Lots to do. Back to work.

20. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #245 308Hutch, Sep 23, 2015
    Thought it worth sharing the work from our friends at FastMill who are physically crafting the contractor box engineered and designed over here at EV West for the ElectricGT 308 project.

Both billet aluminum pieces are almost done.... Will post final photos later today. This box will sit atop the triple motor set up and be the visual and electrical "keystone" of the build. It is worth going all the way on this element.

- Single piece construction (no welds) for main contractor box body
    - Milled water tight lid (retro Ferrari cam cover theme designed into the cover piece).
    - Holes build tho accommodate the slug of needed 2o wires feeding through contactor box.

Check out the two trash cans of mill waste that goes back to be recycled for another use!

21. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    wow! Great new updates!

22. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    I saw the translogic episode on velocity channel last night where you guys talked about the ferrari and other project ev conversions, cool interview.

23. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Matt and Bucko are great guys. We had a fun day and remain in touch. Wait til you see their coming episode featuring this 308 prominently at a private track event next week??? Oh.... Woops.... Shhhhhhh.... Im sure we are not pulling insane hours delivering this project and forgetting where home is for nothing! Shhhhhh. :)

QUOTE=kaliforniakid;144215003]I saw the translogic episode on velocity channel last night where you guys talked about the ferrari and other project ev conversions, cool interview.[/QUOTE]

24. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Cant wait..... FC memebers are the only detailed build thread viewers. (w photos). Thanks for following and with what we saw tonight we are all stunned. More coming......

25. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #250 308Hutch, Sep 25, 2015
    Don't jump ahead to the last pic! Help me with weight issues.....

#1 What is the wet weight of a 308 --- wet -- Full tanks and fluids? Know what is published but your post with corner weight and total gross wet weight with all 4 corners is critical! This is a major point with the project...... The car was weighed tonight.. on all four corners... minus 3 items that weight is know (Engine lid, and 2 seats). Wanna guess? Post your guess and your actuals. Pre driving stats to be used soon.

__________ Todays update______

Busy days are at hand for the E 308! It will drive. Soon.

1 - Contact Box building is a very orchestrated effort of electric hi voltage wiring and conversion effort. The brains in the effort are in the "cam box" housed in a custom milled billet aluminum box. The contact box is an absolute piece of machine and custom conversion art paying tribute to the power house of fuel and Ferrari. Like a CAM cover but housing extensive electronic and electrical components that are the "brain" of the 308......

2 - Massive "I hope we don't need these" fuses for the front power plant.

3 - There Front Trunk (Frunk) is finally 1005 BUTTONED UP. A 12v dv inverter is going but will be inside or in the rear so the "Frunk" is DONE. Yes it is true... really ... yes... a year later. AAA anyone... who needs a spare?

4 - It just looks better with the 2-O Hi Voltage wire doing a 90 degree south to the rear motors..

5 - Well, ... darn.. so everyone paused tonight... this is a real first and the motor package after the excessive hours of planning, comes to visual (and almost running) fruition. The picture can speak for us. We were all moved by the this image of the motor bay. The main add will be the @-O Hi-Voltage wire that has had its wire runs mapped out with precision and foresight..... that is worth the next post...